1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Notoriously bitter antibiotic

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Joyoflife, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

My question is how do you give antibiotics to your children. My DD who is almost 3 had a mosquito bite, she itched it again and again Now her foot has swollen badly it's all red and turned almost double in size. Doc prescribed antibiotics and it's really needed. It has to be given before food so can not be mixed with juice or anything. I tasted some myself and felt like throwing up. I do not know how to give it to her? Please share your experiences and any home remedies if you have. We did put a bandage around her ankle so that she doesn't itch, but even in her sleep she is rubbing it again and again. It's gone really bad and this bitter antibiotic has made it worst.

2. FallenAngel33

FallenAngel33 Silver IL'ite

Antibiotics really damages human body in several ways (of course body will heal the damage). Say in a case of viral fever or throat infection, doctors prescribe antibiotics, these antibiotics inhibits/kills virus, but it also damages immune system & other tissues. Chemical does not know which is virus or bacteria or human cells..antibiotics just destroys everything. So body has to fight virus as well as repair the damage. When we get viral fever or throat infection, we feel tired , loss of energy, feel like sleeping...these things are not because of virus/infection , its because of antibiotics . Pharmaceutical companies wont tell this.

Try Ayurvedic medicines. I always heal much faster and never feel tired with ayurvedic medicines. Try it for ur DD, consult a ayurvedic doctor.

1 person likes this.
  3. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Hi FA Thanks for your reply. Even I am against antibiotics. That's why if she ever has to be put on antibiotics I make her eat a lot of yoghurt and Yakult. But as doctor suggested it was really necessary in this case. We do not have any Ayurvedic doctore where we live. DD did take two dosses with huge difficulty. I do not think she will fall for it tomorrow. Her foot seems a little better. Hopefully she will be fine soon.

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@JoyofLife It is definitely diificult to give a bitter medicine. My daughter loves medicines so she is ok with weird tastes. But DS (only 11 months old) is a different story. For regular vitamins itself he cries. Dd used to love them!

Did you try asking the doctor for topical antibiotic cream? If only oral antibiotics are the way to go then it is ok to force. After all it is for her good ultimately.

5. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

Mostly the kids meds are coming with lot of good flavor except very few... some the taste and smell is so bad but a very good good antibiotic... try offering her candy or gum orjuice or something she like after she take the medicine.... candy will do better... as kids are prone to that... just a little bit to make her take the med... hope she feel better soon...