1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

17 months toddler not speaking

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by patisa, Mar 24, 2015.

1. patisa

patisa New IL'ite

Hello

I would request you all to please provide your views. My 17 month old son babbles a lot. He says dada mama but I am not sure if he links it to us. He babbles a lot but I am not sure if there are words in between. He repeats certain words. For example :- Last week he heard "Aaja" and kept on repeating that.

He does understand some things like when i say "Here get the mobile". He will leave whatever he is doing and rush to the mobile. Also 2-3 days back, he had a poop accident, so he went and got my cleaning cloth. If we do not give him the mobile. He will pretend to bang his head on the wall. I say pretend cause he keeps his hands under his hand and bangs on the hands only. He does not point. However if he is hungry I can make out by the way he cries. Also from the beginning we told him this is your nose, so If we ask him where is your nose, he will point to his nose. He has a slight squint which we are thinking of getting him operated by the time he is 2. Is this hindering his ability to speak?

I am very worried he is not speaking and also not pointing, repeating some words. He is quite hyperactive. Please help. Is he on the spectrum?

2. JanSri

JanSri Silver IL'ite

Dear Patisa,

I think you are over-analysing the baby. Just enjoy each and every moment. There are lots of milestones in the development of babies and every single baby achieves his/her milestones on his/her own timeline. Dont stress and worry as they are very good at picking your vibes. Just enjoy each and every single moment as they come and stop stressing.

Happy motherhood.
    TC,
    Best wishes,
    J

1 person likes this.
  3. patisa

patisa New IL'ite

@JanSri

Thanks a lot for your response. I hope and pray your words are true. Worry is my second name. I just hope he is fine.

I would like to request @Laks09, @Shanvy to please provide their views if possible.

4. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@patisa:
    So far did you son have any problems with vision that caused any delays in his earlier months? Its always better to consult your pediatrician and sort it out.

From your post, it sounds like he is ok. I think if you give your son more time, he will speak.
    Some tips that might help you - anyways, visit your pediatrician:
    - Narrate as many things as possible as you do them (speak about everything like mama is getting milk ready for you, daddy/mama is leaving to office, mama is doing the dishes, baby <use your son's name here> is going to sleep/play/eat/drink milk etc)
    Speak to him slowly and clearly. From time to time, say you son's name, and ask 'Where is my baby<use name here again>?'. Teach him to touch his chest and show that its him. Slowly he will start saying his name and pick up words.
    Also ask from time to time, where is mama/dada... in case he doesn't recognize, teach him how to point.

- Make eye-contact with him as much as possible. Sit down or kneel down when you speak to him. Applies for others helping with your baby too.

- Give some time for him to reply/respond to you. Kids take time to process things. I have seen several times people ask my LO's name (to him), and he says after like a minute. But we are living in superfast world, where we want everything in less than a second. Slowing down and listening to him could help.

Don't worry, by age 2, your kid should be speaking around 15-20 words. You (and he) will be fine.

5. patisa

patisa New IL'ite

@Sparkle

Thanks a lot for your post Sparkle. No the vision has not caused any problems so far. He has infantile esotropia where the eyeball tends to move to the center. We have monthly checkups for that. Currently he has 20/20 vision. We just want to delay the operation as post operative care may be difficult and also I don't want to put him under general anasthesia.

I hope he starts speaking. He grunts and makes noises. However, I am just getting paranoid. I really do not know how to react. I will try to follow whatever you said. I am sorry. I am quite emotionally charged at the moment. Will come back and write a proper response. Thanks for responding and I hope and pray things work out fine.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@patisa:
    If it helps, note down the list of words he is saying and the way he responds (he turns around when you call him, claps his hands, tries to speak along with you etc.). Try and teach him simple words like mama, dada, baby, hi, bye, hello (use your mobile for this, pretend like you are calling him), milk, yes, no, cat, dog (can take him out or use visual aids), banana, shoe, book etc.

Its ok to feel that way. Sometimes we get worried hearing someone's random comment or looking at other children or just reading about what some kids do at a smaller age. Be patient, things will work out fine.

7. patisa

patisa New IL'ite

@Sparkle

I will try to do all that. Yes, he does clap his hands. If he likes something we speak or on the telly, he laughs. I will try and point things out. Maybe that will speed things some up.

Thanks a lot for the detailed response. I will keep you posted as I try to inculcate these steps.

1 person likes this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@patisa - Regarding speech, at 17 months he is too young to talk. Since he has been pre verbal, he may start making words by the time he is two. I've seen a toddler not speak until three and then start one fine day with nursery rhymes. At this stage, lack of speech doesn't point to anything.
    Regarding the activity level, it may be regular toddler activity, unless he is really over the top. Even developmental assessers have a problem making a distinction. The pretence to hit his head is just for attention. Ignore and walk away when he does that. That behaviour will go away.
    Pointing is sporadic. Some kids just don't do it. Try reading books and pointing to things and make him point to things. Stop giving him gadgets like phone and TV time. He is too young for it. Give him age appropriate toys and books etc. if he is on gadgets he may get engrossed in that and not respond. I use gadgets only when I need some bathroom breaks or while we are at a restaurant waiting on food or for therapy needs.
    If in a couple of months, you still are concerned I suggest seeing a developmental ped. Ultimately they are the ones who can say definitively. It'll give you peace of mind. Don't wait to see the Dev pedi beyond a couple of months if you continue to have concerns though. Small speech delays are easily fixable. They may recommend speech therapy or teach you how to do it at home.

Hth,
    L

3 people like this.
  9. patisa

patisa New IL'ite

@Laks09
    Thank you very much for your response. I try to avoid the mobile but he throws such a tantrum. He falls on the floor and pretends to hit his head, screams. I now keep my phone hidden. If I get a call, then he wants the phone, so he gets it for around 5 minutes and then I try to divert his attention.

Yes, you are very right that I should try giving him age appropriate toys. Will try doing that. Will wait a couple of months and see.

I hope and pray to God for courage. Let us see what ways the winds blow.

1 person likes this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@patisa do not panic. stay calm and relax. your child appears to be doing fine.

i am thinking the smartness behind keeping your hands over your forehead before banging..gigglingsmiley. (if you were to ask your parents or in-laws you will find there would be somebody who does that..sometimes natures ways are wonders..) my husband's nephews do a lot of things like him. from banging doors to eating.. so if he is throwing a tantrum, or vying for attention, if you can divert fine, if not just move away but keep watch so that he is not harming himself. when he understands that it is not working he will stop.

and you have 3-6 more months before you need to look at the development milestones more closely. he may surprise you by talking soon. until then keep talking to him,clearly, no trying to imitate his gibberish talks..be clear, be consistent about what you are talking and what it means..and do not correct him or force him to talk..go with the flow, and divert, teach accordingly.

wean off from excess e-time. be it tv or gadgets. play with him. give him other activities that he can try with you or somebody supervising him.

And be positive. stop reading too much on what is being written here. do not relate everything to your kiddo. do not compare. you will lose your peace of mind and sleep.

4 people like this.