1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When does kids start walking without support

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Nalinkannan, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Nalinkannan

Nalinkannan New IL'ite

My kid is one year old and now she doesnot walk independently. She just made 3 steps and after that she didnot attempt for that.
    She walks very well using walker but we want her to walk deliberately on her own.

Is there any special exercise/ or any sort of nutrient to be given for her legs to get strength.

Expect your valuable suggestions on this.

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

My boy started walking on his own only from 16th month. Exactly at 12th month he tried to stand and then we bought a walker for him (the car like one). Each child has his/her own pace at which they perform. I think you should just help her by holding her hands and walking few steps everyday. Don't worry about her not walking otherwise. She will do it soon.

Latha

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi nalinkannan,
    The normal age for independant walking is anywhere from 9 to 18 mnths so no worries. Once they start a few steps on thrie own it seems to take about a month before they really start walking - that's what happened in my son's case. He took his first independant steps 4 days after his first bday (he had been walking with a walker from around 10 mnths though) but is walking well only for the last 2-3 weeks (ie. at 13 mnths). No diet/exercise is needed nor can they make a child walk. They will walk when their brain tells them to.

Vanathi.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  4. janaki25

janaki25 Senior IL'ite

It is true that every child will develop at his/her own pace.Even my son walked his first steps on his birthday but then resumed crawling.Now he is in his thirteenth month and a few days back all of a sudden he started walking independently and has almost stopped crawling.So dont worry about this at all...it will happen when it has to happen.

5. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

My son started to walk around 15 mths.DO not worry.Not all children walk before 1 year.

6. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

Hi

Each child walks at different ages. It depends on the strength they have in legs and able to hold their body weight. My son walked by 13th month while my daughter walked around 15/16th month.

vani

7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Hi Nalinkannan,
    why are you worried she is not walking ?
    Thanks
    Mangai

8. sukri

sukri New IL'ite

Mine started walking at 15 months. Even that she did only after lots of encouragement / pushing. I heard walkers delay walking. You might want to get the "push" type walkers.

As my friend's grandmom put it.. children who start walking early don't fly in later life. They still walk! So don't worry! If you haven't started potty training, start now, so that she won't get up and walk away!

Krithika

9. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Hi Nalinkannan,

As everyone suggested here each child has his/her own pace.As she is taking few steps,she will start to do the walking soon.

So do not worry,once she starts walking you will have lot of work to do :) .Let her do in the slow pace

10. Nalinkannan

Nalinkannan New IL'ite

I am happy to inform you all that my kid started to walk independently in her 15months. Thanks for all your suggestions which made me cool :)