1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler weight gain concerns

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Blueblue, May 24, 2015.

1. Blueblue

Blueblue Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

My Baby boy is 12.5 months. I have few concerns. Please any one help me.

1. I am still Breastfeeding. He is very much aware and wants only Bf. He asks me every 15 minutes due to this he is very clingy to me. Its so worse that he won't let me go even 10 steps away from him. Everyday cooking and cleaning is become a nightmare, he cries and cries if I enter kitchen. No toys or TV or any distraction is helping. I am very stressed and tierd. I want to stop Bf. please give me tips.

2. He hates formula, bottles, sippy cups, doidy cups or straw cup..I have tried almost everything to make him drink formula.. He doesnt want it. He doesnt even like cheese. The only form of calcium he likes is Yogurt. What to do? Someone suggested give him milkshake or soup with milk. Its very hard to feed liquids in spoon. He pushes spoon away and pours all over him.

3. I tried whole milk. I mixed in his porridge. He cried with stomach pain the whole day. I did give him bonnison which helped him for few minutes and again he cried at last he vomitted. What to do in this situation? I am really worried

4. My baby is very skinny. He is average weight gainer. We live in UK. Here Dr says he is okay as long as he is active, he is fine. Somehow this answer is not very convincing to me. I am not saying I want him to be fat or anything but not skinny. I can see his bones. I feel very bad. He is a very fussy eater. He hates food. I try variety of foods, take him to park, sometimes put rhymes on TV and what not. Nothing is working.

Sorry for long post. Can anyone please please help
    Thanks in Advance

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hello,

It is important that you stop breast feeding. My daughter was the same until about 8 months. Then I got the help and support of health visitors to stop comfort feeding and put her on a feeding and sleeping routine.

right now your child knows that by crying and refusing other food you will give in and feed him. Just stop. Have set times and plainly refuse to feed him. Wear clothes which are not conducive to feeding. Ideally start this over a weekend so that the dad can take over. Because the dad doesn't have the goods, you child will be calmer win him than you. The child will cry for hours; but the second you give in to his cries he will not hesitate to cry and make himself sick for twice as long because the clever little thing know you will give in.

Talk to to the health visitor. Have a plan for the day and try to stick to it. Like this:
    wake up at 7 with a feed;
    breakfast at 8;
    playtime;
    nap at 9:30;
    snack at 11; feed after
    play time;
    lunch at 12:30; feed after
    playtime;
    nap at 1:30;
    snack at 3:00;
    playtime;
    dinner at 5:30;
    bedtime routine (feed, bath, brush, story) at 7;
    bed by 7:30

In the beginning it will seem crazy but if your stick to it, it will work out in a couple of weeks. During these two/ three weeks ensure you do your groceries online and are mostly at home at nap times come what may.

At night he doesn't need a feed. Make his dad take over patting him to sleep. My daughter was so clingy that when my husband got back from work, I used to throw the bundle that was her at him to run to the loo. It was harrowing. She was not sleeping well either. Once I focused solely on the routine (with many many hiccups and major tearfests from both the child and me) and ensured it was in place, it was like I had a new baby.

I strongly suggest you contact your health visitor and say you are overwhelmed and need help with parenting. Get help with foods you can give and self feeding tips. If the dad can take time off the first couple of times the HV comes, it would really help him grasp the gist of what you are trying to do. Call them right away - you will find details in the redbook.

4 people like this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Remember this though. Your child could be very very cross with you when you refuse to feed/ pick him up. My daughter refused to come to me for anything but a feed at just 8.5 months because she was so angry with me - she would swat me away for two/ three days whenever I went near her. However we stuck to the routine though I shed many many tears and feared my daughter would hate me for life! Nope. Things turned out great

2 people like this.
  4. mimmyme

mimmyme Gold IL'ite

You will have to take little efforts to stop bf.....let him throw tantrums for a while..
    He will be hungry and will settle on food you feed him.

Take help from father...if you are out of his vision, he might welcome external food fast...

Good luck and have patience...all mothers have to go through this phase

1 person likes this.
  5. Sivasakthigopi

Sivasakthigopi Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Dont worry!
    Many ladies stop breast feeding for the same reason only!
    They also hesitates!
    It is enough for him to breast feed!
    First try to cut night time. Provide him cow milk(soak badham in full night in milk and grind and mixed in his milk).

Feed him enough breakfast, enough lunch, in lunch provide him yogurt and made him sleep at least an hour.

You baby will get weight.

And if he ask you to provide or ask you to be with him, simply take him and made him sit in baby feeding tables or in his walker or like that.
    You do work and keep eye on him!

If you continue BF, our kids are very talent in this generation. So they wont forget easily.

Dont Provide Bonnisan - It is only Jeera Water
    Provide Woodwards Gripe water - It is sweet but omam water. Hope you knew about Oma water in our child hood for stomach pain.

Daily provide this before going to bed in night!
    Still i continues to my DS. (Bonissan is not helps me in start so i change from 3 months onwards)

6. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Ladies have given you wonderful suggestions. Do not worry it will be over before you know it. My daughter also gave me a very hard time when it came to weaning off the breast but with a routine we were able to put it behind us but I still breastfed dd u till she was close to 2yo. Do make a fixed routine and try to stick to it. Do not worry about not eating, children will not starve themselves they will eat when they are hungry but stick to a routine. Studies have shown thatEven the pickiest eaters have sufficient needed nutrients but make sure you provide healthy eating options. I do not support tv and rhymes during meal time after and before mealtime/sleep time/ playtime in short I do not support tv that much. I put tv for my dd only when it's raining or weather is bad to go out and she is bored with playing inside but that also had and hour max. She has one movie night with daddy once in a week no tv other that thisl

1 person likes this.
  7. Blueblue

Blueblue Bronze IL'ite

Thank you each and everyone. My baby was not well so I couldn't reply earlier. Very Sorry.

guesshoo you are very right. I just give in when he cries. Whenever we decide to wean him something or the other comes up like cold, fever or something else.

