1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to read a book to the baby?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by nikkypk, Jun 25, 2008.

1. nikkypk

nikkypk New IL'ite

Hi,
    I recently bought a nice sparkly book for my 5 month old baby. I was very excited to buy her first book, and start reading it to her as soon as possible. But the problem is that she is more interested in trying to eat the book!!! Big Laughshe doesnt seem to have the patience to listen to what im sayin and keeps tryin to grab the book out of my hand. could some one plz give advice on how to teach that the book is for reading and not tasting??!!:idea

nikky

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi nikky..Its true that children love to taste books..Some of my options of books(both for reading and chewing)

1.Bath books-these can be used for reading other than during bath..easy to clean too
    2.try books with sound
    3.Sturdy board books- touch and feel type

try to read when she is in a dull mood..not when she is at her best active mood..esply b4 naps..

3. nikkypk

nikkypk New IL'ite

hi supriya,
    thnx for ur advice, the book i had bought was the sturdy borad type, and i tried reading it to her ven she was sleepy and i think she was more interested then...thnx :) ...
    nikky

4. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

How about going to some place like farms and reading a book related to that. That way they can connect real world and books. Showing a moon and star and reading a good night moon. Try reading books outside home. Or sitting in a rocking chair. Or singing along with rhymes book.

Thanks
    Mangai

5. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

Dear nikky,
    babies wont respond to books as soon as we start reading out to them....it will take time....but be consistant...keep aside some time everyday for reading....initially she may want to chew the book,grab it from you....throw it away etc etc...... but in a few months she will become interested......&start looking at the pictures&listening to you......dont be discouraged that she is not showing interest now....keep reading to her&soon she will bring the books to you to read!!!&then you will go crazy reading the same book 100 timesbonk keep up the reading habit!

6. nikkypk

nikkypk New IL'ite

thank you
    Mangai and Vidhya......i vil keep trying to keep her interest in reading the book :)