1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is this daycare helping in my LOs development mentally?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sanjuruby3, Oct 6, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

I have many similar posts fussing about my LO's eating, health issues and all that. Purpose of this post is little different. This time I want you to help me deciding if this daycare is right for her and having nanny back is right. I know its personal but suggestions would help. My H and me on not same side of this. We had switched from nanny to daycare 3 months ago as she turned 1 yr. Suddenly everything changed. It might be normal for kids which is why I am here.

My workload@home increased, decreasing my efficiency@work and increased rush in my life, thus my stress to make me think go back to nanny. Luckily my same old nanny is available.

She had few issues - like she was on phone all the time, her upcoming big vacation again ( which is why she is still not working) but still having someone known. I will not have to build up trust, confidence again.

At daycare- -
    They have 5 kids in her group all younger to her but more independent in eating/moving. I think she is not blending well in that group environment and yearns for individual attention. She likes to be hugged/kissed on and off.
    I have noticed few changes in her behaviour along time.

1. On Weekdays - evenings back from daycare - she is always crying, throwing tantrums, asking this & that screaming...does not stay calm at all. Weekends are better. She is usually happy.
    2. Does not eat well at daycare, does not touch milk at all. At home also she has issues but I keep trying and do different tricks to get few spoons into her. She still drinks for bottle and does not hold herself. For food, she can not eat her food though she is trying.
    With less time on hand, tab/rhymes, which were supposed to be my emergency aid, has become normal thing ( bkfast, dinner..other stuff)
    3. She is not a good sleeper anymore. Even at daycare nap, when she used to sleep 2 hrs, now she keeps waking up, moaning etc.
    At home from daycare, she comes home very tired and like falling by 7:00 pm but won't actually sleep easily many times. Then keeps waking up, crying whole night. All this is getting hard for my schedule.
    4. I think she has started feeling very insecure with daycare. She has to have her blanket and teddy always with here@daycare. Outside in sand, lunch table or playing...no matter what she does. But not at home. As I was also told by teacher, since everyone else walks or faster, she feels intimidated that she can not and cries even when someone passes near by her. When moving room to room, she feels left behind and keeps crying though she can crawl fine.
    5. She has her nose running and cold congestion 5 days/week , which is also not helping her sleep.
    6. I have seen my LO crawling after teachers :-((.. feeling she is left alone even when she is not alone

Leaving her there at daycare, and seeing her dealing with eating/health issues I feel bad mom guilt all the time. My H tells me not to pack any food for her or feed her bkfast, so we and drop her early and get to work early.
    She might eat bkfast in group and will not be our headache. But I can not do that..again guilt. Moreover she won't eat lunch there in group. If sent at bkfast time, she will get nothing in her stomach.

Then one more thing -
    Her teachers complain she will take control of all soft toys in room. When I come to pick her up, LO sometimes pick one she is playing with and do not give them back. Ofcourse If her teacher lets me, I would tactically get it back, but her teacher ( this one teacher) snatches from my daughter. Same teacher we have seen her scolding one of the girls in the room very badly. Latest, I saw her out in cold, standing holding table, and shivering, doing nothing, with piles of old/fresh nose mucus below her nose :-(( . I saw that recently.

So what do you suggest? Nanny might be busy on phone, might not do much to stimulate her, but will feed her. I will not see her out in cold or nose not cleaned, or eating own mucus. Once independent to eat her food, she can be back to daycare.

I do not know if she tantrums is her personality that came out at 12months or daycare But I just hope with nanny she will feel less insecure with more attention
    with us being able to spend more time with her. Now she is always clinging to me.

Similar Threads
    1. sanjuruby3
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sunshine04
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. sanjuruby3
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

I don't think that daycare is good. Your baby is only a year old and she already sounds so stressed. Nanny and daycare teachers should have a happy and calm personality. A mother's intuition is mostly right all the time, so if I were you I will look for a new one.

3. LuvLadoo35

LuvLadoo35 Gold IL'ite

I'm suggesting one more option which might be expensive but worth a try.Have taken tours of any preschools in your area. Your LO is at the right age to get started in a preschool in my opinion. My LO was kind of like yours but I did the mistake of keeping him in daycare till 2. I switched him to preschool and he has been doing much better. He still not at par with other kids who have been there since day1..but I must say that his fears and insecurities are vanishing...He is learning to socialize and shows overall development in his personality(including potty training, talking ,etc..)
    Regd Food its still a struggle for us every meal. He does not eat anything at school either..But we are hoping this phase will also pass away..
    Good luck and hang in there. Think clearly before you make a switch.

