1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

18 month old waking several times a night

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Rakhii, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

ladies, I have this huge problem which has started recently and I am at my wits end. As some of you know, mine was a light sleeper from day 1. until last month, which is 17 months, she used to wake up twice a night. I used to give her a little water or rock her and she falls asleep. Since last 2 weeks, she is demanding water every 1 hour or so. Me not giving her water and attempting to put her to sleep is escalating this into a full blown crying episode. At 2 am or 3 am, I am so tired that I give in. She wakes up, water and then sleep. then 1 hour later she wakes up again!

Whats going on? Nothing changed in her routine other than the season. I had to put a hold on potty training too as I can see she is not ready. so, nothing major happening.

Please help me. How can I get her to sleep better. I am a zombie. quite literally.

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Rakhi,

Do you think she is getting dehydrated? Is your heaters on? Hopefully its summers at your place too. Also did you check in her Daycare how is her Nap routing. Sometimes changes in daycare affects them. I have experienced it. Also is she feeding well at night? These are some thing I will look up. If she is sleeping in separate room then she may be doing this to get your attention too. May be one day you can make her cosleep with you and see if it makes a difference. Sorry you're going through this. I think thats why they say women are stronger than anyone and we are called MOTHER's (Matha ,Pitha, Guru., God) We come first :)

1 person likes this.
  3. ppriya182010

ppriya182010 Gold IL'ite

I think at 18 months, a child must sleep thru the night. Looks like your DD is in a phase where she is enjoying the attention (water and mom rocking) and wanting more of it. It may be phase she may grow out of or you mite need to push her out.

I would suggest, let her cry for a little while, go near her, pat her and say quietly its night, we all should sleep now, without lights on and leave the room/crib. If that is possible for you to let her cry. Also try not giving naps in the evening.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rakhii

Chitra, no major changes in her nap routine. She transitioned to one nap a day a while ago and normally is up from her nap at 1 PM. After a bed time routine, which involves bath, massage, reading she sleeps by 8. There is a good 7 hour gap between nap and sleep. So, she is tired. Yes, summers. I told at the daycare to keep offering her water through out the day. Have to see how that goes. Yes, she is feeding well too. 5:45 dinner and 7 pm pre-sleep snack.

Normally she wakes up at 12 in the night and then I go and sleep with her. AC is on and we have a temperature setting of 23 degrees in our home, all through the year.

You think she is getting hot? I put her in cotton PJ's.

Priya, at 18 months, do you think crying it out method will work? I am at my wits end and am wiling to try anything.

5. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Seems everything is perfect and all she needs is mommy attention. Also there is a long gap between Nap and Sleep time. Do you think she can take a later nap and then early bed may be? Crying out should work as long as you're ready to bear it. But again at night, that requires lot of energy both from you and the baby.. Try talking to your Paed as well.

6. ppriya182010

ppriya182010 Gold IL'ite

Rakhii, crying out will work at any age. As long as you/DH are able to bear it. Once you decide you are going to let her cry, you should be consistent. Consistency is the key.

Let her cry for 5 min, go near her and tell quietly she has to sleep as its night. Move out. Let her cry for another 5 min. If she doesn't stop crying, do the same, go near her, tell her to sleep very quietly. Move out. Increase the interval to 10 min. They usually get tired of crying and go to sleep eventually. Do the same next night. In 2-3 nights, she will get the point that mommy is not going to come and rock me.

7. Rakhii

Chitra, she is up by 6 AM. So she doesnt stay up longer than 11 AM. Thats the problem.

Priya, I think as a last resort, I will end up doing this. There doesnt seem to be a way out. Interestingly, this started only a week or so ago. Before she was up only twice a night and drifts right back to sleep. I waited for a week thinking its a phase but I dont want to set this waking up-phase again :(

8. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Rakhii Check if she is teething. She might be getting several teeth at the same time. Water might help soothe her gums. I am not a big fan of CIO. But the period made me think about it. It was a good thing I did not try it. My DD started sleeping through the night exactly 2 months later (most of her teeth were out by then).

9. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

please check on the food that offered to her, it cud be upsetting her tummy.
    doesnt she nap in the afternoon? maybe u can try to give her nap in mid afternoon and put her to sleep at nite later about 9.30pm.
    or is she hungry?
    as for my son, he wakes up about 9am, nap at 11am to 12pm then again nap at 3.30 to 5pm or so.
    dinner at 7.30 and put him to sleep at 9.30pm without milk. at about 10.30pm i will give him 6 oz milk and he never wakes up in between. and at about 6.30am i give 6 oz milk while he is still sleeping.

he will be sleeping on cradle then i will put him beside me when i go to bed. he likes to snuggle close to me and at time he will wakes up when i wake early to get ready to work. after offering his morning milk i will put on him sleep again on cradle.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  10. Rakhii

Ramya, in our recent trip to the dentist, he did say that soon her molars will break. This is why i was a littl reluctant to start CIO method as I know she is kinda in pain/discomfort. My vent was, I am just so tired you know. waking up every hour or so. I also have a full time, demanding job...

honestly though, even though I say i will try CIO, I probably will not.

What do you mean your LO started sleeping through exactly 2 months later? you mean at 20 months?
    Shantana, I think its not food as i have not given her anything unusual. But it could be the molars. Well, rectnly she transitioned herself to one nap Shnatana. Initially it was 2 naps and she used to wake up at 4 or 4:30.

I cannot change her timings to 9:30 either. the reason is, we leave for the daycare fairly early in the morning; 6:30 AM. So, putting her to bed at 9:30 will only give her 9 hours of sleep. I want at least 10-11 hours sleep for her as she is only 18 months. But I am doing what you do though, on the way to daycare she drinks milk. on weekends, she skips milk and has breakfast directly.

Thanks for standing by me. does he still wake up in the middle of the night?