1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to get my 2.5 year old daughter to play with toys.?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Joyoflife, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Hi lovely ladies

My daughter is always hoovering after me which is so annoying for me at the times. She never seems interested in playing with her toys. I have even taken her to the stores and bought her toys of her own choice but seems to keep her occupied. Play is really useful for kids but mine is always clinging to me. It's so hard for me to get things done. She loves to watch television but I do not want her to be glued to TV all d time. I am at my wits end. Please give some suggestions regarding this

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Turn off tv. That's the first thing. Then everyday allocate an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening where you play with her toys. When kids see someone playing with their toys they are supposed to get inspired to play similarly - this is the reason kids hanker after a toy another kid is playing with! So, that way, you ease her into her toys.

Then when you have your job to do, give her little tasks if she wants to be around. From the time my dd was under 2, she would want to "help". I give her a dustpan and brush to clean the Kitchen floor with. She sits on the counter and whisks eggs. Removing mint/ methi leaves from the stalk is her job. She plays with atta and rolls out funny shaped rotis for me to cook. She sorts washed cutlery and puts them in place. I get her to fold wash cloths, bring clothes from the washing machine and put little clothes out to dry. She clears the floor when I have to Hoover. I don't insist she do these things but since she is interested, I give her little tasks to do which she is very happy to do... Perhaps this helps..

6 people like this.
  3. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot guesshoo for your valuable and practical tips. I jus sat down with DD to play in her toy room and she is taking interest in play now. Hope it improves further. Thanks

1 person likes this.
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

OP, a lot depends on how things were done from childhood, though its not too late. Firstly, go through the toy bin and see if she has out grown any of the toys she has. Its amazing how soon they grow up. what was age appropriate 4 months ago maybe less stimulating now. For them to keep occupied, they need to be challenged and stimulated enough in the toy. On this day, my DD is 2 years and 4 months old. Some of the things which she loves at this moment are her building blocks, books which make sounds when she opens pages, shape sorter (the complicated board ones), stainless steel utensils from my kitchen, bouncing ball, crayola board, bouncing horse which sings rhymes when she bounces on it and of course a broom stick amongst the others.

Things like stuffed toys, picnic baskets etc have been outgrown and been put away in the basement.

What I noticed is that, more than wanting to cling to us, they want to be in our presence. When you are working in the kitchen, see if she wants to hang out with you in the kitchen with her toys. usually mine is content if I let her stay close to me and play.

Also, on the days when you are very tired, just let her watch TV as long as its not oo long.

5. peet1983

peet1983 Silver IL'ite

Why do you her wanna play with toys.. She is learning the life through you that never any toys can teach her. My DD never loved any toys except when she see it in others hand. But she knows each and everything my wife does now and used to intimate and behave like her. I felt that this helped her to become more matured than her age.
    Don't keep her away friend.. Keep it with you when ever we can..you can feel the difference.