4. rcvmegas

rcvmegas Senior IL'ite

[FONT=vegur_regular]
    Sanjuruby3,
    from my perspective:
    1. Daycare is not a good option in terms of taking care of the little one as we expect...individual attention, feeding.. and so on. However it helps her to interact with other kids and pick up the language quickly.
    2. Indian Nanny would be a good option...
    let me know you are from which place...I will give you contacts if possible....Best of luck.

[/FONT]

5. paramlav

paramlav Silver IL'ite

Dear i feel so sad reading ur post. Don't u have WFH ? Why don't u try that ..she is feeling so much of insecurity i.e why she is clinging you all the time...same thing am facing with my kid my heartaches seeing that i have decided to quit my job . I can't see her like that . I understood only one thing only u can take good care after u grandparents who are responsible ..if not so good daycare

6. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

You have listed yourself the pros and cons. The benefits of having the nanny back would be a better option for your child.

Your child is not happy. She is never going to learn or pick anything from that daycare. You also seem to be not rested. So better to keep the nanny. Adjust during her vacation. The rest of the days you can be alt least tension free. Focus on your work and also spend your time with your kid without frustration by teaching or showing her things that would want her to pick. For a little child having a happy environment is important than what the daycare would offer.

The daycare that you have put is certainly not a good one. If possible, you can even lodge a complain.

sindmani likes this.
  7. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Honestly, I am not demanding or speak out much like fight. When daycare tell me small concerns, I laugh it out or agree. I never fight even for my own LO. But my H tells your are never happy. With nanny you were cribbing and now same.
    I know everywhere there will be small or big issues. No one other than parents, then grandparents can give best care. But no eating and having insecurities are bigger issues not doing good to her mind development.

8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Sanjuruby- What were your issues with the nanny? Why did you move her to the daycare? I am just trying to figure out the cons of having the same nanny. If you decided to send your LO to the dayare and terminate the nanny's services, there must have been a reason.
    For the daycare, this daycare doesn't sound a good place for your LO. Did you ask for recommendations from friends/ colleagues? How did you choose this place?
    Runny nose and snot all over the face is okay because teachers can't keep all the kids clean but standing in cold is not. Snatching a toy is a big no. A good daycare environment will help her get over her insecurities (by 3 months she should be comfortable and thriving). I agree with your husband, try to get her in daycare schedule: let her sit with other kids to eat her breakfast (you can offer something small on your way to the daycare), let her eat lunch that other kids are eating.
    Look for a different daycare. Ask people, spend time with teachers before signing your LO up in a new daycare, ask questions and don't stay quiet if something bothers you.
    My son was with babysitters for ~18 months. When we moved first time (he was 5 months), I sent him to a daycare but day 2 I realized that was a mistake. This is his third daycare now and he loves it. You can tell when things are not right. Trust your instincts.

2 people like this.
  9. stappe

stappe Senior IL'ite

3 months is a long time for a kid to not adjust to. They normally adjust quickly if they like the place. I believe its better to change the day care and also not to go for the same nanny .

You baby needs more attention now as she is growing up and with a nanny on phone its not going to help her.

I would suggest you to check for other day cares . Some day cares allow kids during open house , why dont u find some like that so that u can take your LO and see how she feels there ?

Also, another thing which I forgot to mention, 1yr is still a young age for day care, why dont u try a registered home based day care ? It will help her adjust to day cares as such

10. zales

zales Silver IL'ite

As someone else said, kids adapt much sooner than we would. So 3 months is a really long time for your child to feel at home and thrive in a certain place. As someone who once worked in a daycare here in the US, I can tell you that not all daycares are created equal. My vote is for switching back to your old nanny. (unless she was fired for a good reason) regarding stimulation, your nanny will have to step up her game because at this age, it is very important to keep them physically and mentally active. You can sign her up for various programs like toddler music classes etc. I did that with my son and he absolutely loved it. We also did a lot of story times etc at the local library. That way your nanny can just chaffeur your LO and just supervise her. The onus of stimulating the kid will be on someone else. Once she is a bit older, you can also check out the option of sending her to a montessori. In my area, they take in kids starting at the age of 18m and you can pick the all day option. They also assist with potty training. Good luck with whatever you choose.