HV came home. I had prepared lunch for him and we tried to feed him..in the sense we put him on high chair kept veggies, fruits, cheese, toast, pasta, rice...one by one with gaps as per HV...he dint touch a single thing. HV said its okay, leave him. He is fine. Hmm maybe but I am his mum and felt like crying.

When it comes to milk, since he doesnt accept formula and whole milk is causing stomach pain, HV said give him cheese (he hates it) and yogurt (he likes it). So yogurt is the only calcium he has.

When HV came my hubby was also there. He also feels our baby is very average in weight. I dont know where am I going wrong.

Thanks

8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@blueblue - Did you mention to his doc about his upset tummy after drinking milk? He may have milk intolerance or other food allergies. Best to rule it out before you wean him completely.
    Regarding regular food, put him on the high chair and offer. Don't feed him elsewhere and don't offer things like TV for him to eat. Babies are smart, they will figure out soon enough and eat when given food. Don't force feed or offer snacks and other fillers if he doesn't eat. Just offer again after sometime. Babies can't starve so he will eat when hungry. Btw, nursing every 15 mins is for comfort. Distract him. Play with him, go out for some outside time, keep him away from places you regularly nurse him at. You should ideally nurse after breakfast, then only after lunch after dinner and maybe before bed time. My kids used to sneak in an early morning nursing session in there as well. I would do it very early so they were hungry by breakfast time. Don't offer him juices etc. His only fluids should be water and milk(post meal).
    Dont stress, he will eat if he gets hungry. He will get hungry if he isn't grazing at the breast all day long. If you haven't already done it, night wean him. Night weaning greatly helps increase appetite during the day. Have Daddy go console him if he wakes up in the night and he will realise there isn't any nursing and go back to sleep. If you co sleep, you sleep elsewhere for a week and let the baby sleep with Dad. He will night wean automatically when only dad is available to pay him back to sleep when he wakes up.

Hth,
    L

2 people like this.
  9. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hugs to you. I have been there and I can imagine how harrowing it could be.

Laks has covered most of the things I thought of saying.

What at you need to remember is that he didn't get this way in a day. He is not going to change in a day either. It will take time, patience and consistency. He seems to be getting his calorific needs met by feeding - through the night, I suppose. Stop it, come what may. Back off. Let your husband deal with putting him back in bed. You make yourself scarce. Then, offer nothing but normal food. Even if he eats only a few spoons it is alright. Do not give him your milk as a substitute as it just fills he baby up without meeting the child's nutritional requirements.

He will refuse food on the highchair initially. Leave him be. Remember he has been doing this for nearly half his life; it will take a while to change it. It could take a few days; it will break your heart but the second you offer him your feed as an alternative, he will simply refuse being weaned. It is about the parents' attitude being tested by the toddler... We stay strong without caving in, the better the chances that the child eats properly.

Did the HV give you a sheet with mealtime guidelines? Talk to them again and again. Follow their lead. Your child won't eat immediately. Just let him play if he doesn't eat. After 30 min, put him in the highchair again. We did this with my daughter and she was a completely new baby in two weeks - once she had proper food inside her, her temperament improved, her sleep improved, her cheer improved.

Wean him in the night and offer normal food during the day. Pump and mix your milk with his food perhaps to start with so that he tastes something familiar. Categorically refuse the breast until he has had a bit of solids. I did that with mine. I repeatedly would say, "after the meal." when she tried to get to my breast. She figured out in a couple of days that she would get my breast once she eats.

Stay firm and strong. You can turn him around.

1 person likes this.
  10. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Blueblue I have 2 kids who are average weight gainers. But they are healthy and active. I BFed my elder one until she was 22 months old. I had to stop because I was pregnant. My LO is 20 months old and I am continuing to BF him.

My elder one did not eat before stopping BF or after stopping BF. She is a picky fussy eater. My LO eats well and I do BF him many times during the day. He is also skinny.

Do not suddenly stop BF. BF is not only a source of food but also a sense of comfort. Fussy eating may not be because of you giving in and feeding BM. Try baby led weaning way of feeding. Allow him to pick and choose what he wants to eat. This method takes time but it does have good results.

I have moved to India and even the paed in India says weight and chubbiness does not define everything. She is happy with LO and does not encourage force feeding. She is a reputed paed in Chennai.

The appetite level goes down after they cross 1 year of age. So it is quite natural if it seems like kids are not eating much.

Teething is a major factor at this age and the coming months. Molars and canines erupt making it painful for them. So with pain, they are not going to eat.

Since you are BFing, not drinking milk is not a major concern. Yogurt alone is perfectly fine. My elder one hated formula. She was allergic to milk protein so could not give her milk products. Now she was outgrown her allergies and she does have milk 3 times a day. Thicker porridge on preloaded spoons for babies to eat works well.

Cows milk causes constipation in many babies. So you might want to see if he is feeling bloated when he has whole milk.