1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

share ur experience on speech delays

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by anu1215, Jun 6, 2014.

1. anu1215

anu1215 Platinum IL'ite

Hello Friends
    i am in a situation where my kids are not talking.. i follow many threads on speech delays in our forum, members who have posted earlier threads on speech delay.. can u please share ur experience how ur kid has overcome that stage. am not having gud sleep these days.. last week i met a 2yr old.. she's speaking in telugu and english fluently, i was impressed, and heart broke seeing my kid is not forming sentences.. he just says sit down, choclate milk, will go, lets go. everyone consoles me he is a boy that is the delay.. yesterday i went to public school and took a preschool evaluation to take a test for both boys.. (3yr 2months).

Thanks
    anu

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anu,
    How old are you boys? 3yrs and 2 months or 2yrs and 2 months? If they are just two, then they probably are just speech delayed. Go for the EI and school district evaluation and see where they peg them. If they are at a level lower than 6 months of their age, then it's better to get them some speech therapy. Below 3, EI does a very good job of providing free speech therapy at home. The pre school program in my district does not have one on one program's and group speech therapy is not as effective IMO. I did wait a long time too because everyone told me he is a boy and a micro preemie. He did everything else etc etc. In hind sight, I should have gotten him evaluated much sooner.

3. anu1215

anu1215 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Laks
    Thanks for ur quick reply, my boys are 3yrs 2months..

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Anu, how did the evaluation go? Did they tell you anything yet?

5. Laks09

Anu,
    How many words do they have in their vocab currently? 10,20,50,100? Are the words clear? Did their ped recommend hearing tests? Any history of recurrent ear infections? Any speech regression? Did they say a word and then stop saying? 3.2 I would be concerned too. But don't worry, there are umpteen reasons why kids have speech delays. Hearing is the most common. I would suggest you get their hearing checked by a very good ped Ent. I don't trust the machine at ped office. My son kept passing his hearing tests there but he actually had a significant hearing loss which I took months and a visit to a ped Ent to figure out.

6. anu1215

anu1215 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rakhii
    evaluation is scheduled for next week june 12th and june 19th

7. anu1215

anu1215 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Laks
    i went to two pediatricians in 6months, they have check their ears, they looked gud.. both doctors suggested to go for therapy, so i took evaluation appointment for next week, keeping fingers crossed.

my younger son started at age 1.. he said ma amma,(my mother) and he was in india for 1yr.. at age of18months he used to talk to me on phone, answer my simple questions.. what did u eat " he replies chicken and rice" when did u woke up " he replies long back". after coming back to me also he was good, from last 6months he stopped talking and these days he doesnt want to repeat words.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2014
  8. Laks09

Anu,
    when toddlers don't talk at all and start speech late, it's not too concerning. It's just a speech delay. When toddlers who talk suddenly stop, it's a big red flag. I wish someone had told me that last year at this time when I was struggling.
    School district eval is good but they are not allowed to give you a definite diagnosis of the root cause of speech regression. They will just check if he qualifies for services and I'm sure he will since he is more than six months below his age group in terms of speech. They will offer you services and ask you to go to doctor to figure out why he is regressing. I would suggest you go to a very good developmental pediatrician and get your son evaluated. I don't think you should even wait to complete the school district eval, do it in parallel. If the Dev ped rules out any major concern then you can work with school dist and private speech therapy and work on his speech.

9. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

OP lots of this developmental stuff is genetic too. The community I belong to the kids start speaking much earlier.Both my kids started speaking at 6 months and by 3 years they were fluent in 4 languages now where we belong to this is quite common but here my kids easily got admission in best schools because of this. Now we live far away from our native regions and when my kids were young all my friends would be in a panic like you. The best person to guide you would be some of your relatives.
    How old are your kids? Pls don't compare everyone grows at their own pace , when all of them are 18 all will be eating by themselves, talking, running. Keep calm eventually everything will work out.

10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

OP, what I gather from your post was that your toddler was talking good as per his age when he was in India, but not talking at all after coming back to the US. Right?

My sister's DD was staying with us since her 8th month. Those days my sister was struggling to get a transfer to her husband's city, so both mom and DD were with us. She was too fond of me and my son then. She talked reasonably till 1.5 yrs (till they were with me). Its been 4 month since they left to the other city. She is now living with her parents. Both parents are working, so they leave the kid with their paternal grand-ma for now.

Sadly the kid has completely stopped talking. Not only talking, but also her other activities. She was too dull, and cranky these days.

Very recently one of our family doc - a pead casually mentioned whether she is missing her loving aunt and her son (me and my son). But we didnt take it seriously.

Last month my sister came back to our place on a week long holiday with her family. Surprisingly, this little one resumed her talking almost after 3-4 months. She became active and extremely happy. She said that she can't go back, so she is with us now.

Kids are special on their own way. No one knows what is going on in their little heart.

It seems your son was living in India with his grand parents, but he might miss them here. It may also a reason for his sudden drop in speech. Just sharing my experience.

3 people like this.