1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Daycare or montessori for 3 yr old...

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by breeze01, Mar 24, 2015.

1. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

I am confused whether to send my 3 yr old to day care or montessori as we will be moving out in a month we have to plan to send him to either one as there wont be anyone to take care of him for couple of hours.. my parents do live near by but we dont want him to go there everyday.he is very much pampered and not behaving right so we thinking sending him to school might help him... and one more bad thing is we are not done with potty training...
    he doesnt boo boo as long as we put him pull up..doesnt matter its a day or two days but i dont want to see him struggling so we just put him pull up...
    as i am new to all this school i dont have any clue and we get off online on weekend i cant decide where to send him and how it works.. will it be okay if he is not even potty trained..what are the things they do at the school... which one would be better for his age...

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Breeze, whether to choose a daycare or a Montessori completely depends on what you believe in and what you feel comfortable with. When my DD was 14 months old, I joined her in a home-based daycare. I wanted her to be in a home environment at that age where there was a right mix of regulated play and motherly cuddles. She still continues to go there and in sept she will be joining school.

Since he is 3 already, maybe its better to consider Montessori setup where the day is more structured and school like. He will be starting JKG soon anyway.

As for potty training, here the public schools expect the kids to be potty trained before they start JKG. not sure in US

1 person likes this.
  3. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

hey rakhi, thanks for the quick reply as always... so montessori should be better then... there is one near by my house so we will be going there this weekend and check on how it will be... yes next yr he will be joining school.. here also same policy there should be potty trained thoroughly before they start school... i am little worried about that.. he doesnt want to do it in toilet... spoiled brat...

4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Hi Breeze, my advice would be to get a tour of both Montessori and the daycare you want him to send to. We looked at Montessori for our son (he is ~2.5) and didn't like the concept/ structure. My son goes to a daycare and he has been there since he turned 18 months (before that we had a nanny). He loves his daycare. You can ask teachers to help him potty train. Since most kids in the room will be using toilet, your son might want to try it too (kids like to imitate). My son is not fully potty trained yet either but we are working on it. Our daycare offers a lot of activities- swimming 3 days a week, once a week gym bus, ballroom, sandpit, dress up room, indoor bicycle track, outdoor play area, painting room with easels, number of projects, reading, singing etc. They have a very structured day and even my non-napper takes a 2 hr nap because they run around a lot and get tired. Most daycares also have a preschool/ kindergarten program as well.
    Just get a feel and see what you like. Good luck!

2 people like this.
  5. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

nuss, i been in the thinking of one fixed thing as daycare for babies, montessori for little older kids.. now i get it it depends on each place and activites they have for kids...let me tour around this weekend see if i can find one he would benefit from

1 person likes this.
  6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My daughter (now 4) has gone to nursery program, preschool and is now going to start montessori.

Each and and every school or day care brings out a structure in a kid. If your kid is of shy/silent/reserved category then I would suggest you to skip montessori. Montessori tames kids. But it makes a silent kid even more silent.

There are several schools/Montessori which help in potty training.

1 person likes this.
  7. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

oh my i only wish if he is shy/silent for a minute.... we looked the one near by we planning to go visit there in a couple of days i saw good reviews for that school....have to go check it to make final decision.

8. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

So true.

My son is soon to be 4 and he used to go to a traditional preschool until he was 3 and the last 7 months in a montessori. He is a super shy kid. Positives are he gets more individual attention and for shy kids, the extra attention seems very important. Downside is he is becoming more silent. In a preschool too, we had the same complaint - he is very quiet...he did not learn anything there...the teachers often did not even realize that he was around. We have now changed him from full day to half day(3.5 hrs) at the montessori...with grand parents around most of the day, he is opening up now...my mom now complains that they cant get him to shut his mouth...

1 person likes this.
  9. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

I have a feeling he is going to enjoy the montessori method. You will see him get more structured. Do make sure the one you are going to is a certified montessori....there are a lot of places that are not really montessori around.

1 person likes this.
  10. curiousgals78

curiousgals78 Gold IL'ite

Nuss,
    That seems to be a very good daycare which has so many programs for kids.
    Montessori would be good but the montessori nearby our home only takes potty trained kids. My son isnt potty trained yet. he doesnt show any interest on it. we had to reserve it before year and half to get admission. finally they said it will be available in septmeber but he needs to be potty trained.