1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My son not talking ... plz plz help

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Udasgirl, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Udasgirl

Udasgirl Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies

I have 21 months old son. He says few words (approx 20 words) but does not combine two words....He understand most of what I say and follows instructions like get something, socks off etc but e.g if he wants milk or water or food, he would just take me to kitchen and points but doesnt say food or milk when he wants it even if he knows what milk or food is and he can say these words as well... I tried hard to teach him (done everything).
    Also other problem is he knows who is mummy and daddy and says the words but he doesn't adress/call me as mummy. He has never ever called me mummy so far but if we ask him who is this (me) ? then he says mummy...or if my husband says go to mummy, he comes to me...
    I dont know how to teach him to call me mummy ....I hv asked my hubby to call me mummy so DS can pick but hubby is very busy and we are going through bad phase currently carrier wise so he is tensed most times - He does call me mummy in front of my son like 3 to 4 times in eve as that is only time we get with our son (he goes to day care & we both work fulltime)....
    He is eating sleeping well, plays good, takes interest in toys, books and happy to go to new places etc.... but his inability to even adress me as mummy is making me really worried as I hv seen many chidren younger to him call their mummies rather keep repeating mummy the most... but mine doesnt even call me mummy..... I really feel sad and worried...
    Ladies please pour your suggestions...

2. sugugiri2010

sugugiri2010 Gold IL'ite

Hi op,

some boys take time to speak... y dont u just take him to a doctor and ask for opinion. by saying so i dint mean that he has got some problem, but its better to enquire and know than staying clueless...

1 person likes this.
  3. tripletsmom

tripletsmom New IL'ite

Hi Udasgirl,
    Like sugugiri2010 says, some kids take their time to start speaking. My three babies were born together (triplets) yet one of my sons took a long time to start speaking. We were starting to worry seriously, but then he started with his words and later sentences. (I don't remember exactly when but I am sure he was not talking properly on his second birthday whereas the other two were. Now (at 37 months) he is the one to dramatically and eloquently talk about sun and moon and rain. So don't worry!
    To make him call you mummy, one way is for you to address yourself as mummy instead of 'I'. Like you say, 'mummy loves you', 'mummy will give you milk in a minute' etc. Always. He will pick up. Ask the daycare people if he the other kids in the place speak properly. If they do, he will also pick up soon. Also talk to him quite a lot..especially while bathing him, feeding him etc. Tell stories. If you are busy and he sits alone, show him a couple of cartoons/animations which interests him. He will start role playing like the characters in the cartoons and will do their conversations.
    Don't worry at all. He is quite normal. Enjoy your time with him.Later in the year one day will come when you tell him to 'stop chattering!' :D

2 people like this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Some children do speak late.Specially if they are able to get across their message without speaking.
    One of my daughter started speaking only after she was 2 years old...that too only basic words like mumma ,papa, dudu .......
    She used to suck her thumb and use the index finger of the other hand to point to what she wanted.If we didn't respond....she would point making rude noises.I took her to the paediatrician often.He would tell me all is fine.She started speaking normally by 3-3.5 years ...but she is not much of a talker even now.Speaks when needed.

2 people like this.
  5. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

OP, I would say that as long as you do not see any red flags, this is perfectly normal. My DS started to speak only at 26-27 months. And I mean words, not sentences. And till he was 24-25 months old, he had not said a single word. Very rarely did he say amma or appa but never used to call us that way. Would always point and say "uh."

Then one day, the day on which I returned with him from a trip to India, it was as if a dam had opened. He said the names of all colours-from there, there was no looking back. He said 10 new words per day. All the words that we had read out to him, taught him, words which he learned from watching videos etc.-we realized that he had been soaking everything in.

I too used to worry like you as some younger kids that we knew, both boys and girls that were only children as well as those that had siblings, used to speak sentences while my son was still not saying any word. But I would like to tell you that as long as there is no other delay, as long as he is able to comprehend what you say it should be fine.
    Pressurizing him to talk on the other hand might delay it even more.

If you are very concerned, you can consult the pediatrician.

6 people like this.
  6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

If you are concerned, your first stop should be a medical professional.

However from what you say, it sounds like your son is just a late talker. Keep talking to him, keep reading to him. Like sheztheone says the child will absorb everything.

everytime he is pointing and asking you for something, make eye contact and make the sentence for him - "mummy, may I please have milk?" In a slightly higher pitch to indicate to him that it is his line. And then you respond in your normal tone "of course darling!"

Keep talking to him. If he uses one word, say "car", you elaborate animatedly "yes! It is a car. A red car which went zoom along the road. Did you see it's wheels? The wheels in the car go round and round" and so on.

Sounds like he will pick it up. Your paed is your next stop.

2 people like this.
  7. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

Hi op, not sure if this will help, but my daughter talks a lot, calls everyone as I tell her to, daddy, aunty, etc. She never called me mamma till now, and shes nearing two. I guess I never gave her a chance as I met all her needs without her asking. May be there is more to it, but that's how I would like to consider. I would say that you are doing a good job as what you wrote sounds absolutely normal for your kiddo. Also to add to my owes, my dd calls me by my name not mamma. Take it easy, once they get going, you will ask when would he stop.;)

1 person likes this.
  8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP,

As long as your child is normal in other aspects, I don't think it is something to be worried about. You can;t compare kids, as they are unique in everything, including their learning and talking time. But as sheztheone mentioned, your one will boom one day just like a rocket... and hopefully your next thread will be asking suggestion on how to respond to his queries every day.

Speak in one language till he learns it

If parents speak different languages, their kids may get confused at the beginning; thus delay in speaking. Some parents speak in native language at home, watch serials and movies in native language, but when it comes to their young kids, they speak only in English. This may confuse the baby.

Talk with him more

Please talk with him more and more. You don't have to allocate special talking time for this. But just casually interact with him as much as possible. My DD is 18 months old. I speak with her every now and then. I tell her about everything... Eg:- This is rice, this is plate. Mummy is eating, this is tasty, this is salty etc..etc... She will actively listen, and repeat the words or sentences in their baby language. Which is funny yet beautiful to hear.

Also, address yourself as Mummy and not as I. Ask your H to call you mummy when the child is around. So, it will be easier for the little one to understand.

9. Khushi78

Khushi78 Silver IL'ite

OP
    Have u enquired with the day care whether he talks anything or not? Are the caregivers there acting on his actions only?. If he has smaller kids around there he cant communicate much so wont learn to talk. Children need to spoken more to speak more. My son started talking faster than my DD coz she used to keep doing some chit chat in front of him.
    Spend time to talk to him. Enact telephone talking and as many posters have suggested say 'mumma' in front of him more.
    There is definitely nothing to worry. He will talk sooner or later and will eat ur head with 1000 questions daily

10. Udasgirl

Udasgirl Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for your reply.... I wish your word come true and he start talking soon.... Yes I am talking to him quiet a lot.... and hv asked my hubby to adress me as mummy but he is mostly busy with his work and get very less time with our son in eve... but i guess i will start adressing mysels as mummy as u suggested....