1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to teach numbers

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sss, Apr 3, 2008.

1. sss

sss New IL'ite

Hi Ilts,

I have 3 1/2 yr old kid. Could any one please tell me how to teach numbers above 10. She knows up to 9.

What is the best way to teach..

I tried so many methods..but all in vain..

Please help me frnds

Thanks,
    Neeta

2. sudhirakumar

sudhirakumar Senior IL'ite

hi

i think the BRAINY BABY -123's DVD for kids might help her .They teach kids upto 20 in a very good manner my son learnt from that CD may be you can try for one in your local library or buy a cd online

Brainy Baby | 123's

i am just sending you the link just for an idea may be u can get it for a better price or better you try for it in your local library if you are in US..

cheers sudhira

3. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Even though I just passed this stage, but not able to remember how my kids learnt it.
    I guess, I didn't put so much strain to teach them. They just learnt it as age passes.

Good luck.

4. sss

sss New IL'ite

Thanks Sudhira i'll request that from near library.

5. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Hi sss

Take it easy. Give your kid some time. They will learn soon from the nursery, as they will be teaching it there. Rather than teaching her, you may want to start counting some blocks and pretend that you have forgotten, what comes next and prompt her to tell that missing number. By this way she will learn it in no time.

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Like Viji and Puni said,take it easy.They will learn all by themselves.We don't have to stress it out.You can probably try practical methods like counting when giving him something to eat like say nuts,sweets etc.I remember my son used to come and say he wants 10 peanuts but will not know how much ten is.Then I will keep placing one by one in his hand and count with him.This sounds very interesting to them and they will pick up quite fast.

Infact,I really don't remember teaching him beyond 10 but he surprised me by counting all the way to 100 one fine day when he was 4 (Now he is 5 1/2)! His teacher says she was also surprised ! Now I am wondering how on earth he learnt that all by himself.Witsend

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  7. Mitra

Mitra Senior IL'ite

Hi ,

I totally agree with puni they will learn on there own .My cutty is 3.5 years she learnt many things on her own like while watching TV,Books etc.I don't want to stress her for learning more .I feel when they learn on there own they remember for ever and there confidence will also develop.I hope this info is useful.

Hi Puni,
    Just thought of saying hi I See you active in these threads most of the time .By the way iam fro NJ .

Regards
    Mitra

8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Neeta,

As other ILites say don't put pressure on yourself and your kid. Atleast you're not in India and no need to prepare your kid to do all these unnecessary tasks to gain entry into KG. My son is 3 yrs old and i never taught him to count backwards (10 to 1). he surprised me one day. Whenever I'm reading a magazine or he sees some numbers (above ten) in the kids' books we borrow from library, he tells me for ex. 2 ones for 11. I correct him that's it. They'll learn it at school. don't worry! Latha