1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

WORRIED ABOUT MY 18 month old KID

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by santhusen8, Apr 19, 2015.

1. santhusen8

santhusen8 Junior IL'ite

I have a 18 month old daughter and we both are busy parents , i work most of the time and my wife is studying for her exams ,
    Unfortunately i live in rural america and away from most of the indian community
    most of my friends are americans
    my daughter has never been in day care , as we tried sending her 2 to 3 times and all the time she got very sick and has to be hospitalized
    so she is at home almost all the time
    As i work for 12 to 14 hrs a day and almost 25 days a month , i don't get enough time to spend with my daughter , she always wants to play with me and i only spend 1 hr max on my work day
    my wife who is studying is unable to obtain driving license ( well she drove 10 times better than me when i got my driving license and better than most people on road )
    so she is not able to take my kid outside

Now a days i am feeling that my daughter is getting really really bored , she always points at main door to go out when i reach home at 9 ,
    i stay in cold climate so almost 5 month we were in a state of house arrest

I tried to take out her when ever i get time , i took her day care ,problem is she is not able to mingle with any kids , she is so attached to me that she can't stay away from me so i have to spend all the time with her in day care , she doesn't play with other kids ,
    even at the park she is not playing with other kids
    At the same time she is getting addicted to Rhymes , as we can't take her out we have to switch on TV atleast so she doesn't get bored ,

Other problem she doesn't get attached with other kids is she doesn't understand english

now a days i am seeing that she is more withdrawn ,
    So i got sacred took break from work and took her to zoo park and other places
    but she is scared of every thing , she is not able to enjoy any where ,
    took her to near by lake for boating , she is so scared

She is so scared of outside world , and i am really feeling guilty of not able to provide sufficient time to take care of her

i worried if i have been late in exposing my kid to the outside world

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

No, you haven't done anything wrong. It's not an irreparable damage.

I have this feeling that your daughter needs more time to get used to daycare. Most kids cry and have stranger anxiety. Some kids need a few days to get ok, some need more than that. Please consider introducing her to daycare again. Can you drive your wife and kid to the daycare and have your wife drop her off while you stay in the car? This is one strategy my friend used.

Your child will learn to speak English. Its not as if 18 month olds are having debates! There are plenty of kids speaking English at home who do not speak much at that age and older. Don't worry on that accord. You could try to introduce few sentences about asking for water, using the potty (if not potty-trained), say "Can I play with you?" to another kid.

Another option for your wife is to pair with another parent who drives and has kids the same age and arrange for play-dates. Based on comfort levels, they could go together to the library, park (when the weather is nice) etc.

You and your wife can also consider speaking about how nice the day care is, what great toys it has, what a wonderful teacher she has. Sell it to her.

Also speak to the paed, apprise her of the situation and get her opinion.

1 person likes this.
  3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

It takes time to get used to daycare. Start it so that the other parent is there for the first days, then leave the child for a couple of hours and gradually extend the period.

You can take a child out in colder climate, only ensure proper clothing. There are no parks/other children in walking distance?

1 person likes this.