1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Worms in stool for 2 yr old toddler

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sanarthi, Jun 18, 2015.

1. sanarthi

sanarthi Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

Greetings. My 2 yr old daughter passes loose stools and i also see some red worms in her stools. I give her Albenz (deworming syrup) every 6 months, but still she developed it. The main reason is that she plays in mud very often.

She even developed some kind of rashes ( Non itching) on various parts of skin.
    I am giving her garlic milk at night.

Is there anyother home remedy. Doctor tells that worms take 3 months to clean up. But she developed Iron deficiency. And doctor feels it is because of worms

Can neem leaves juice help. Can neem juice given to 2 yr old toddler? My daughter hold the breath when we give her any medicine out of compulsion and splits out completely. So i will mix all her medicine in milk and some other food she intakes. But neem cannot be done as such.

Please suggest me any other home remedy.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Sandhya

2. Rodrigues

Rodrigues Bronze IL'ite

Hi I dnt know any home remedy but my
    doctor says u can give worms meds wen needed not only every six months.try to keep nails short.try to distract your little one with some other fun activity.so playing with mud is reduced.out of sight!out of mind!

1 person likes this.
  3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@sanarthi De-worming can be done over a period of 2 weeks. It is not a single dosage.

Neem leaves do help and it can be given to a 2 year old. It is extremely difficult to mask the taste.

I would say encourage frequent hand washing. As @rodrigues has suggested cut her nails regularly. If you are potty training her, then ensure that she does not touch the potty seat. If she does, immediately hand washing is essential.

1 person likes this.
  4. oysterzzz

oysterzzz Gold IL'ite

My 4 1/2 yr old always used to complain about itching at the potty area. I never saw any worms in her stools but she was crying because of the itching, especially in the night. Doctor prescribed Zentel syrup. it is a small bottle of 10ml to be consumed as a single dosage. Used to give has for three nights continuously, that is 3 bottles. She had some relief. But again same problem every 2/3 months. So we switched to homeopathy. it is a bottle of tabs called Nil Worm. All the directions are written on the bottle itself. It is just a small tablet which dissolves in your mouth. The taste is also sweet, so my kid used to take it without any complaints. Try this, It worked well.

1 person likes this.
  5. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Eating tomato empty stomach in the morning help me when I was child. Do know about 2 yr old.

1 person likes this.
  6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

One home remedy here in USA (I cannot vouch if it really works) is to eat pumpkin seeds. (This is the orange pumpkins here but I don't think the variety matters as long as they have mature big seeds.) If you are preparing them yourself you scoop out the seeds with the slimy matter and lay the out on a paper to dry. Then you shell them and let the inside seed dry. You can then either eat them raw or toast them with or without masala and eat. Supposedly they work because worms have a protective outer coating that protects them from our intestinal acids and enzymes. The pumpkin seeds have sharp corners that scratch that covering and then our enzymes and acids kill the worms (and mostly digest them).

7. sanarthi

sanarthi Silver IL'ite

Thanks all Ladies. I tired neem leaves juice. it was hard to make her consume. I gave this juice in early morning. The next day, when she passed stools, she pushed off 3 Worms.
    So i gave her again some neem leaves juice today.

Regards,
    Sandhya

8. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

Worming happens when food isn't digested well.(i was told and maybe one of the reasons it is) . Our son used to potty every 2-3 days.. We stopped all biscuits (Maida items) still same.. Banana, kishmish etc didn't work.. He drinks one liter water and has dahi everyday.. He has all his kiddie teeth(20 of them) still he swallows food.. Mom suggested I mash especially his rice (he is constipated with white rice so I give him red rice mostly.. Rarely white) and now he is regular.. And Worming also rare!! I give deworming every three months!

9. oysterzzz

oysterzzz Gold IL'ite

How did she drink neem juice? did you give her directly or did you mix it in something else?

10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op ,whatever method you try,please keep getting her stool tested at regular intervals to make sure she is rid of worms. Worms can cause severe malnutrition and other problems in children.