1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pneumococcal vaccines

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by anupamakalyan, Jul 2, 2008.

1. anupamakalyan

anupamakalyan Senior IL'ite

Hi all

I needed all your valuable inputs on Pneumococcal vaccine
    This issue has been eating me upWitsend from the time I visited my pediac fr my son's vaccination

My son will turn 2 this sep 7th. and last week when I had visited the doc for his Hep-A vaccine, he told us about the Pneumococcal vaccine ad said you can giv it to your child if you want to!!..and it will cost 4k since the child is almost 2 and dosage would be more

When I started my search on it, I found out that this is given in stages like 2,4,6,8 months of the childs age and this vaccine i going to prevent all Pneumococcal related diseases like meningities and Other such diseases

I also got to know that this vaccine i effective for 3 years ie the time till my child will be 5

This is advised to children who have had a family history of meningitis and children who are left in group care(like day care)

Well I dont send my child to any day care, and neither does my child have such family history of diseases

So my question is
    Do I need to inject this to my child now?

I have lived without it, my sisters have, my hubby and his siblings(in short everyone) have survived without this vaccine...and do I need to give this vaccine to him now?

This would have been advisable if I would be travelling abroad where in some countries they are particular about the childs vaccination records...and I will definitely be not travelling with kiddo atleast in next few years....

I might start his school in an year....

and I have seen my brother's kids all fine and healthy with no issues without this vaccine

I am not worried abt the cost of the vaccine...I am worried about this new vaccine itself, I dont want my kiddo to be poked again, just because I wanted to be doubly sure that this disease does not affect him.....

Please all pour in all your valuable advice based on which I can come to a conclusion

Thanks
    Anu

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi Anu,
    Like you said already the maximum benefit of Pneumococcal vaccine is in the under 2s and those in daycare (also in some chronic diseases and in a child with frequent ear and chest infections). If your son is a healthy boy without any of these problems I would say skip the vaccine. In any case a child over 2 needs only 1 dose and both from the studies and my own experience with my son the vaccine doesnt cause any major problems. If you are very particular abt your child receiving every possible vaccine then wait until Sep when he turns 2 and get it (Less than 24 mnths need 2 doses).

Vanathi.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  3. anupamakalyan

anupamakalyan Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot vanathi

U helped me to clearly come to a decesion"of not going for the vaccine now"

Thanks a lot again for the input

Cheers!!
    Anu

4. Ashzia

Ashzia New IL'ite

Hello Aadhusmom ,

from past 2 weeks my frnd and myslf are discussing and thinking whether to give this vaccine or not. a month back i wnt to my baby's peadtc to ask abt pneumonia vaccine and he sd to be given oly if thr r cases of pneumonia in the winter. thn my frnd came up and asked me did i ask chk on this pneumoniacoccal. as am a first time mom i dont hv any idea on this n i tht of chking wht t doc. i askd him and he sd (my daughter is exactly 7 months n 13 days old) this is the perfect timing for this vaccine and that it wud be better to give this vaccine. i ws wondering wn i askd him abt t pneumonia vaccine y dint he suggest me on this pneumoniacoccal one. pls advice me if this is a compulsory one. though i saw ur earlier rep am not able to make my mind whether to give this vaccine or not.

would be really pleased if u would reply me on this.

thnk u

Ayesha

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Ayesha - this is not compulsory in India but it is in much of the West. So its really your choice. If he is at home most of the time, ie. no daycare, then skip it. If you are particular about getting all vaccinations and/or your LO goes or might go to daycare in the next year then get it.

Vanathi.