1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parent-Toddler activity

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by SupriyaDinesh, Jul 28, 2008.

1. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi friends..
    Life with a toddler is such a pressurized job.I feel I am losing all my time doing things for my son.Its so mundane and boring.We do lot of activities together..every day..But how do I grow(mentally) with this routine..its just stagnant..

Kindly suggest some ideas which will enterain my son and be a boost for me too..

2. paddubala

paddubala Silver IL'ite

Even I would love to get some ideas...My son is 15 months and is in stage of understanding everything we say. I try teaching him shapes and colours but he doesnt seem to be interested. He is in babbling stage and I would love to hear him talk.It wud be great to hear some ideas.Please

3. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I can understand what you are going through. I am also not great at playing 1:1 with my toddler. My DH is very good at it but I don't have the physical stamina that he has got. I try to find activities that both me and my son enjoy. I love to go out and meet people. So I take him out almost everyday. I finish off all my cooking before my husband leaves for work. So I get the rest of the day for myself. These are some of the places I take him to almost once/twice a week.
    1) Park
    2) Mall
    3) Play dates.
    4) Gymboree class and another parent/tot class.
    5) Hobby Town (It is a hobby shop with a Thomas train play area).
    6) General grocery shopping.

This keeps both me and my son engaged. I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Kavya.

4. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Do you have community classes near your home ?

Mangai

5. SupriyaDinesh

Hi ..Nice ideas..The problem is DH takes car to office..so I have no option of going out..

Mangaii.No idea about community classes..Let me google..

6. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Supriya,
    I have the same problem. We too have one car only, that my husband takes
    to the office. I don`t have enough energy to entertain my daughter (2 years)
    throughout the day. I feel exhausted.
    You can enquire in the local library regarding any toddler classes.
    Here in Simi valley so many classes are there. I am taki ng my 2 year old
    to one toddler class. They have variety of toys, circle time and art work etc.

7. paddubala

paddubala Silver IL'ite

Nice ideas...I have been taking him to Gymboree from his 8th month...My major handicap is that I dont have license yet...Have booked for road test on Aug 15th,,,Hopefully will take him more outside after that....I do have playdates for him within our apt..But I find that he doesnt find that entertaining enough :-(

8. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

I have a toddler daughter aged 2.5yrs. I bought many rhymes CDs to keep her engaged.I also give her scribbling book and a pencil so that it satisfies her seeing big brother (my son) writing.
    I take her for long walks in stroller with some hanging toys and some snack munchies so that its outing for her and good exercise for me too. :)

I give her plastic spoons (from dollar shop) and make her to count from 1 to 20 and give her some incentive everytime she does it.
    Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  9. LakshmiAnand

LakshmiAnand Senior IL'ite

Hi young toddler mothers
    great thread to start. i am mom to a 2 years 7 m daughter. we enjoy storry telling, finger painting, reading books together. the moment i start to feel bored with some activity, i switch on to something else. i also take her to the park where she has a set of friends with whom she plays to her heart's content.

I also let her do simple kitchen routines... like washing utensils... or grinding with stone.. ( of course, under my care and supervision)...

She also enjoys cleaning up her room and arranging things neatly.. so she learns to be disciplined..

10. SupriyaDinesh

Mommies. Good ideas...Thank you all..