1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Training a toddler to use toilet wipes

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by happywoman, Mar 31, 2008.

1. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

Hi,

How do you train a toddler whos going to school for the first time say a 3yr old to use toilet wipes for potty cleaning,
    Is it not kind of unhygienic to use wipes instead of cleaning with water (like in India)
    Do the daycares in US pottytrain kids by paying an additional amount,
    plsss answer these queries

2. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

hi,
    You don't have to pay extra money for toilet training. Just let them know the child is not toilet trained - in the sense, doesn't know how to clean properly and they should pay personal attention.
    If you are planning to live in US for a long time, it is better to teach the child how to use toilet paper, 'coz that's what they have in schools! we cannot change the whole system, can we? We cannot expect the child to finish all nature calls in the morning before going to school! But we can teach our kids both ways of living. If the child goes to India, it will not get toilet paper!
    Hope this helps!
    Regards,
    Sharada

3. ss.mmm@rediffmail.com

ss.mmm@rediffmail.com New IL'ite

My kid is 21/2 years old and goes to day care in US.
    He is getting potty trained and is doing okay. They take care by fixing regular intervals and making him sit on the toilet. I too try at home. Its not easy at all if you think that it should be done or if you force them to do. Its just fun if you take it that way. He insisted one day that he would pee on the carpet only. I tried to take him to the toilet since he was wearing an underwear. But NO. He was too adamant. I just put an old cloth on the carpet and put him there. After he was done, he told me, this whole place is messy. :)

He has been told that after peeing, he should take a tissue. You know what he does, he pees and then he takes a tissue, puts into the toilet and flushes it. He teaches me too that it needs to be done that way.

Yes, cleaning with water is the best. But as Sharada replied, we cannot teach that practice to our kids if he has to go to day care or school here. They would be confused.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  4. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

hi ss,
    thks so much for the info. I was a bit relieved reading your reply. I now understand that its better to keep trying but not to force it upon the child.