1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need suggestions to stop pacifier...

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by seetharamkumar, Feb 1, 2015.

1. seetharamkumar

seetharamkumar New IL'ite

My daughter is 20 months old.. she needs pacifier during sleeping time and while travelling in car..can anyone give me some suggestions how to stop this habit??

Thanks

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Seetha, I have never introduced my child to a pacifier and I dont have personal experience with it. However, most of my North American friends have adopted one of the below. See which one might be best suitable for you.

Slow Wean: She has been with the pacifier for a while now. So, understand that she has developed some bonding with it and it maybe very hard for to get out of that comfort zone. It is just like weaning her off the breast/ bottle. Try to see the times when she may be easily distracted and take that away from her at that time. Like, in a car, when you or DH are driving, one of you sit with her and distract her showing books/ toys/ outside etc and see if it works.

Start with offering someone finger food when she asks for it. Or take that away at nap times first slowly and then proceed to night times. Eventually, it will come to a point where she will no longer asks for it. Expect a lot of tears.

Cold Turkey: One day, just take that away from her sight. Prepare her that you will give her something else for comfort. Get her to pick a soft toy or a blanket etc. She can use that object to comfort herself. At 20 months, she is in a position to understand what you are saying; so you shuld be fine (hopefully).

Good luck.

1 person likes this.