1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

LKG books

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sangeeG, Mar 31, 2014.

1. sangeeG

sangeeG Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I have a 2 and half year old daughter.
    she knows alphabets (uppercase), shapes, colors,number still 20, fruits, veg, animals, rhymes (english and tamil).
    as we have so much time now, I would like to start teaching her with LKG books.(ofcourse I wont force her to learn as till now she grabbed things quickly and learnt in a fun way)
    So can anyone help me where I can get those books online.
    or if someone has them please share.

Thanks in advance
    Sangeetha

2. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

btwMaths - 1 to 100 writing
    English - Upper case and Low case alphabets
    Tamil - Ana Avana, Mei yezhuthukkal writing

It is better to get the old books from same school student and can slowly train your kid, this is what i am going to do for my kid (going to UKG)

btw which school your kid is studying.....

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Sangee,

Your lil one is smart, good. It might be better not to make her write for at least another six months. After that, start with strokes, progress on to small case letters, and only then upper case.

Encourage her to perform actions that will strengthen her fingers. Let her play with chapathi atta, moulding clay, sand. Turning the key on a lock, and opening it - this is good to make fingers strong. Also, putting heavy objects from one vessel to another.

Rather than start her on books of any stream/syllabus, a general preparation might be better.Using round/ cylindrical crayons to scribble and colour, doing pictures by joining dots etc will also be helpful.

Just a few random thoughts---

3 people like this.
  4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Instead of school books, pick up story books and read the stories to her with the correct intonation. Ask her to recap what's going on n the story. Ask her what she thinks the characters in the picture are feeling. Ask her when she feels the same way. Encourage her to talk about what the characters could have done differently.

This is is the time to stretch her imagination. BBC has great resources to help us get children imagine with everyday items. Introduce lots of role play, encourage her to make stories up.

Regarding the alphabet, teach her phonics instead of what the letters are called. It is better to start with sounds for lower case alphabet as it helps the child read much sooner and much better. Starfall.com had resources for this - you need to ensure first that you yourself learn the right sounds for these words.

About writing, first ensure that your child is holding the pencil / crayons correctly between the thumb, forefinger and middle finger. get foolscap sheets and get the child to draw lines across it, then curves, circles etc. Setting this basis with such free flow scribbling is more important than teaching the child to write. Also you don't want the child peering over to write as it strains the eyes.

Get lots of water colours and a set of brushes for the child and get her to experiment with painting. It is easier than writing and is lots of fun. You can read a story and ask her to paint things in relation to that. Initially it will be a huge mess but It will get you child thinking about colours and shapes. Get her to finger paint. Show her how toe colours mix to make a completely new colour.

You can also do this with transparent tumblers - have there tumblers with the basic colours mixed in water and get her to pour little bits of two colours into a new tumbler to get a new colour. Then have white water and black water and see if she finds how white makes the colours lighter and black makes it darker.

Also get glue and craft items; get her to cut with scissors (you can buy plastic ones) - that will help with fine motor skills too.

Check out montessori websites for fun learning ideas. IMO school will always be there to teach the traditional way fostering crystallised intelligence - reproducing what they learn. At this age, since their brains are mouldable, we can do activities which will enhance their fluid intelligence - which is applying what they know to arrive at a solution. The latter is much more important for overall development.

2 people like this.
  5. sangeeG

sangeeG Silver IL'ite

@Guesshoo thanks for all your suggestions, water colour, crafts are all wonderful ideas.

@Vidya, Thanks for your inputs.

Currently we are in US so thats why I want to teach somethings similar to our Indian school as I dont want her to struggle when we move back.

Ofcourse I am not planning to make her write for another year.

I am yet to join a library here so once joined I can engage her with books
    I just listed the things she knows because I wanted to ask what is the next step.
    she ofcourse plays with dough, she even peels of onions and garlic.
    she plays with water. she tears tissues.
    we do out for walk when the weather is fine.
    she scribbles with crayons

thanks all

6. Elisa01

Elisa01 Junior IL'ite

Hi, It's sounds good she knows everything, for a book you can consult your neighbors friends.

7. umamaheshwari03

umamaheshwari03 New IL'ite

Hi all,
    I am looking for buying some alphabets and numbers book for my 18 months old nephew. Could any one suggest me which brand of books are good so that the kids wont tear it soon. Do any one know online websites to send toys and books to India from US..

Thanks in advance ladies..:)
    maheshwari.

8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Sangee,

Try to download books from the NCERT website. That will help.

Cheers!

9. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Umamaheshwari You can buy board books. Tearing these kind requires more effort. We need to inculcate the reading habit to stop kids from tearing books. Also it is a phase which too shall pass. You can buy in amazon.com which will ship to US address.

10. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

NCERT has syllabus from standard I only in the website.