1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help me - how to make 3 years old to brush her teeth

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Priya4oct, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I am really frustated with my 3 Year old DDs tantrum in every morning. She doesn't want to brush her teeth. Every day me or DH has to spent 30 min (even more) in the morning and some time we skip her brushing because of time. Since we both work full time and she goes to day care, we get frustated because of her tantrum. She is good for all other things like love to take bath, potty trained (without any effort she got trained) etc but doesn't want to brush her teeth. We tried everything , attarctive brushes , character brushes (she has 6 brushes), tried many tooth paste , stories about germ...everything, but no help.

I had seen my friend whose 3 year do every thing in very nice way, i would say she is very disciplined in every way.

Please help me.

Thaks in advance,
    Priyanka

2. achu1

achu1 Silver IL'ite

You can try any of these.....
    1.Place her in a top position near the kitchen sink and tell some other stories and brush her. It will reduce your tension and you get good position to brush her.
    2. Say that two more dirts in the corner or so, so that we can finish soon.
    3. Let her brush on her own.
    4. Tell her that her teacher asked you to brush her neatly. And scold YOU :wink: for that. (If you dont want to lie her, skip this).;D
    5. Give her any treats.
    6. this thread may help you:How can I brush my toddler's teeth? - BabyCentre

3. kn543

kn543 Bronze IL'ite

My DD just turned four and I still brush her teeth in the morning and she brushes by herself in the night. Even then I brush it once more. She is also like your DD, she hates brushing her teeth and everyday she will find new reasons for not brushing. Thankfully she loves her daycare so I tell her that she cant go to daycare if she doesnt brush and she lets me brush her teeth.

My nephew, same age as my DD (10 days older) started brushing his teeth when he was 2.5yrs old. I used to get tensed but sometimes kids arent ready. We have to let them learn it in their own pace. Now my DD actually has started brushing her teeth quite well.

Well, some suggetions that you can try...
    1) Start letting her brush by herself one time. Maybe she can do it in the evenings so that all of you have time and can have fund while brushing.
    2) If she watched TV, there are episodes about brushing your teeth in Sesame street, bubble guppies, etc. You can let her watch that and tell her that she has start brushing her teeth.
    3) When you visit your ped or dentist talk to them about the importance of brushing teeth and ask them to suggest it to DD. It always works when some one else tells them.

Give her time... try again in a couple of months. She will eventually learn :)

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Invite over some other kids who brush their teeth well and have a tooth brushing party. Let her see other kids who are good at doing this so she thinks it's normal. Reward the kids after they are all done (they will give her pressure to get it finished) with a movie and snacks.

1 person likes this.
  5. icymatrix

icymatrix New IL'ite

hi, I would recommend to use story telling technique.

3 is the best age at which they would respond to manners if taught via 3rd person technique.
    I created a character (fictional) and would usually start telling my DS like, "Do you know what happened to XXX when he missed brushing".... and goes toward the moral of the story.

You could always find books online/stores to preach toddlers about brushing, dressing up, strangers etc., the crucial things that we often sought for help.

give it a try and let us know :)

6. saps105

saps105 Gold IL'ite

I bought her favourite barbie toothbrush. You can try her favourite character toothbrush.

Any particular reason why doesnt she like to brush her teeth? Isnt she liking d taste of d paste? Maybe you can try to change the flavour if she isnt liking it. My dd luvs d strawberry flavour and doesnt like strong flavoured ones. You can also buy colored pastes too if not d taste.

I ask her to check her teeth in the mirror after brushing and whether it has turned white. She loves to check herself in the mirror. Even my dd hated dis particular activity. But now she loves it and prefers to brush on her own.

7. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

my son use to listen to song on youtube, brush your teeth... hahahaa i dont know what happen but now he likes brushing...

let her listen to some songs, other way tell her doctor to let her know about importance of brushing then she will do it.

sometimes doesnt matter what you do they dont do it... it has to be certain time, then they will do it without you trying so hard.. best of luck..

8. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Priya. Was she brushing before and suddenly doesn't want to? A 3 year old can express better so ask her why she doesn't want to? Also these days you have umpty videos like Dora showing potty training etc,.. If she has a favorite cartoon character see if you find a video of it brushing. Also does she like brushing on her own and just not you brushing her if so I would say you should let her explore.

1 person likes this.
  9. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

There is a nursery rhyme "Here we go round the mulberry bush" which lists daily activities like brushing, combing hair, bathing, eating etc etc. My mom used it to make my niece brush. She had to sing it or play it at first but eventually the little girl got used to doing it of her own accord.

10. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame