1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to cope separation anxiety?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by SupriyaDinesh, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Good to hear that supriya:) My boy is generally sociable but i found that putting him in the day care has made him very friendly. He says hello to any child despite the language barrier.

Moms... tell me if you think this is true. I have a feeling boys shed separation anxiety sooner than girls. At my son's nursery all girl's moms say their child cried for 1 month, 2 months but the boys not more than a week:) Also may be as Kavya says it depends on how caring the care-takers are. We have been quite lucky with both the nurseries my son attended. At the current one they have babies from 6 months and they never hesitate to carry them, cajole them (even 19 year old trainees do that so well), put them to sleep like we ourselves will do.

Vahee, if time permits, do you think you might want to drop off your girl at school for few days and then explain her that it's good to go by bus instead?

Latha

2. gayu_r

gayu_r Senior IL'ite

Hi Supriya,

I was on the same boat a year back. I totally understand how much upset it makes you. But the best part about it is that kids will get used to it and to your own surprise he will enjoy going there to meet his friends, brag about his new toy et al. There have been days I have left the day care crying myself, but if u peep in after half an hour, you will find that they are having fun out there, while you may be still pondering over it. Cheer up, keep your patience and keep telling yourself that you are not being a mean mom and are helping him to grow up.

Affly,
    Gayu

3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

4. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi gayu,
    Thank you for your reassuring words.
    Hi Sunitha,
    Thanks for the link.I remember reading it.Mostly on potty training for school and few more good tips.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  5. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi mommies,
    This week has been much better.He cries only to get ready and until we put him in stroller/car seat.He is not crying there.:)

6. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

Come vacation or a bunch of days off, the kids will go back to crying mode.
    I have realised that throughout the vaction keep reminding the kid once in a while that they have to go back to the school after ## of days. Otherwise it will be back to square one!

7. harini

harini New IL'ite

hi everybody,
    i have a son just started his 3rd year.he was actually going to montessori in India.but when we came here we joined him now in a day care nursery where he is going twice a week to school in afternoon.but he finds it very difficult because of communication problem(i think).he doesnt like to go to school at all.now for its 3 months completed but still he doesnt like to go.if i say u hav to eat,ask miss what u want.he replies i will ask to u n not miss.i wont eat what they giv,if i tell u hav to play,he replies i wont play.all time he is telling that my father will pick me up(like chanting).he just thinking all the time when his father will come.but his teacheris telling that he is playing,doing well. but he is quiet upset when parents r coming for pick up,n he starts crying loudly while he see us when we go for picking up him.its more than 3 months now n still he is worrying to go to school.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011