1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

carseat or not?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by nuss, Aug 24, 2013.

1. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Hi lovely ladies,

I'll be travelling with my 13 mo son in Dec. We just came to know that my dh can't travel with us due to some deadline conflict. It will be just 2 of us. Our tickets are already booked so we will have an extra seat (hubby's) and we also bought a ticket for our son. We're planning to take his carseat onboard but now I'm not sure. We've looked into go go carrier and stuff but I'm still kind of torn. Have you travelled with a toddler without a carseat? Is it worth hauling it? Thanks in anticipation!

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Nuss every airline has different policies.I suggest you check with the airlines first.And dont forget to tell them the dimensions of the car seat so that you know if it really fits into the flight seat.Though i think there should not be any problem because all car seats have their standard sizes.

3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Dinny-thanks for your input. We've checked with airlines and they recommend a carseat but it is not mandatory to have one. Our carseat will fit and it is acc to FDA regulations. Vaishnavika- yes, I'm talking abt carseat on plane. My son will be 13 mo in Dec. I'll be travelling from Chicago to Delhi with a connection in Europe. I'm not sure if it will be smart to carry a carseat because I'll need to manage by myself. But I don't want to put baby at risk either. I haven't seen very many families carrying carseats on plane, well I guess I didn't pay much attention either. I'm planning to take one carryon and ergo carrier for baby. Hope it helps!

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

So you have totally 3 seats for which you and your son will be travelling. Does you son sit in a separate seat for long hours?

Since you are travelling alone with your toddler, you will find it extremely difficult if you have to carry a car seat too. Essentially you will have to carry your son (or a stroller if you plan on putting him in it), a carry on (which is most probably a diaper bag with all baby stuff), a purse/handbag for keeping your passports. Believe me you will struggle with all these whenever you pass security. On top of it if you carry car seat I am not sure how you can handle it. Most of the mommies who have posted their travel experiences here have travelled without car seat. While any travel with a toddler is kinda difficult, it is manageable.

Have you asked for bassinet? The airlines usually provide a bassinet for 13 months old too.

1 person likes this.
  5. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

Bassinet is the best option.Try to carry as less as possible as you may be alone to handle with out any help.

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Since your son will be 13 mo, I am not sure if the toddler car seat will fit into your pram like the baby carseat deos. IMO, the pram is a must when you have a connecting flight. A car seat not so much worth the hassle. Also a bassinet is only for children up to 10 months I guess. Since you have two free seats, just take the tips from all those baby websites to keep your son occupied - I guess you wouldn't need to worry about others getting hassled if your son lay down to sleep comfortably across two seats...

7. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@guesshoo Bassinet is generally for babies until they are 1 year old. That bing said the main point is the height/weight restriction. Usually babies do not reach the height/weight restriction when they are 12-13 months old. So a bassinet is definitely a better way to go thn putting the baby in two seats.

8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

nuss, even if they do allow the carseat inside the plane, why do you want to take it? I mean, you will already have your 13 month old, his diaper bag/food/pair of cloths. Why do you want this additional burden of a car-seat with you? You are not allowed to use it in the plane anyway as you dont have the latches in the plane to attach the seat to something. So either he will be on your lap or in the bassinet in the plane (if he falls within their height/weight scale).

So, no, I would not take the care seat if it were me. check that in and take the stroller on-board with you so that you can quickly place him there, put all his stuff in the storage underneath and you have your hands free when you deplane.

9. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Ramyaramani- bassinet is not an option for us. My little boy is in 95 percentile for both height and weight. He's already outgrown bassinet limits. Guesshoo- yes, I'll be carrying some stuff for him to play, def some books as he loves board books. Harithag- yup, trying to travel light, I'll be carrying one carryon- which is a wheeled backpack, may be a cross body purse (most likely I'll have my wallet and passport in ergo carrier's pocket and Ergo to carry the baby. Rakhii- I'm sure car seats are allowed on plane, actually it's recommended to have a car seat for little ones. We're looking into 'go go travel system' or 'sit and stroll' car seat which is a combo car seat + stroller. I think he'd be able to sit in the plane seat but not sure if that will be comfortable.
    Thank you all for your input! I'll keep you posted!

10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Nuss, yes, they are allowed on board but can you place your child in it without latching it to the seat? I dont think so, unless I am mistaken.