1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Regarding teaching

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by hope2b, Feb 23, 2015.

1. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

I am not sure if this is good or bad, but can you moms give me your view? My dd is 20 months old. She knows her alphabet small/big, numbers to 30, colors, shapes, animals, their sounds, few rhymes with lyrics. We ask her any of the above in random or order and she is able to answer back. We are absolutely not going to send her to preschool etc. Nursery is another year later, which is when she will be learning all the above. Will she get bored of them when we join her. Have I spoiled her learning ? She has been into books and this stuff since she turned one and she seems to have a very good memory. Few people in our circle have started commenting on how we are teaching stuff ahead of time. She has lots of books. She loves the cat in the hat book.

I used to feed her showing plenty of rhymes, which is where she learned from. Now I have reduced it quite a bit. I keep hearing these comments from my own family and outsiders, which are pretty rude. My daughter is very happy, healthy, and plays plenty. I did keep telling her stories, did teach bunch of stuff while playing and nothing like a teacher or as an order. I am confused now. Did I take away her school stuff? Please pour in your views. Please, anyone??

3 people like this.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Mom, you did good. Give yourself a pat on your back and a round of applause. With my DD, I have always tried to encourage what interests her. Mine loves books too and I have been reading to her since the day she was born. You have not spoiled her. You did good.

3 people like this.
  3. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

I would think many people around you are jealous.Please don't second-guess your parenting. Your daughter will do fine in school.

Having said that I have observed many parents in US race to teach their 6year olds fractions and decimals (they start off their kids in kumon and the like at 3years) while the poor child is doing simple additions at school, bored to death. This is exactly the reason why I did not teach my child anything to do with school.

Your daughter seems to be very bright. She is going to get bored if you dont teach her anything.You can probably teach her stuff that you know will not be taught at school. For eg carnatic music or vernacular rhymes (if she will not be learning that language at school) or sanskrit slokas. YOu are keeping her brain busy yet making sure she has enough new things to learn at school. Taking her to gym, music, art, dance classes is another option.

3 people like this.
  4. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

Thank you Rakhi. I am glad to hear your kind words.

5. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

Thank you butterflyice for your encouraging words. I was worried about her joining nursery and then getting bored of learning the same things. I kept buying more story books. Your suggestions are nice, will implement your ideas.

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

You are doing great and she seems to be getting the right sort of stimulation. A happy and healthy child is indeed well taken care of.

I've been reading to mine since she was born too and she loves books and stories.

My DD started preschool shortly after 2 since she had been begging to go. She learnt nothing academic the first year; she learnt to share and play board games - taking turns and playing fair especially. Now she is in a school nursery learning through play - though I've stopped the little bit of academic stuff I was teaching her because of similar concerns that popped up in my own head, she shows an inclination towards it and devices her own means of getting her gratification.

As long as your child is enjoying your sessions and actively seeks it, just keep doing what you are doing.

There are a lot of non academic things kids could get stimulated by - I'm sure you are doing many of these. Just to share what I replaced my pursuits with -

Cutting, pasting (scissors and glue), sticking, drawing, colouring, finger painting, craft.

Perhaps you are already doing this - Get her to use numbers instead of just reciting them. Get a stack of plates and say "Could you get plates for all of us please?" And guide her to get the right number. You could ask her to get one extra for her teddy; teaching her to add. Do this with numbers < 10 over and over again.

Sanskrit slokas are an excellent idea. I started translating slokas for my DD line by line and it really stimulates my little one.

Play various types of music - from Carnatic to pop to western classical to opera. (I highly suggest playing it in the background while doing art/ craft instead of on a screen for the child to watch) It greatly amused me when mine once shocked guests during a boisterous get together declaring, "this is all too loud and noisy, mum. Could we stop this and play something soft like schubert perhaps" I never realised that she was following the names of the composers I was telling her when music playing in the background.

Physical activities like swimming / sport / cycling / scooting / ball games etc.

6 people like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hope2b

you are doing a great job. however, this is a small suggestion. i am not sure where and which curriculam you are going to opt later. the teaching methods at school and what we use at home could clash and make it confusing for her later..

So i would say learn to work parallel where you enhance your child's logical, and thinking skills without intervening with her school lessons.
    what i would say is use her retention, her analytical power and play building blocks matching, logical thinking. see if you can interest her in playing chess(fun chess) if possible. or say using the globe to locate countries, flags, and things. connecting dots puzzles and more.

you can pick up on her interest and develop on it.

and no you are not doing anything wrong, you need to look at ways to not dim that special spark she is showing.

5 people like this.
  8. Karthema

Karthema Junior IL'ite

Hi hope2b,
    You are doing a great job...
    Even i am trying to do for my 17 month toddler, but she doesnt listen to me...
    Im going in her pace...
    Can you share some more innovative ideas & tips you followed??
    It will be very helpful for all moms...

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

These are worries almost every parent goes through. Will my child be bored in school? Should I divert her attention to other things so she is at par with other kids in school.

I'll suggest a long term approach. We should always try to find a school that fits our child's needs and abilities. Not tune our child to what the school offers.

In every class, starting from nursery, there are children at varying levels of emotional maturity, academic ability, motor skills, ability to work in group, follow instructions, physical activity. Teachers are trained to engage and challenge all the children in the class. If a child is ahead in all aspects, which is actually very rare, the teacher and school will themselves suggest moving her up to a higher class.

Do try to engage her with the things Shanvy suggested. You may also want to enroll her in a playschool for few hours a week, like 3-5 hours, if that is a possibility. Just a nice to have.

Above all, never second guess your parenting.

2 people like this.
  10. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

Thank you guess who. Delighted to get a response from you.

Currently, my dd knows all her stories, tells us back based on the pictures, like what the cat said, what the fish said. I never knew how phonics worked. So learnt that from few rhymes myself and my dd can tell A to z sound and a corresponding word. She is always scribbling with crayons or pens. I tried making my own finger paint, but that was a disaster. I am useless in all art. I will buy and see if she likes it. Did buy her play dough. She can count her fingers now, I mean up to five very well.

I will definitely take up ideas on slokas and music. Where I live, there's no so much outdoor stuff as swimming etc. But will look into it. Thanks again.