1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Potty training failure with my 2 and half yr old

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by jignasha27, Jan 31, 2013.

1. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    It's been five days and I see no change. We are on underwear. No diapers except nap time in afternoon and night time, in which diaper comes out dry most of the time..... He understands everything. He speaks well. Ask him 100 times where you do pee-pee and he says" in the toilet seat". But hw does it on carpet every time. It's been 5 days and not even once he is telling me. I tele him every 30 mins he plays there and some times by luck he does his job. Blue not all the times. We sit there for 15 mins and after coming out when am not around he does it on carpet and not even informing me that he did......seriously I go out of my control sometimes. I try to control my emotions and anger but sometimes end up shouting at him. Every time after doing he says sorry mamma next time I will inform you. I know this happens as he will be busy with his toys but don't understand where am going wrong?
    Ladies I read each and every page of potty training articles..... What to do? I tried giving rewards too but nothing is working....I don't want to stop...let him take few months....eventually he will get it....what do you all say....

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I started potty training my 19 month old 10 days back. She knows where to poop/pee but still does it in the carpet. So I decided to observe her peeing schedule. As soon as she gets up in the morning I make her sit in the potty. From that time at regular intervals (decided after seeing her schedule) I place her in the potty.

Initially she would not sit in the potty. At that time I did not realize the schedule. I was placing her every 1 hour or so. It did not work. I analyzed her schedule for 2 days. Then I placed her in the potty at the exact time. She would pee within a minute. If she does not pee but runs, I would again try after 5 minutes.

She does not know the feeling of 'pee/poop coming'. She realizes it only after she goes. But now she knows that when sits in the potty he has to go. Of course there are accidents and yeah, she never tells me. Maybe she is too young. But there are rare times when she sits in the potty and does it herself.

Everytime she pees in the potty, I make a big happy scene. She recognizes that going in the potty is a big thing. If she pees on the carpet she calls me and points the potty.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

5 days is too short to see progress in boys, and that too during winter.

Make him sit on the potty every 30 min. For only 5 min. Having to leave his toys and other nice things, every 30 (or rather every 25 min) will soon make him go in the potty. Be consistent. When he goes a few times, you can progress to having him sit on the potty every 45 min. Keep things business like when he is on the potty, minimal conversation, no stories, nursery rhymes or other entertainment.

About losing your cool, happens. Try to put plastic tarps on most areas of the carpet, though be careful as he might slip while running. Get other housework done earlier in the day, and maybe get take-out dinner a few times.

Potty training is like that... frustrating... but when it happens, there's often no looking back. Do try not to get angry at him for every accident...

4. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

Tight hugs to you . My son is 2 yrs and started potty training when he turned 2 . i gave him rewards to make him sit in the potty and put some activity thing in the toilet which encouraged him after 3 days of training then i asked him to do his business and show him at end what he did and say "this is kaka and u need to press this button and call amma once finished " . When he gets up i feed him milk and after 20 mins i put him in the potty now i bought a potty with lil ladder which encourage him to climb and do his business sometimes he does accident i say to him firmly next time you should call amma or go near the toilet to do your business . in two months time he has done many accidents but getting emotional or angry at child will affect them so much and sometimes it does discourage them to do poo regularly and cause other problems . So be gentle will children under 5 yrs and tell them multiple times . 5 days is too short for them to train . you give atleast 3-5 months to get trained . Iam working mom so i get only weekend thats why it took me this long he is still been trained dont get me wrong and never take word from internet that you can train your kid within a week or two too much expectation and it will turn you away so set up a frame 3 months i bet you will train him well before it if you are a fulltime mom . also put him regularly every 30-40 mins to potty and leave him naked once a week with a shirt only.

good luck

5. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for te encouragement ladies....yeah 5 days is too short I know...but I was just wondering that after telling him several times he forgets and does on carpet....but yeah kids don't want to waste their time and leave their toys.....yesterday night before bed I put on his diapers and few mins later he peed....when I asked why dint you inform mamma and you know what he says" that's ok mamma it's diaper":bonk I felt like hugging and kissing him( kids sometimes act really naughty....I wonder from where they learn).... Anyways yes Am not in a hurry still much more time for his school...but still out of all accidents in a day at least I expect once he let me know.....so lets hope for the best....

2 people like this.
  6. chotabheem

chotabheem Gold IL'ite

" that's ok mamma it's diaper" So cute jignaasha :) muaah to your little prince

7. SurekhaKrishna

SurekhaKrishna Bronze IL'ite

May I ask you all one question?My LO turns 3 in April and giving her potty training.
    Can you pls share the name of the carpet cleaner spray which you use and are satisfied?
    I am getting from dollar store.Anybody knows the brand available in walmart .

@ Jignasha
    How are you?Heard from you after long time :)
    My LO does not tell before pee comes out.I have to make her sit on potty for every hour.She informs in the early morning as soon as she wakes up from sleep.But she already did it in diapers before i take her to potty.One improvement since the time she is trained is she is atleast informing now after she goes in diaper/underpants.

Dont worry LO will be informing mommy in no time.Even my daughter Pead has told that kids will be busy in playing and forget to sit on potty during training stage.So just Relax and continue your training as usual.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  8. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

Hi surekha,
    How have you been dear? Yeah it's been loooooong time...... Howz ur little one doing? I saw that she is going to school now...congrats:)

And let's come to potty training.... Really having hard time....the last thing on this earth my kid want to do is sit still noe even for a second....we are on underwears.....no diapers except during naps....it's been 8 days...in between one day he informed me very time he wanted to go both pee and poo....and that moment was proudest moment of my life....and then from next day no...nothing...he would happily stand and pee on carpet...and now a days started cleaning by himself....oh god plzzzz....actually I observed that when he wants to go he wiggles or touch there. If I ask he would say no ( he feels its waste of time) . I take him sit there for 5 mins or more but no....comes out and with in a min he does....what a frustration....I don't understand why he is doing like that....am not giving any toys or phones in the potty thinking he is getting distracted but now he is playing his imaginary games sitting there....he can sit for 30 mins and won't do anything. The moment he comes out he does....poor kid and more than poor mamma :,(
    Plzzzz ladies any help from you accepted.....

And regarding spray am in search...hehhehhe....yeah make sure it must be disinfecting one....hey how about in pet section we might find one......

9. kkmom

kkmom Silver IL'ite

Hi Jignasha,

My DS is 2.6 yrs, It took me 2 months to train him completely. In the month of Nov he was almost potty trained, But our fate we relocated to new state and lo again started wearing diapers, I was down completely. It took all the energy out of me to get him trained, I left him to get settled in the new place.

I finish my work early and spend the whole day playing with him, once he says pee-pee, I carry him and run to the bathroom, he laughs and giggles while running. Later he started saying "mommy run run" we both hold hands and run to potty. I tried to make the potty time like a fun activity.

For the past one month he is going to pre school, at home I don't put diapers but I made him wear in school to avoid accidents. To my surprise he said he don't want to wear diapers in school. He said he likes the potty room which is very colourful and painted with all his favorite cartoon characters. Last weekend was the first time I took him shopping without diapers, he said when he wanted to pee. I felt on top of the world :)

I suggest you not to leave your cool. My friend's DD was just 1.8 months when she potty trained and her sis son was 3 and was not potty trained. It differs from one kid to another.

And regarding carpet cleaning, You can rent a steam vac from Home Depot and shampoo your carpet.

Good luck :thumbsup

10. kkmom

kkmom Silver IL'ite

Your son is a cutie pie :)