1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is DD autistic ?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by anika987, Aug 23, 2014.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,

One of my gals was speaking few words around 14 months ,waving bye etc but after my mom left to India (dd was too close to her) she went into a shell.Mistake is also mine.I was concentrating on my other dd since I thought this one was easy.
    She stopped smiling,talking etc.Now after giving her a lot of love,dd is very happy but says nothing.recently out of excitement she said "amma" and babbles little bit..

Is she autistic??she is 20 months.

1) she is very active.
    2) she cannot stand to see me leave the room and cries if she sees me going anywhere
    3) she makes eye contact many times but some other times she does not care
    4) she hears very well.if I put music ,even if she is upstairs she comes running down to hear.
    5)she laughs at her fav shows
    6) she gets bored easily of games and distracted.
    7) she loves going out and playing with other kids
    8) smiles a lot
    9) she does not point out and communicate but if she wants anything,instead of talking or pointing out she drags us to that place to help her out
    10) she likes appreciation
    11) she can play totally alone by herself or she can even play with others.if she is in her own mood,she plays by herself
    12) she is not talking much words and sometimes responds to her name many times she does not.but if I say say "we are going out" or we r going to have food" she runs coming for that.pediatrician says she chooses to ignore us.

My other twin is super duper smart.comparing ( I know I should not) with her,this one seems less smart.

I don't know...
    these days people saying so many things about autism,am too confused.plz plz help..

2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

First question:
    have you talked abt this to pediatrician? Always a qualified doctor can give better suggestion by examining the child and will refer if needed.

5 people like this.
  3. persecutedDIL

persecutedDIL Gold IL'ite

I am no expert on autism but going by the 12 points you have listed, I don't think she is autistic. I hope you are giving equal time and attention to both kids so that neither feels neglected or jealous of the other. Would be tricky, but you need to balance it.

1 person likes this.
  4. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Hi Kalpana ,

I have not much idea about autism but what you have mentioned is similar to one of my neighbors DD. She was like this few months (after moving to USA from join family in India), Even she was not calling her mom and dad. But now (she 28 months) and improved a lot. For her reason was, she was all alone, no kids to interact (only parents). Now she play with my DD (turning 4 year now) and learnt a lot. She has started speaking English even she copy her for every single thing. The girl who was not speaking single world before 6 months , now talk non stop (with small sentences). For us , since we interact every day, we can understand her without any issue but may be difficult for others.

Try to get some company for her as kids learn from kids.

2 people like this.
  5. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

Hi Kalpana,

My son is almost your daughter's age, he is 23 months now. Even he is delayed when it comes to speech, he says close to 15 words. His doc and others(my family and friends) feel, some kids take longer time to speak. From whatever you have listed I strongly feel you little princess is fine.

Like you pointed out there is too much of talk about Autism, please do not surf too much about it, it can panic you. I am not saying neglect it, but too much of it can cause sleepless nights.

2 people like this.
  6. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

Hi Kalpana

I have read your other post that you are travelling to India very soon, please wait and watch this will bring in a lots of changes in your DD. She will surprise you with her speech and actions. I have noticed India trips do miracles to these little ones :) :)

2 people like this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

true kalpana..one of my main reasons for India trip is my dd speech concern.

I do have sleepless nights these days:( moreover, she has short attention span and
    is not very interested to learn anything.plus, when I see kids way younger than her saying hi, bye etc it hurts my feelings as DD does nothing.she used to do that but not anymore.she does other stuff but stopped doing some of the stuff she used to.

I am too worried but as u have all given me good hopes I feel so much better.thank u sweet ladies:)

As u said lavanya,I should stop surfing about autism.too confused!!