1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Toddler is Not Interacting

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Kanmanidhev, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Kanmanidhev

Kanmanidhev New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    My son is 2.5 yrs old and he is not much interacting to me or anyone. But he says A to Z,1 to 10, animal sounds and he reads his books,he knows all shapes and tells the star, triangle,heart, square. He identities 3 colors. Wherever he sees color blue he will tell blue. He solves all puzzles like wooden puzzles A to Z, shapes, if you sort also he will solve. But the problem is he is not interacting or talking to me. He is not answering or repeating any words. He is not even calling me Amma. Sometimes he will say sometimes not. I am sure he is having more than 50 words in his vocabulary. He didn't form sentences.

We were in New Hampshire and we have taken him to early intervention.they have tested everything and said he has speech delay and all other skills like gross motor, cognitive development he is on par with 36 months old and having words if only 18 months old .They had selected him for speech therapy and it was free.they came to our house for speech therapy. But only 2 classes we can able to make it. He played with them very well. They said he is very smart and he is improving.
    I am expecting second ones due is in March so me and my son came to India to my moms place. I thought if we go to India I will not be alone and will have help from my parents and planned to join him in a preschool.

Now I have put him to preschool. It's like a pre kg and class room atmosphere will have a single room with blackboard and chairs. They will teach abs, 123, a,aa,e in Tamil, shapes and sing some rhymes. I'm in village so we didn't have play school here. So I put him there.
    Sorry for writing story as I thought to write my situation to understand better.

The problem is how to make my son to interact/communicate.
    Everyone are scolding me, i didn't know a raise a child even my mom blaming me. Yesterday I spoke to his teacher she also told like it was your mistake, you didn't help him to speak she said. Where I went wrong . I have spent most of the time with my son in US. I use to play, read books, I will take him to park, I have arranged play dates weekly in summer. I did everything 4 him. Now people r blaming me it hurts me a lot. I'm not even thinking of my second one. Even his kicks. Friends please help me. What should I do now.

1 person likes this.

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

I am sorry I don't know any info about this, but when in USA they tested and said speech delay, and selected for speech therapy, ur son should be participating those therapy classes. I think u should not miss it.

Can u try something similar in India?

3. Kanmanidhev

Kanmanidhev New IL'ite

4. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Why can't you take him out? Children love to be outside during winters.

2.5 year is still very young. Children are different and start to speak with different speed. My oldest daughter started to talk when she was one year old and since that she has been talking non-stop. My younger daughter was more shy, introvert, spoke only if she had something important to say. We also had a bilingual family so the speech was delayed as that is common when children is exposed to several languages.

It is not about teaching. It is enough to have normal interaction with parents and other close adults. I would not be worried at this stage.

2 people like this.
  5. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

You know what I think since you were alone in us he didn't speak much . after coming to india and seeing many people here is there any improvement on his side . its not your fault so please don't be hard on your self

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

More often than not, the easiest target is the mother to blame for everything that doesn’t happen “right” with the child. Now, what that “right” is something only the mother can answer.

If he had been identifies for speech delay, then perhaps its better to get him back on the therapy asap. When do you plan to return US? After delivery? Children with speech delays need some special attention to get them to understand and verbally respond. Regular preschools may or maynot work. In your case, I can almost guarantee that it will not work, what with a teacher who blames the mother for speech delay! What kind of a teacher is she?!

Until you get back to US, here are some armature tips I have for you, I used these when I was encouraging my daughter to start using her words.

1. Start one of his favorite rhyme. Say, Old McDonald had a …. Do not say Farm. Wait for him to say it. Leave the last word out. In the beginning, he is not going to pen his mouth. So on, keep leaving the last words out. He will soon understand that you are not going to finish the line and out of frustration, he will start saying it. When he does, make a big deal out of it. Get him to blow a candle/ get everyone to clap…etc
    2. Regarding colors, first see if he is differentiating all the colors or not. I had a tough time with colors too. If he is able to differentiate the colors, don’t worry too much about actually identifying the name of the color. There are several ways to do it. You can start with 2 colors (like green and Orange) of building blocks. Ask him to separate it. Then add one more color. If that doesn’t work, ask him to separate tomatoes, potatoes, beans, carrots etc. make it more interesting using everyday objects.

8 people like this.
  7. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

For a 2.5 year old - in US - with only you to interact most of his waking hours - this is great !!! Was he going to play school in the US too?

In India with a lot of grandparents, parents, uncles/aunts, cousins - many kids start talking words and sentences only at 2 !!

Does he understand instructions right now? Does he recognize shapes, colors, fruits, vegetables, vehicles etc. Does he sing and sway to the rhymes you say !

Dont be stressed about him, let him enjoy what he does, keep him occupied in safe but interesting (to him) activities !

The play school teachers will take all the credit when he starts talking sentences in a few months of Indian life - but in reality - it is the people around him and the conversations and interactions that will make him start speaking!

3 people like this.
  8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@hrastro, with due respect, kids in US are on par with Indian kids, whether or not they have extended families staying along with them. I think, to say that because he was in US, he has a speech delay, that may not have been the case. Also, OP never said the kid only had her for company 24/7.

I think the point I am trying to make is, whether or not kids speaks depends on their needs, their speed to grasp things and the way we teach them. I have come across a lot of people who generalize that being away from India is the root cause of the speech delays. Thats what I am trying to address.

3 people like this.
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@kanmanidhev - Don't worry. It isn't your fault. It's very easy to blame the mom for anything that small kids do. Speech therapy is a difficult thing to do and you aren't qualified so how can you get him to do what he cannot do? He must be having difficulty with certain sounds and syllables. Only qualified speech therapists can sort through all that. Once he gets all the basic sounds right, he'll start talking like every other child.
    Dont stress out unnecessarily. Try breaking up his name. For example the world apple - break it down to its sounds - "/a/" + "/pa/" + "/el/". Fish = "/f/" + "I" + "/sh". Rat = "/r/"+ "/a/" + "/t/". The "/l" at the end of apple, "/f/" for fish "/r/" for rat are all difficult sounds. He may say pish, wat etc. he may not get the "/sh" at the end of fish. Just break down words, figure out the sounds he isn't getting and work on that. I'm fairly sure he will start using his words as soon as he gets all his sounds right and gains confidence. Also do you speak tamil at home? If so, do this in tamil for now. You can work on the language he hears all the time and then worry about other languages. Btw, I'm not sure where you are but I've seen speech therapists coming home to work with kids in India. Try to see if you find someone like that, especially in tamil. He'll pick up sounds quickly from a qualified therapist simply because the therapist is experienced in handling different issues and can find where the gap is quickly and work in those areas.

2 people like this.
  10. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

Dear Keep on talking to your son continuosly. Whatever you or he do speak it out like a running commentary and ask other family members to do the same. I guess he isnt much stimlated to speak. My son had regression in speech after he suffered H1N1. At 21month i put him in playschool and took for behavior therapy which helped him a lot. At this time concentrate on your health. He is very active this is one of the reason for speech delay. Some kids who cant sit at a plce or concentrate on one thing have this problem. Now you are in village so you wont be able to find therapist. After your delivery try to get soem therapy either in India or US. Now dont lose your heart keep on speaking. Try to make him concentrate at one place which will help him a lot. Try to search behavior therapy in youtube for toddlers. You will find many suitable links for you son.