1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need some parenting advice

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by cutemonster, Aug 4, 2015.

1. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Hi everyone
    I have a two and half year old who is speaking well for his age and is friendly but like most of the toddler has his tantrums. We were living in another area where there were hardly any Indians and my son was going to Library , park and gym etc for social interaction.he was mostly friendly except at times when he would be shy.
    In this new apartment, we have lot of indians and recently I met a new lady with a son who is around two years elder to my son.she once called and asked if she can come and so we had a play date.my son does not share very happily but when I tell me he does share his toys etc.so that day he shared his toys, trains and play dough etc with that boy. One day I had to take a printout and gave one to that lady and went to her home.her son was very rude and did not share any toys and in fact I politely told my son , ask bhaiya can I play with you ? But that boy was like he can't take my toys.I don't want to play with him.I was like its ok, kids will behave like this and dud not think much about it but today we met that boy again in park and he was really rude again.in fact we had gone and there was another girl and he took that girl and said lets not play with him.he was making that girl run saying , run run , he is coming .my son thought its a game and was laughing and running after them .then again at slides he was blocking my sons way.it was too rude and ill mannered.I was really hurt as my son was asking I want to play with bhaiya and this boy was bullying him.I talked wi th dh and he says , its ok , he has learn to stand up against this bullying. And learn if someone is not nice to us then ignore them but I don't understand how to teach to a two and half year old that someone is mean to you so ignore him.now I like that boys mom and would like to be friendly with her and we planned a outing to a library together but now I don't feel like going with them and dh is saying ignore , don't go but I feel that will be rude on my part but if I go and her boy again behaves like this then I will feel guilty for bringing my boy.
    Please share how to manage this situation. @shanvy, @ramyaramani @rakhi @nuss just tagging a few moms whose parenting advice is always helpful I feel.

1 person likes this.

2. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

I am a mother of 2.5yrs old girl and as a mother if I was in your place I would have slowly stopped this relationship. Just because his mother is good I cannot tolerate my child being bullied by some one.
    I don't know if I am right or wrong, but yes I am possessive like many mothers about my child and I don't see anything wrong in that.
    Coming to the hard facts of life, which children will have to face in future , I believe that will get developed over the years and when required. If you see many of us may not be very smart during our childhood days and mostly shy. But the hard facts of life did make us strong today. Similarly children will learn and grow by themselves no doubt.
    But since I am not comfortable, I may not prefer to send my child.

2 people like this.
  3. songbird46

songbird46 Gold IL'ite

OP,
    I know people say learning to stand up to bullies makes one strong. But you are not able to do it and you are an adult! Stand up to your husband, people, convention thinking.

You want that woman as a friend so you are ignoring her son's behavior. Your child will be affected down the line.

What you should do is tell the other boy gently but firmly that he should 'play nice'. He may ignore you, cry, complain. Take your child away from there, distract her & play with her in another area of the park. If your friend gets upset because you corrected her child, be cheerfully firm and say lightly, "kids will be kids". You will find out her personality from her reaction.

Before teaching your daughter that as a child she has to stand up to people, show her that that you have her back.
    Always be there for your kid. Teach her in age-appropriate language that it's not good to bully or BE bullied.

You will be teaching her not only that you are always there for her but that she should also stand up for someone else.

I did this for my kids. When they were in the wrong they were reprimanded and they apologized. But when it was a bully: older kid, teacher, relative...well, I weighed in until they could speak up for themselves, and for others. My elder one will just go into battle for the underdog.

You might make mistakes sometimes...I did. My kids occasionally took me for a ride. That's OK. They learnt the consequences of manipulation & I learned to understand them better.

It's not easy.

Read about it. Learn about it. There are books about it for kids. It's a valuable life-lesson you both will learn. She's your kid. Do right by her.

1 person likes this.
  4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

What does the mum do when her son is bullying yours? If she is neither explaining to him nor apologising to you, I wouldn't give much time to the friendship - with kids in tow. I wouldn't blame the child; the adults with the children should step up and ensure that things run smoothly at that age, IMO.

