1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a problem?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by cutiepie66, Jun 21, 2015.

1. cutiepie66

cutiepie66 Gold IL'ite

My baby is 11 months old and she talks only these words : amma Appa papa thatha...my cousin's baby is also 11 months old..she speaks more words ...when asked her to say amma, she repeats...Though my baby is active otherwise, my dad said you arent teaching her to speak. yes I am not teaching her because of my work schedule (wfh). Does this mean that my baby is dull ? is that why she isn't speaking soon? why is that she is not able to talk more words? p.s. she said her first word when she was six months old. why is that she is not able to say back when I teach her?

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Hi OP
    Your baby is doing just fine. Your Pediatrician would confirm that. Don't worry, some babies talk fast, some babies take time. some don't say a word until 2 -2.5 when they are exposed to multiple languages. and all of a sudden they start talking in two/three languages. Once they start they won't stop. Enjoy these baby years and don't worry.

2 people like this.
  3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Babies are small individuals and learn in their own pace. You do not teach them to talk, they will learn by normal interaction.

1 person likes this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Please stop comparing.You will go nuts and drive your child nuts.
    Your child is doing fine.

2 people like this.
  5. Udasgirl

Udasgirl Bronze IL'ite

Your baby is ok
    Even my son is late talker.. I used to be worried but after his second birthday he has now started singing poems also.. But i remember when he was 11 months he was saying only few words like baba, dada etc.. but you can try reading books to him like pictures book and show his different animals, fruits, vehicles etc and you say their names loudly .. you may also try asking her to point to the object when you take name e.g ask her where is bus and show her how to point to bus in the book that way she will learn it and later will start saying words as well..

Don't worry she is still too small and she will pick up soon

1 person likes this.
  6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Every baby has a different learning pace. I am definitely noticing a difference between kids being exposed to more interactions and kids in nuclear family.

With my DD, she started saying couple of words when she was around 2. I was in India for few months. When we were in US, I used to have regular interactions with her.

With my DS, he has started saying couple of words at 18 months. I am in India for couple of months.

With both my kids, I noticed my mom teaching them to how speak. I definitely noticed a difference in how both my kids started using words rather than signs.

7. Visasri

Visasri Platinum IL'ite

OP
    my kid started talking a bit late. my dad too told me about this. but at 3 i hear what all she says at school and home, and in fact picks dialogues from her cartoons and uses in apt places. so let your child take her own pace dont compare

8. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Hi OP, 11 months is too early. My Son started talking only after 22-23 months. Everybody is different, when it comes to talking. Before they absorb all by listening. wait at least till 1.5 years, but if you want to know ask your child's doctor in the next appointment, you will e relieved.

9. Archnaraj

Archnaraj Senior IL'ite

Hi OP 11 months is definitely too early. I would agree with KashmirFlower. My son started talking only when he was 2 and half years old. Every child is different. They will learn things on their own accord. Please don't stress. Your baby is saying a few words which means he/she is observant and the senses are fine. I would not worry about this.

10. bhagya85

bhagya85 Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    There is nothing to worry about this!!! this is very common now.Don't compare your kid with other because its ones individuality.But its true that kids which grow among elders or kids which iteract with many people in its routine life seem to talk fast when compared to one which grows alone and in abroad(because my son is direct example)He didn't start to speak much when we were in dubai for 1 year .When he was 2 years we went to India for 1 month, so he was with his grandparents.We were able to c tremendous change in his speech. Kids actually need some change from their routine schedule.You will see some improvements in them.