1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

No Antibiotics!! only home remedies(cold and cough)

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Dinny, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

With every climate change kids catch cold.Cold helps develop body's resistance instead we use antibiotics to suppress it.Understand that antibiotics can never completely cure cough and cold.If you start using home remedies immediately after a cold starts then the cold would be gone in 3-5 days.Home remedies help children develop their resistance and slowly the cold would be gone in just 1-2days.

1.Mix a little turmeric powder and little honey ,so that it is little loose.You can give it 3-4times a day.(you can make turmeric powder at home if you can manage dried turmeric from supermarkets and then grind it to powder)

2. Mix 1 tablespoon of honey and 1tbsp of ginger juice.Use a dropper if your child is not very keen on takin it.This is extremely effective if you give it the first thing in the morning.

3.Strain 1/2 tsp dried ginger powder(chukku/ saunth) with 1/4tsp of pepper and mix it with honey.Give it 2times a day

4.make a concoction of 2-3small pods of garlic with sugar crystals by boiling it with little water 200ml.when it turns half its quantity then let it cool.you can give it occasionally during a day.the concoction should be used within a day.

But try not giving honey to children under the age of 1.And if possible try avoiding a headbath for 1-2days.For somedays you might have to just sponge the kid.Let the child sleep well.For the first one or two days the child might still be coughing but usually by the 3rd or 4th day,it will come back to running nose and then it takes another 1-2 days for cold to go off completely.

6 people like this.

2. archana506

archana506 Gold IL'ite

Re: Kids got cold? Use home remedies and No Antibiotics

Thanks for the tips..

3. vandanasrinivas

vandanasrinivas Silver IL'ite

what r d remedies for cough(flum in chest or throat infection)...please guide me..

4. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Hi vandana srnivas
    Try giving home remedies to your kid as soon as cough/cold start.With cough these home remedies will take one or 2 extra days to cure.Be patient.And yes if your child is getting cold very often try giving Amla/gooseberry in any of its form like chutney(i use it with roasted coconut)/aarishtam/murabba.
    For Throat infection if it starts with the onset of fever then be careful.Try taking advice of a good homeopath/ayurveda doctor. But if throat infection starts with slight pain while swallowing then try rinsing mouth with lukewarm water and little crushed chilly and little salt.

5. pinki123

pinki123 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks dinny for sharing these tips..

6. sasirekamsc83

sasirekamsc83 Silver IL'ite

Very useful tips, thanks for sharing...:thumbsup:thankyou2:

7. mercyagin

mercyagin Gold IL'ite

Hi Dinny, what if the child is below six months? wht to do for cough? I normally breastfeed my baby at regular intervals if I feel that she may get cold. But I have noticed that she coughs sometimes. Is there any home remedy which I can drink or eat for her health issues.

8. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Hi mercyagin

for kids under the age of 1..salt solution (nasal drops of salt solution is what i used when my kid was young).It is available easily in the pharmacies and can be used in regular intervals.It helps to relieve cough also if given in regular intervals of 4hours.But dont give another dosage within 4 hours ..do so only after taking your doctors advice.though Salt solution is not harmful.and it can be made at home too.

9. vandanasrinivas

vandanasrinivas Silver IL'ite

thanq dinny...

10. kundavai

kundavai New IL'ite

Hi Dinny,
    My kid often gets cold and cough. I usually give him home made kashayams. But this time it's been 20 days. He still has cough. That too during night when he lies down for sleep and in the morning immediately after he wakes up. Have tried antibiotic too and done with a course of homeopathic medicine too. But when I give him honey the cough stops immediately and he sleeps..but y is it reoccuring? U r suggestions will be of great help.