1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Autism - officially confused!

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by anika987, Aug 5, 2015.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Early intervention came home,diagonized dd who is two and a half said she only need speech therapy and nothing else.they said she is almost there.she scored high in attentiveness!

offlate even b4 speech therapy started,she started speaking in sentences little bit.talks lot of words,etc.

ped saw her and says she is normal.

problem is speech therapist went to school and gave a huge concern list like not making eye contact,not listening etc but also said she is very surprised that when alone or listening to music she is very attentive.

i am dying here.each one saying one thing.

What I noticed is..

1)dd lives in jeans and won't wear anything else.

2)she throws tantrums once in a while if she does not get what she wants.once she gets,she calms down.

3)she does not care if I get injured and yells in pain.smiles,laughs,gets excited and gets upset.they r the emotions she knows

4) compared to how she was six months back,she has improved a lot without any help

5)she understands what I ask of her.she throws stuff in th garbage when asked to,eats on her own with spoon ,picks up shoes and socks when asked.understands basically.

6)eye contact not super great but she does.

7)she is not a picky eater,adaptive,behaves well outside in restaurants,does not do any repetitive behavior so tats ok.

8) does not share unless cajoled.

9) sleeps well.

10) knows and asks wat she wants but is not curious to ask me questions nor does have a conversation with me.

11) does not mind being amongst people but does not mingle great either

i do not know..dying inside.am not told anything properly nor do I understand clearly about autism.the list they provide online almost every kid has one of the points and also a disclaimer is given" not always does it mean if a child had the above they are autistic" wth? Nothing and nobody is clear.wats going on

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Anika,
    I am tagging some posters who may be able to offer advice. I am sure others will chime in.
    @laks09, @shanvy, @shwetasri to start with.

1 person likes this.
  3. Hosanna

Hosanna Bronze IL'ite

Hi, I am in the same boat too. All the points listed above i felt like reading about my son who is 24months old. By next week he will get diagnosed and we will know if he needs speech therapy or not.

Apart from speech delay i am concerned about him not being interactive or showing interest among other children in the park. Keep running in the park or mall wherever we go. Does not want to be in the crowded place for more than 5 min and so on. Have told early intervention all my concerns about my son and waiting to hear from them.

1 person likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@malstrom
    thanks for the tag. i am not competent enough to talk about the us system. and i am not feeling so comfortable talking about this when it comes to anika..anika nothing personal..

we already had a brush up on this when she started a thread earlier.

sometimes acceptance is hard. our child is perfect and we can't find faults. we find ways to justify that denial..so not sure of what is happening..

so i can only say hugs..been there..so can understand and i also wish you get better advice to come to a closure on this dilemma.

P.,S to parents who are in this boat, my only suggestion would be if you can get some help , get it as early as possible. early intervention and treatment is the best thing for your child. you can even get them out of the spectrum if it is just mild.

3 people like this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anika - As I have already stated in my earlier response to you in multiple prior threads, the only way you can help your child is by acting on behalf of your child. Starting multiple threads here will not help. Nobody here will be able to definitely tell you yes or no. I would go with your paediatrician's gut feel and get into a developmental paediatrician ASAP. Your child needs to be seen by a qualified person and they need to do a detailed eval to figure out what is going on. I believe I have said this to you multiple times. Also I believe I mentioned the school district eval will only be supplemental to the Dev pedis eval. School districts as a rule do not evaluate or give a dx unless they have a qualified psychologist on board and most districts don't. It's a long wait for the district eval and is a hit or miss. I have seen kids get a dx and then the Dev ped throws it out or are given clean chits and later are diagnosed by the Dev ped. Please don't waste anymore time and get an appointment with a Dev pedi YESTERDAY. If you get clearance from such a doctor you will be getting peace of mind. Why are you hesitating to see one?

sindmani, madras2018, Hosanna and 2 others like this.
  6. Hosanna

Hosanna Bronze IL'ite

Hi Laks, So far i was thinking my pead here will act as dev pead too and also the only way to get the child evaluated and to start therapy is by the early intervention of the state n follow up with them.

Now its clear and i remember you said in one of my other thread too about developmental pead which i totally forgot. I assume, there is no link between dev pead and the early start of the state. So, now i will quickly start searching for dev pd in my area to get my child evaluted. Thanks for making it clear.

1 person likes this.
  7. bron

bron Silver IL'ite

Hi @anika987 hows is your daughter doing now ? can you please update?

anika987 likes this.
  8. bron

bron Silver IL'ite

@anika987 i tried contacting yiu thru personal msg but ur profile is restricted..can you please ping me and inbox thru personal msg please?

9. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi bron..she is 5 now:)
    She is extremely talkative and doing very well in school.eye contact is perfect,clear in what she wants and socializes.The growth spurt has been great and all tests were cleared.She is fine.

Now I am finding ways to keep her quiet:) also you can message me.I will check my profile settings

Laks09, bron and madras2018 like this.
  10. bron

bron Silver IL'ite

You wont know how much relif ur reply brought me..literally i can point out everything u say which my daughter to does..and i read read ur concerns during 20 months too which matched my daughter a lot too..now she is 28 months old and my concerns matches yours..and i am in USA and i am scared if someone will bring up this..do you mind inboxing me? are you comfortable discussing here,? i habe few questions and concerns which i need to het clarified from you..will you plz help?

anika987 likes this.