1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on giving mild sedative tonic to kids during international travel

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by happywoman, May 3, 2008.

1. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

hello friends,

I shall be travelling to USA in a couple of month with my kids. Since my daughter (2.2yrs) is hyperactive im worried abt how i would be managing her in the flight. One of a friend suggested to give a mild tonic which would put her to sleep but im not very much for it but might consider if i get some feedaback from others who did this before.
    Is it okay to give a mild dose which will relax her and also me.Else she would make my journey a nightmare experience.

Friends please help me in this regard.

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi HW,
    I was advised so by few.But im against it.I would not encourage it for the fear of any adverse reactions during the course of flight.

3. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

My bhabhi used to give children's benadryl to her hyperactive 3 year old before boarding the plane to India. The kid is now 5 and has had no issues. Other things to try

1. For the flight, have your child dressed in clothes she is used to sleeping in at home.
    2. Carry some favorite toys and/or books. Kids like to have familiar things in an unfamiliar environment to soothe them to sleep.
    3. Keep your child moderately active during the day before going on the plane so that he/she will be a bit tired and go to sleep on the plane.

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Happywoman,

My son too is hyperactive (or rather very curious and will not sit in one place) and when i flew to India with him, alone, when he was 2, I asked the doctor for some calming medicine. She advised me against it but instead recommended the tips given by Pmahensa. It worked very well! He slept whenever the lights were switched off and had his favourite biscuits to munch, his fav book to read when he was awake. Also i used to make him walk regularly inside the flight so he doesn't feel tied to one place for 10 hrs.

But you, as the mother, must trust your instinct and do the needful. After all not each child is similar:)

Latha

5. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

hello friends,

Thanks for the tips. How much ever im trying to convince myself tht its going to be okay i still feel tense thinking abt travelling with 2 kids as this will be my first one with both of them. Ofcourse my husband will be there to manage but im getting worried that i have to cater to both my kids at the same time.
    Anyways, im praying to GOd for a safe flight.
    Does anyone know whether bassinet (or something similar) will be available for kids above 2yrs. My daughter is 2.3 yrs old. I know a bassinet is given for kids under 1 yr.Does anyone have any idea abt this or we have make them sleep on our lap.
    Friends, pls help me out.

6. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I think there is a weight/height requirement for the bassinets.I'm not sure whether they will provide bassinets for 2 year old.Personally I feel its dangerous to use a bassinet for a 2 year old.I think since you have 2 kids they maybe giving company to each other.I hope you have a safe travel
    Thanks
    Mangai

7. coolmommy

coolmommy New IL'ite

Hi

My doctor suggested me to give benadryl to my 1 year old on the flight to India and I did that. It did help but not a lot. I mean he slept for half the journey and the other half we had to manage him.
    For some kids benadryl can make them hyper so its better to first try it at home before the trip and then decide whether you should give it to them during the journey or not.

Hope this helps

CoolMommy