1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Bruise that just doesnt go away!!

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Rakhii, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

As is the usual case with any toddler, mine also jumps up and down, runs more and walks less and in general a very happy and content child. 10 days ago she fell. She keeps falling on and off with (usually) no crying and is up and running around in less than a minute.
    She got a bruise from that particular fall and it changed from blue to black. This was 10 days ago. That bruise isnt going away at all. As a matter of fact, it looks like its growing. And yes, its a little sensitive as she wouldnt let me touch her leg this morning (last few days were fine).

The very brilliant me googled and I am now freaked out as some articles suggest severe tissue damages, blood disorders and worst cancer in the event the bruises dont heal in 3 days. While, I am slow to rush to assume the worst, she hasnt been feeling well the last one week either. Fever and hacking cough. I am putting two and two together and I am really worried. I booked an appointment with the doctor right away (for this afternoon) after my google search.

What could be the reason for the bruise not to heal? Any insight would be great...

a worried and freaked-out mom.

2. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    its good that you are going to the doctor as nothing anyone say will make you feel better and the official word is the best...........that said ,I usually freak out whenever I google about my kids symptoms for even something like runny nose.....since then I go by instinct...if I am worried its better to visit doctor then google...

1 person likes this.
  3. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Rakhii.. Hugs dear. Poor baby M. When S was M age she fell down at a party and got a big bruise in her cheek. It freaked me out. We rushed to the doc and he checked for bone damage and all was good. The bruise became dark black the next day and that spot was hard. I panicked and called doc he checked and assured it was just blood clot and will take time to heal. Believe it took months to completely go away. We thought that spot will never go but luckily all good now. Check with the doc I am sure it will be good soon.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Pragati, Chitra. My luck really sucks (sorry for the word). My doctors office called me back saying that they had to cancel all appointments today; long story why they had to do it. Re-booked it for tomorrow evening.

Chitra, M is a little sensitive; sometimes when i touch it, she seems fine and other times she is sensitive. Maybe the tylenol i had been giving for fever had been masking her pain. Her dad is out of station too and its just me and her. His work travels are driving me crazy. Almost like being a singe mom! sorry, a vent.

5. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Rakhii.. Sorry. Take the cancellation on positive angle. Things happen for a reason. Don't worry. I have a strong feel that fever and cough are isolated ones and not related to leg injury. M is going to be good soon. I can't imagine how you manage all alone. Do take care. I am sure M will be happy hopping soon. Try giving some hot or cold pack on the affected area if fever is not too high.

1 person likes this.
  6. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

hi, my son always fell down and hit on the same spot again and again. after he start walking so he got two horns on his forehead each one on each side.... its came like big bump as he keep hitting either one side or the other side everytime he fell down.... and it became black it took a while for that color to go as he keep hitting at same place... as of now it look much better and his horns are gone... but guess what... again he fell down last night but this time he burst his upper lip everytime the same spot I feel so bad for him... and as our floor is tile I tell him hundred time to look out and walk and DONT RUN WALK...but never listen so again bruise... I use to get so panic but now getting used to it..... Hope little one is doing fine... it usual that they turn to black... not to worry... keep updating.

Yes sometimes its too much stress to handle everything alone.....

2 people like this.
  7. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

kids now a days don't knowhow to walk..........:exactly: only RUNNING.......

2 people like this.
  8. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Rakhii,

I hope this evening,all your worries are set to rest. Like Breeze01's experience,my daughter used to keep hurting herself on the forehead,just above the eye..so many times,I lost the count. Once we had to get a CT scan done.I still worry about her ,when she has any eye problem or headache.Thats the way,we are..worry should be a mom's middle name! My husband travels all the time too,I get you!

Coming to your DD's injury,sometimes blood clotting or tissue damage causes discolouration,which takes a while to disappear. Lets be positive,think positive.I'm sure the doc will say that everything is fine.May Baba be with you and the little one always!

Keep us updated...

1 person likes this.
  9. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Rakhii Hugs to you. I have not gone through this. So not able to be of much help. But I am sure it is nothing in your DD's case.

1 person likes this.
  10. zales

zales Silver IL'ite

Rakhii, i sometimes wonder how people lived before internet. That said, the worst thing you can do if you have any symptoms is to google them. Im guilty of it, i know most of us are. I bruise like a peach and my bruises take almost 10-15 days to go away, but not without darkening first. (it hurts too) I'm guessing thats probably what it is? I think fever and cough are not related to this... But if she is in a lot of pain/you think it needs urgent attention, ER is the way to go!! about your husband's travel, hugs to u!!