1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When your toddler started having milk in normal cup

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Manpreet, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Manpreet

Manpreet New IL'ite

Dear ladies,

i am a mother of 2.5 years cute little daughter. She has been drinking her milk in sippy cup since a year now. I was just wondering when will she shift to a normal cup for milk! She can have juice/water in normal cup but for milk she takes only sippy.

So just want to know your experience in this - when your toddler shifted to big cup and how? did u force or the switch was by themselves?

Thanks for all your advice!!

Manpreet

2. daffodil

daffodil Bronze IL'ite

Hi Manpreet,

I have a 3 yr old toddler as well. She started using cups for juices & water around 11/2 year.
    Actually she has juices & water on the own, But for milk I have to forcibly feed her.. with the cup in my hands.bonk
    You could begin with getting nice plastic colourful cups for her.. Allow her to choose a cup while at the store. You could also try colourful (juice) straws if she wants to start on straw & then on cups. Try Babyshop for this..
    At the table you, your hubby & you lil one all should join her to have milk for some time..while seated together
    So she knows she has company & she will try to have on her own by seeing you & your hubby. Kids nowadays try to be independent fast.. moreover at this age they try to ape what ever the parents do
    P.S. This advice was actually given by Dr. Kaur to me.

3. Manpreet

Manpreet New IL'ite

Hi Daffodil,

so nice to see your reply :)

I also asked dr.kaur about it, she said since she taking in sippy cup and not in bottle, its ok to let her continue for some more time...!! And i heard that sippy's are not that bad ?

But still i am wondering if i leave her on sippy then when will she switch to the normal cup :-?

thanks as always :)

Manpreet

4. daffodil

daffodil Bronze IL'ite

Manpreet,

Do check laxmi_subhash's thread on call for Abu Dhabi IL's get together..

5. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

dera manpreet

i think its time u shifted her to a normal cup...like u can start off with the evening dose of milk in a normal cup and then slowly cut down the sippy n chg her to the normal one..also children find it very exciting when they do sumthing on their own and tht what the elders do....i have found this route very effective with my daughter!!!

lov
    sowmi

6. Manpreet

Manpreet New IL'ite

Hi Sowmi,

thanks for your reply.
    Actually i tried but she wont drink in normal cup.. and in sippy she will finish the whole thing.. so i am like, if sippy is not doing any harm then why not - she is drinking her milk without any hassle in that..
    but then i am not sure if sippy is not doing any harm and i want to get rid of it may be in another 6 months or so atleast!!
    so pls suggest..

7. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

hi Manpreet,
    Honestly, you are very lucky that your girl is drinking on her own from the sippy. Mine wont! I have to force the cup into her mouth while she keep playing and keep distracting her. I have tried so many things, she is so stubborn. I have given up on the sippy too for mine!!
    Really sorry I cant help you. Instead of helping you, I poured out my experience :-( Forgive me dear..

8. jelaja

jelaja New IL'ite

Hi,

My little one is 20 months old, he never used bottles and sippers. We introduced cup to him when he was 10 months old, now he drinks milk, juice and water all in colourful cups. Try giving juices and milk in small quantity in colourful cups, you also drink from same cup and give her to drink as you take a sip. Show her posters and ads in magazines where children drink in cups and tell she should also drink from cups. Hope this helps.

Jelaja

9. Manpreet

Manpreet New IL'ite

Thanks to all you lovely mothers for your replys on my query.

However I need more help, i need to know from mothers who used sippy cups for their kids to give milk. When did those kids leave sippy? and how?

I am not sure on how long giving a sippy is no problem - so need to know about that...

10. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi manpreet,
    My kid was on sippy cup till 2 1/2..Then i started to give him milk in tumbler(regular eversilver)for some time and then within 2 months he started to drink on his own form the tumbler..I used to half-fill the tumbler and then pour gradually when he finishes..
    Its better u train her with the regular cups/tumblers now onwards..