1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

toddler at daycare - help please

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by vidhya1984, Jul 6, 2015.

1. vidhya1984

vidhya1984 Bronze IL'ite

Anyone facing challenges with toddlers getting hurt while playing at daycare?? Help me please..

My 18 month old just moved to the toddler room ( 18 months to 3 years) at his daycare.. Before this ( he has been going to daycare since he was 1 year old), we never faced any problems.. daycare is overall good, good teachers, good food etc...

He moved to the toddler room last week and already been hurt twice...we know only as much as the teachers can tell us..they have video in the classroom but quality is so-so only...

Day 3 in the new room: Another kid tried to get the toy that he was holding. My son resisted, the other kid pushed... My son fell down and got hurt on his lip. Daycare did not call at time of incident. They told my husband in evening when he went to pick him up...

Day 4 in new room: My son was playing in playground... Teacher told us later that he was trying to navigate a step and fell down... He got hurt on his cheek... bruised like anything... he was crying initially but then got ok and started playing. daycare did not call us at time of event and waited till my husband went to pick him up to tell us what happened.

Other experienced mums out there? Is this common in toddler daycares? Am I over reacting in feeling that the daycare should have called us and told during the day? This is happening back to back and causing us both parents to be concerned...

My son is the youngest now in his class so I am worried.. Is this normal? Anything I can do to make him play safer...??

Little info about my son - he is very naughty but usually very careful in climbing down from couch etc...

I am getting so worried and guilty every time I see the bruise on his face... Its now an interesting shade of purple...

How do i communicate to daycare without them feeling that I am making a big issue out of this?

2. stappe

stappe Senior IL'ite

Hi Vidhya,

Its surprising to me that day care didn't call inform you as soon as he is hurt. Did you have a word with the director of day care?

Did you talk to your kid and ask him what happened?

3. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vidhya,

I dont get such info from my lil girl's daycare as well, but from time to time I see bump and bruises on her face. Toddlers get hurt often, aslong as its not anything serious,i really didnt want updates on it. During initial days at nursery i see my girl sitting in a corner not mingling with other children who play in groups. I wasmore sad looking at this. Aftter i saw her actively participating in group activities she got those bumps, and was also eating bettter because she was hungry by meal times. i wouldnt ask them to update on kids fallinfg/hitting every tieme they do, but overall i would remind them to watcgh over her because she is an active kid.i dont want to do it as a complain lest thew would exclude her from playtime activities

4. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

OP : Its abnormal for a daycare to not call you the time this all happened. I can tell what happens in my Montessori. When any such accidents happen they first attend to my kids and make sure he is ok and then they call to say such and such thing happened but the kid is fine now. Also when I pick up they will let me to sign a document that such incident happened. You need to sign a incident report if you don't it will back fire to the day cares. Did you or your husband sign such report? If you did then there is nothing you can do about it. When you get such reports and you feel its unreasonable you can resist to sign the document and make it clear that you need your concerns addressed before you can sign the document.

The incidents that you referred to here seems quiet out of ordinary. My son is 18 months too so I can definitely say something is off with teachers. I can understand they cant keep an eye all the time but kids safety is first and if such thing has happened back to back its time you have a long conversation with the director and if possible to move him to another toddler class.

1 person likes this.
  5. vidhya1984

vidhya1984 Bronze IL'ite

Hi stappe, This happened on Friday and the teacher who saw the incident was not there, so going to talk to the daycare director today. I will update after I talk to her...

My son is not a big talker.. only 18 months.. so he says yes or no to everything... thats all...

6. vidhya1984

vidhya1984 Bronze IL'ite

Hello and thanks for your reply!! Yes, they showed us an incident report. I never knew that we can resist signing the report. doh1...I will go tell my husband now... This is very good guidance for me!! So nice to hear that you have an 18 month old son too...Is he also going to daycare?

Even I thought the same thing that something seems out of ordinary.. We are going to calmly chat with the director today and hopefully not come out looking like a crazy over protective mum!!!:)...

We have been with this daycare for almost six months now, and usually we have a good rapport with the staff.. its only lately that I am getting suspicious... My husband feels our son is more active.. and says unakku mattum en indha maadhiri ellam sandhegam varudhu.... (translation: why all these doubts only you will get)...

Will post back after i have my chat with the director today...

7. vidhya1984

vidhya1984 Bronze IL'ite

Good point ILoveTulips,

Me too dont want to seem like I am complaining too much... But feeling like I need to understand whats going on!! So difficult to sit at work and wonder if he is doing ok!!

8. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Vidhya how did the talk with the director go?

9. Udasgirl

Udasgirl Bronze IL'ite

My 20 months old got hurt at day care few times .. it is very common as toddlers are very active.. Don't worry.. Mine got bruises on nose, cheeks, and swollen face as well one day but he was fine later (I gave him panadol just in case)
    Day care did not inform us when incident happens but told un in eve when we went to pick him up and we signed on accident report..
    Day care would call us only if it is serious/child doesn't stop crying after sometime/distress etc .. They usually call us if he is sick running temp etc or if he has blood from nose, loose motions etc but may be cause minor accidents are common in toddlers they don't really call immediately..

As long as he is ok and accident is minor don't worry.. I know it's hard I cried when I saw bruises first time but carer at daycare reassured me that it is very common and they gave hum lot of attention,cuddles, cold packs etc for comfort and he was ok later on.. He also did not look distressed after coming home so we let it go..

May be if it happens more often you let the manager know about it and ask them to keep an eye on him more..That way they would know that you are concerned and careful

10. vidhya1984

vidhya1984 Bronze IL'ite

Chitra, the talk with the director was ok ok... We spoke to her last week..We just expressed our concerns about the repeated injuries and that we did not get a phone call after the incident...Also told her that its better if the teachers keep a closer eye on my son since he is the youngest in the class right now and may not be as used to older kids running around..

The director was ok.. she kept nodding but she had the expression like " we know our jobs"...:spin... we were a bit grrr.....

Thankfully we also had a chat with one of his toddler room teachers who was very positive.. and she said.. yes yes we will keep an eye on him... she was also saying that he is very well adjusted now... and that phone calls are usually not made if the kid is not crying continuously and since our son started playing a few minutes after he got hurt, they did not call..

Anyways they are keeping a closer eye on him... so we have left it at that for now...

Will keep you ladies posted... Thank you all so much for responding with your experiences..

1 person likes this.