1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby not pooping after solids

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Gomathiselvi, May 13, 2013.

1. Gomathiselvi

Gomathiselvi New IL'ite

Hi,

My baby is 5 months old. I started giving him solids from yesterday. While I was exclusively breast feeding him, he used to poop once in a week. My doctor told it was fine for breastfed babies. But now, even after starting solids, he has not had bowel movement. Can some help me on this? Is this expected? I fed him kanji prepared by my mom. It has ragi,moong dhal, boiled rice, samba wheat, barley.

2. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

give min banaba ( Malavalai palam ) at night.
    you have started yesterday only no need to worry.

3. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I would recommend u to start simple diet at this stage. While introducing external diet to babies it is advisable to start with dal, rice water. For at least 2weeks give him liquid diet and introduce one item at a time. if u start with moong dal(split yellow dal without husk) give it once daily for 3-4 days and see if it suits him then go for another variety, test everything for atleast 2-3 days before u confirm the digestive ability of ur lil one.

I dont know whether pooping once a week while b'feed is an healthy sign as the baby grows. Also check the consistency u r giving to him. Babies till 6m should be fed diet that is finely ground, well cooked and the consistency should be little watery and not like gravy.
    bye!
    sudha

4. adraylay

adraylay New IL'ite

My child feel his tummy is bloated and I guess need to bring him to the doctor again but his constipation will come back again after a while. I am so worried.. what should i do?

5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@adraylay, my child always had the issues with constipation. I have tried several natural ways (like foods rich in fiber) which worked only to an extent. The doctor then prescribed me an over the counter laxative which she has to take a spoonful everyday (mixed with a cup of water). I wanst keen on going the medication way but the constipaion was so severe that the doctor said its the only way.

6. ashleygoh1314

ashleygoh1314 New IL'ite

[TABLE="width: 380"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Hi, you could try home remedies! I think is less chemical and good for babies. Better swicth to milk powder that contains high pre-biotic, it will be good for long term prevention. [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

7. Pankajdas

Pankajdas New IL'ite

Hi, you could try home remedies! I think is less chemical and good for babies.