1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Still Breat Feeding my 2.5 years Girl Child - Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by shrivni, Feb 26, 2015.

1. shrivni

shrivni Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Good Day to all. . .

Just curious! I am working mom and I am still breast feeding my 2.5 years Girl Baby. My mind is not letting me stop it, although she started eating normal diet what we have.

One of my grand ma, visited last week and she advised me to stop breast feeding, telling that it will not let her brain to be active and she will not study well that and this. . .

Just wanted to know if that is true. And how to stop it. Even I apply neem oil, she wipes it off and drinks.

Please suggest me better ideas to stop or shall i continue (i dont have any issues with continuing)

Luv
    Sharmi

2. abinayamadhavan

abinayamadhavan Silver IL'ite

i think its time you should stop it. my son showed some dislike when he was around 1.8 years old. Slowly i started neem oil and gav him bottle. Initial days were a big struggle. Later now he is 2.4 years old and doesn't use bottle anymore.

1 person likes this.
  3. abinayamadhavan

abinayamadhavan Silver IL'ite

My advice is you should advise the baby . i used to say my son hereafter you shouldnt ask as good children will not ask. And try to divert her by saying stories, playing songs. Or give bottle. Slowly you can change, not a big deal.

1 person likes this.
  4. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

Ya.... time to stop. Explain her that big girls dont do this and before she asks for it take her out for a walk or try to put her in a play school and keep her busy.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

OP, whether or not to stop breast feeding depends on the mother and child needs. At this point, she no longer "needs" the breast milk but if its a comfort source for her, I see no issue why you have to stop it right away. I have never heard of any delay in developments because of extended feeding. it is not unsual to find kids as old as 3 and half years to still feed from moms.

2 people like this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

As long as you and the baby are fine there is no time limit to breastfeeding. there are no negative impacts of extended breast feeding. All the negatives being told by people are all false. She still gets immunity from your milk and will continue to get those as long as you nurse. Nutritionally, she doesn't need breast milk because she can eat and drink other food but comfort is still there. It doesn't stop at a certain age.
    You need to stop only when either you or her are ready. Sometimes she may surprise you by weaning herself!

4 people like this.
  7. shrivni

shrivni Silver IL'ite

Thank you friends for your replies. It is certainly a comfort for her. I breast feed her only on the nights now. And that is mainly because that she misses me the whole day. And I am not satisfied with her food intake during the day and by feeding I feel I give nutrition's to her.

And we didn't give her bottle milk right from first. She takes it in cups. So couldn't do that also.

I tell her stories and all. But will not be able to take a walk as I will reach home after 9.30 only.

If that is not going to be an issue, I feel I can continue feeding her.

1 person likes this.
  8. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

There is nothing harmful continuing breastfeeding if you are ok with it. My granddaughter stopped when she was 5 year old :D. My daughter had then discussed it with her, she threw a party (invited the closest family and some friends) with a lot of cakes to celebrate that she is now big enough to leave the bf behind. My granddaughter was very happy and proud. When bf a toddler it is not so much about nutrition, it is mainly a way to comfort the child.

4 people like this.
  9. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

Enjoy your motherhood. this is between a mother and a daughter!:) She is lucky:)

2 people like this.
  10. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite