1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

16 months old baby not at all eating:(

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by vidhya2810, Mar 29, 2014.

1. vidhya2810

vidhya2810 Silver IL'ite

My 16 months old son is not at all eating any food items as himself I have to make the food semi solid and lay him down on my legs and then I've to feed him with spoon.
    Also won't drink milk at all.
    Please friends suggest me with your valuable comments

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Are you force feeding him? Does he have the chewing habit?

Try giving him bite sized pieces of food (fruits, vegetables, cheese etc.) that he likes. Do not start off with rice or anything that is super sticky. Initially it will be a huge mess. Slowly he will get the hang of it.

If he takes sipper you can try milk in his sipper. If not try giving it in an open cup. If nothing works try feeding milk with a spoon. If he does not accept milk at all try yogurt, smoothies, milk shakes, lassi, cheese, buttermilk etc.

1 person likes this.
  3. vidhya2810

vidhya2810 Silver IL'ite

He won't accept anything when I feed him directly . he bites n spit out n laughs.
    Well I'll try with your suggestions

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Vidhya, when you feed him by putting him on legs, does he usually vomit it out or does it stay in?
    When I introduced solids to my daughter, I tried o distract her while eating with toys/ rhymes/ outside and when nothing worked, I switched on TV. See if you can make him sit on a high chair and feed him. When he spits out and aughs, dont react. Keep a serious face and tell him that food goes in the tummy. They understand more tha we give them credit for. Does he choke when you feed him this way?

5. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

Vidhya, sometimes parents need to be hard hearted for the betterment of their kids.

I would advice the following:-

1. I'm sure you must have figured out by now of the foods or tastes that your son likes. (Which he takes into mouth and swallows without you needing to force feed) - try to feed him his fave food flavours.
    E.g if he likes banana, give him a small bite sized piece to eat or make banana milkshake.

2. Always place him on high chair and feed. Don't feed him in lying down position as he may choke!
    Initially it'll be hard. He may cry and shout and avoid taking food in high chair but let him be like that for few mins. Do it regularly and let him know that it's time to eat when he's placed in high chair.
    THIS STEP WILL TEST YOUR PATIENCE AND TIME.

3. When he spits out the food, be serious and tell him he HAS TO eat. Be firm.

Happy feeding!

6. tndocgirl

tndocgirl Bronze IL'ite

Vidya, first off am a mother of twin 2 year olds - one eats well and the other doesn't. While its frustrating as hell, its nothing to get worked up about. There are a few important indicators of poor eatoing -
    1. Is your son not gaining weight adequately? Most pediatricians follow the IAPs growth charts that are available free online. Check it to know or son's condition.
    2. Is he not doing things other 16 months old babies do? For example, does he imitate the words u say, speak at least 10 bisyllabic words, rum on planesurfaces , etc. If he does all these, he is developing just fine mentally.
    3. Does he communicate with you? Like, respond to being called and try talking to u.
    If he has no above said problems, just relax.
    There is a Lt of time to change his food habits. If he doesn't like milk, make sure he gets the requisite energy from other healthy food stuff. Try curd rich diet or milk containing food like porridge.
    There is nothing wrong in him taking only mushy food. Try changing the texture very gradually. Give him finger food and don't mind the waste. Give him baby rusk or biscuits.
    Try increasing the interval between feeds and make him expend energy by running around more.
    Add protein supplements to the milk and try changing the formula. He may like that more.
    Lastly I will tell u wat my mother told me " your son isn't likely to drink no milk or eat mushy food till his college days. So just chill and learn to enjoy his childishness till it lasts. "

7. LuvLadoo35

LuvLadoo35 Gold IL'ite

Hey Vidya,

My toddler went without food for almost 3 weeks at a stretch. All I did was gave me 2 milk bottles a day. I guess when they have there deadly molars coming out they don't want to chew anything. Here's what worked for me :
    1. Gerber Fruit puree/sauce because the sweet flavor might work with the little ones.
    2. Parle G Biscuit dipped in milk once in a while.
    3. Kix cereal you can get it in Walmart.
    4. Flavoured yogurt .
    5. I got a syringe from Petco to feed him water/milk. Me and H both had to continuously clap whenever we fed him through the syringe. This really motivated him and kept him away from getting dehydrated.This might sound silly but syringe was a savior in my case.
    Good luck and don't worry this is a phase it will pass by soon. For sometime don't offer him regular food (Dal/rice/roti) .
    Hope this helps.