1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

3 year old twins query

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by anithakk, Jul 5, 2015.

1. anithakk

anithakk New IL'ite

Hi All,
    I have twin girls who are like 3 years 3months old,they are like very intelligent and understanding, they speak well, infact i find them matured than how we were when we were all small

i just have few minor concerns which i like to get advice for

1. They play on their own but they need me to just sit with them , they feel scared to go or sit in a room alone, For ex: if they are playing in their own in the living hall and i'm sitting with them if i move to the next room ,after few seconds thy just follow me to that room and continue d same game.....

2. One of the two is like persistant, for example if she wants something, she wants it, the other one sometimes gives it or at times she doesn't gve so first one gets upset and then itz like a fight begins,

3, of late they cry for anything and everything like "amma i want water(crying)" i saw i can only hear and understand when u tell without crying and i demonstrate and then we all have a laugh together...but thy do the same thing it is like more when we are tensed or talking with my spouse or when we are doing some other work....it is also more with my hubby.The fact is when thy are crying for anything and everything we lose our temper cause we have other tensions too in life. WE just have no other support

4. They actually love their school, cause on the first we took them to school, they were happy but by going by bus they keep crying what should i do?

Please guide me.....

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hi Anitha,

1. my four year old still tends to do this. Just let them be and converse with them if they follow you around. What I do with mine is that I tell her I am going to bring clothes in or make dinner or call someone. Then I do it without letting her disturb me. If she comes behind me, I just let her be; if she wants me to engage with her any more than I can, I just say "I can't watch you dance now because I'm cooking; you could sing and I'll hear it" or "I am on a call, I am not to be disturbed" and carry on...

2. If they sort it out between themselves, fine. Otherwise, tell them they have to sort it out if they come complaining to you. I would say, you teach them to NOT snatch. If one snatches, you go down to her level, put your hand out and say, "please give it to me." Insist that she gives it calmly but persistently. Once she has given it to you, give it back to the one who had it and tell them that they must share. And for that they must ask nicely. Snatching is not nice. Then, make them practise asking and giving. With my child and her friends we typically tell the child that the other would give it back after a count of 10 or 20. And we make sure that both take turns to count and pass it back and forth. It works quite well.

3. You are doing a great job already by making fun of it and reminding them to ask p rope rely. Yes. We have a lot of tensions but it is unfair to expect 3 year olds to understand that and behave accordingly. What might help is if y out weak their sleep schedules and ensure they get around 13 hours of sleep a day. At that age used to nap for 1-3 hours based on how much she has exerted herself. And sleep in the night for 12-10 hours; if she didn't get that sleep she would start whining for everything.

4. Is the bus safe? Are the helpers in it kind? Are they being bothered by other kids? How long have they been going by bus? Any chance you can continue dropping them? Since they seem to talk well, ask them. Ask them why they are upset to go by bus. Talk the bus ride up a bit; tell them how exciting it is etc. or if they spend too long on the bus, consider alternate options.

1 person likes this.
  3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Points 1-3: My daughter and son (not twins) did/do the same things that you have mentioned. It is a phase and it does reduce after a period of time.

4. Are they comfortable in the bus? Are they allowed to sit together? Talk to them to find out what happens during their bus ride.

4. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

These in itself are no issues of concern. Just provide them more opportunities to grow out of it by having them play with other kids, visiting cousins, etc.

Kids don't follow what we say, but what we do. Just keep them in social situations and they will grow confidence.

5. anithakk

anithakk New IL'ite

@gusshoo....thanks a lot for your reply, i do the same about snatching their toys, as u said i say please say"please give it to me" and then count 10, thy do it and after giving she says "my toy i want" It is more and more difficult when either they are tired or if thy sense i'm tensed, i hve to be super pleasnt,

About the sleep for example today thy got up at 6:30 so thy were tired whn thy came from school so in such a situation thy get too cranky,

as far as the bus is concerned, thy r nw ok going in bus, whn thy return thy expect me to take them both from the bus at the same time, imagine i took one first the other cries but it is only for 5 mins.As soon as the bus stops i take both the kids and hug them and then either make them walk or give one to the maid, but at tht moment it is like that....

@ Ramya ramani , thanks i too wish this is a passing phase, i'm just concerned thy don't pick any wrong character like, u cry u get it( thy just start already with a cry), one of the two wants the first attention, etc

6. anithakk

anithakk New IL'ite

@thoughtful, i too hope thy adjust better now that thy are going to a regular school