1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Distance from home to school

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by hereiam0111, Nov 25, 2015.

1. hereiam0111

hereiam0111 Junior IL'ite

Hi,

My daughter is 3 and I am planning her to admit into Nursery in next academic year.
    We stay in bangalore and there is one school I liked a lot. The reviews are also good. But the distance is around 15 kms from my home. If we shift to the nearby area, my husband has to travel around 40 kms for his office and I have to travel 20 kms.

I dont like my daughter to travel so much but all good schools are around 10 kms far.
    One of my friend's kid travels 10 kms daily to her school and my friend says it is okay to send her far. However, I am not able to digest the fact of 15-16 kms daily oneway :(

Please help friends.

2. srividya19

srividya19 Gold IL'ite

Please think of the rising Bangalore traffic also before you form your decision.
    I feel its better to join younger kids in nearby preschools.
    You also have the option of changing the school from Grade 1 by which your kid would be a bit older.

3. hereiam0111

yes.. but actually we stay in north bangalore and the school I am looking is near Yelahanka Currently there is less traffic, but like you said, it may increase so much in future. So I am still thinking what to do

4. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

Frankly more than distance, you need to see how much time the kid will spend on traveling. if you drop and pick her up, it will be less compared to school bus.

My son goes to a school 5 km away from home(which we initially thought is OK), still spends about 45 to 50 mins in school bus one way(in Bangalore), which is painful, they fall asleep in bus, tired, hungry and sleepy. I am now trying to find an alternative.

In my opinion, its better to make them travel as less as possible. Now, if that happens by you shifting, or by getting her admitted to some other pre-primary school nearby, that you have to decide.

5. hereiam0111

ohh.. Thanks AprilLisa, what you said is true. Still at logger heads...