1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler Breakfast Ideas

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by viki123, Oct 26, 2015.

1. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Hi All,
    I need some ideas for breakfast for my toddler. Since he goes to daycare and with morning rush, I want something that he eats on his own with least mess (like finger foods) or some times in the car.
    He wakes up at 6:30 – 7:00 has his milk. Around 8 or 8:30 is his breakfast time. Since last weeks I am giving him whole wheat toast with cream cheese or Jam or cheerios.
    I have tried pancake with cream cheese or jam. But sometimes he just refuses it.
    He doesn’t like idli and cannot self-feed with spoon (so no oatmeal or porridge). I don’t give him chapatti in the morning has he takes for lunch at daycare.
    Can you all please share some ideas?

2. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

Even i face the same issue.... My son has a glass of complan or milk in the morning while going to play school, he doesn't eat more than two mouths of any solid item that too after lot of compulsion...

Also suggest me some food items that can be packed for snacks... He is very choosy at times.... And he eats only few mouths of food it can be rice or idly or whatever it is.....

I was suggested to give Himalaya liv.52 syrup once a day for appetite for a month by his pd but in the beginning it didn't work then later one of my friend advised me to try giving the same medicine twice a day but for only a week. After this my son started eating properly. But this worked only for few days and again his appetite came down. When i tried to give him the same syrup again he refused to take it. So now i am clueless.

One pharmist suggested me to give hapenz syrup for appetite issue but though i bought it i was not sure enough whether it can be given or not. So please help me out...

3. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi

Fav post..
    I am in same dilemma everyday with my 15 months old. She can not eat with spoons by herself. Small finger foods she sometimes eats as she thinks its a snack. But mornings mostly she goes with milk. :-(((( I have 100 posts in this forum with similar issues.

Here is what I cook usually -
    1. Soft Parantha - cut in small bites - I try to knead dough with veggie purees, daals.
    2. I pack potato fries, sweet potato, squash - bake it in toaster oven. Many times I make them 1 day ahead,store and warm it next day. ( she hardy eats but I keep trying)
    3.Boiled potato cutlets ( make them ahead)..
    3. French toast -eggs , pancakes,

These things are hit/miss. My Lo I hardly see her eating happily in the morning. She plainly refuses anything in front of her but it might work for you.
    Later in the day, outside at park etc, if I eat some scone or muffin, she asks and eats but not at home ( in the morning)

I will keep eye on this post for suggestions for other ladies.

1 person likes this.
  4. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

i give boiled eggs( though the yellow is conveniently not eaten on most days), avocado chopped, chopped fresh fruit ( grapes, strawberry, banana) eats with a plastic fork, apple slices. sometimes i make sweet potato fries, saute carrot sticks, scrambled eggs, loves roti egg roll up. cheese sticks.

5. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@sreeram,
    [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Appetite depends on kid to kids. After taking milk they can't have breakfast. I make sure at least he has 1 to 1 1/2 gap after he has milk. My DS has milk at 7:00 and breakfast at 8:15. If he wake up late it will in car at 8:30 while we drive to daycare. Try to decrease milk quantity and see if he eats his breakfast.

@
    [/FONT]sanjuruby3
    Nice options, but most of those i pack him in this lunch. French Toast is it fav, i make it once a week from him. His tummy gets upset easily so cannot give him eggs daily :(

Previously is used to eat pancakes, dosa's etc since 2-3 weeks is just says no and i have to make him toast which is eats in car while driving.

@anahita5.
    My Lo hates boiled eggs, he eats it if spiced up with some salt & pepper or from curry, i mostly give him at dinner time. fruits etc goes in his lunch box, if i give him to Break fast, half of it on floor and i have to spend 10-15 for cleanup in the morning. This morning he has 1/2 toast and cheerios, more than half of the cheerios was on floor. I don't mind messup in the evening or dinner time, but morning is big no no

Also, he prefers to have his breakfast in car while going to daycare, i am not sure if its timing or he eats it as he gets bored in car. I would prefer some thing which makes least mess up, similar to french toast sticks. He like dosa, but it should not be sour (like 2 days old). Once i made muffins, he had next day he refused it, he needs different stuff daily. I am running out of ideas :idea

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

6. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

@viki123, milk is just an option only when he doesn't eat anything at all. My son is 2.5yrs old so i hope the amount that goes in is very less for his age... That's what everyone tell me... expecially my mom, but my mil says that he's far better than my hubby when he was at the same age.

Today he had half of one chikku and less than half tumbler milk. I had packed the rest of the chikku and three small bananas. Thankfully he finished the chikku but didn't touch even one banana. After he came home he ate two of those bananas and i gave him smashed 7-8 baby potatoes with little butter and salt and pepper to taste. He slept after.

7. sanjuruby3

anahita5 -Are "sauted" carrot sticks soft for 15 month old kids? How do u make them? I tried steamed carrots for her but failed.
    In the beginning I used to give carrot puree but my LO never accepted it. so now I added to her khichadis.

8. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

@sanjuruby, i don't like boiled carrots, sauteed is better. just cut into 1/2 inch sticks and put in a non stick pan with butter, cook till it is tender enough to chew but hard enough so the child can hold it, add salt if you like it. I am not worried about choking as it is all cooked.

9. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@sreeream,
    Appetite varies from kids to kids.
    I am curious to know other those he did not eat anything like rice, roti, etc just fruits and milk ?
    Try adding some more spices if that helps.

@Sanjuruby3,
    Other good option would be roasting carrots. I roast them in oven with some olive oil, salt, pepper, cummin and garlic powder. My LO like it and i make it for dinner as side for all 3 of us.

10. sanjuruby3

I recently tried poha patties. Check out recipe on internet ( I added boiled potatoes).

They are tasty but not really quick and takes pre-prep a night before and planning can be given once in while for change.

But my LO does not eat much in bkfast and if I am lucky, only thing she takes in is few tiny bits of paratha with yogurt or egg.