If an older child were being mean to my child when she was a toddler, I usually would speak up. I would say my piece to the child with a couple of darlings and sweethearts thrown in to soften the blow. - "Sweetheart! Please be nice. She is just a baby and she likes you. She is looking to play with you. Would you be able to be nice to her, darling? Now, let me show you how to be gentle. There. Well done! You are setting her a great example, sweetie." Or some such making elaborate eye contact and a smile plastered to my face.

If the child be being rough and adamant without slowing down to ensure mine isn't hurt/ upset, I would directly say, "Please can you not do that, darling? It is upsetting her. Is there anything you would be happy to share?" If not, I usually have a couple of toys in my nappy bag so that mine isn't bored; I'd pull it out at that point. If my child repeatedly tries to get something from the other - as kids are wont to do, I would just say, "Now now. He isn't in a mood to share just yet. Perhaps he will, in a bit. Let's give him some space." and distract my child repeatedly.

In your place, I wouldn't take it lying down if the other parent doesn't step up. Now that my child is a preschooler, I still watch out like a hawk to ensure that she is nice to the little ones or remove her from the spot instantly...

4 people like this.
  5. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I would step in and explain to the other child that he is doing wrong. Ask him to let your child go to the slide, discuss about the importance to share toys etc. I would not let it impact my friendship to the mother. Either she is not so well skilled to guide her child or the child is more stubborn/have more temperament. Small "fights" children can manage themselves (and it is good for them to practice) but especially with smaller children the adults need to step in and guide the children.

3 people like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@cutemonster thanks for the tag..will reply soon..need to type..i know you will understand buddy..

1 person likes this.
  7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Cutemonster- I agree with Guesshoo. You will need to be tactful here. I feel that you connect with this woman quite well and can be friends with her and it will nice for you to have some friends around because you just moved to new neighborhood.
    So, this boy is ~4 years old and I assume the only child. Your son is 2.5 yrs, quite younger than the neighbor's kid. The older boy might not see him as a playmate, however, that doesn't give him freedom to be mean. Next time you go to their place, take few of your son's favorite toys with you. If the boy says, No, you can't play with my toys, look straight at him, smile and say something like- sweetie, you seem upset, of course you don't want him to take this toy (the one he is playing with), would you mind if he plays with some other toy? And also tell your son- sweetheart, bhaiya will let you play with his toys later, why don't you share your toys with him now. If the older boy shares- praise him lavishly.
    For the playground incidence, I'm sorry OP, if I were in that situation, I'd take my child to some other playground equipment and play with him. As much as we want to make our kids happy, we can't force someone to play with them. Let him play on slides, swings and help him find his own activities. Try to introduce him to kids of his age. If the older kid hits your child in anyway- step up and say a stern NO. You can tell his mom nicely- I think ......is not in a good mood today. I hope you will talk to him about this incidence.
    I'd say give them (both mom and son) little more time. May be a few more visits but if the behavior doesn't change-you might just want to meet with the mom for coffee or something.

Your husband is right about learning to stand up for self but I'd say your munchkin is to little for that. If he were 4 or older, I'd have said the same.

1 person likes this.
  8. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Thank you girls, I agree that I need to protect my child and I know not everyone will play with him but I was just upset that this boys had come to my home to "play" with my son and my son shared all his toys and even his favourite ones but this boy was so rude when I went to their home. His mom is nice but she does not say much.I was not much interested to meet for another play date after this incident but she called up to meet and I was finding it rude on my part to avoid her. But when he was so rude in park too , I really dont think I would like to hhave a "friend" whose son bullies mine.

9. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@cutemonster In my opinion 2 years is too young to stand up for bullying. If anything at that age, they think it is just a game. If I were in your situation, I would talk to the mother. I would not confront the mother. I would seek her help initially. If she responds well, then it is good for me. If she does not do anything constructive, then I would decently move away.

Also before telling anything to the kid, I would ask the mother 'Is it ok if I ask your son to share his toys and play with my son'. Usually the mother itself tells her son to do so.