1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My 2.5 yrs old not interested in learning alphabets and numbers

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by jignasha27, Jan 2, 2013.

1. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

Am not complaining about my kid but just concerned. Do you think if at this age he is not showing interest in learning he will lack behind academically..... He is very smart in other matters.....he speaks well...we were on our India trip last 3 months and he picked up our mother tongue so fast that now he speaks everything where as he was not talking much before our trip. He sees any person or thing and never forgets them....he knows basic shapes, few vegetables and animals. But when comes to learning alphabets and numbers he sits for 2 mins and then says lets play something else. I don't want pressurize him and push him in this competitive world but when friend of mine with same age kids discuss about their kis I question myself will he lack behind others or am I not teaching him properly.....I know he is very street smart and not a shy kid....talks to any person he meets. Not scared of nay thing. I have many things from puzzle to magnetic alphabets on fridge. When I show him videos he says he doesn't want to see these videos instead he asks for his favorite videos( little bill, caliou,curious George etc ) he plays very well with other toys..... But when compared to other kids academically he knows very less....should I be concerned.....DH blames me that I waste my time in cleaning my house :(

Thanks ladies....

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

jignasha,

from your post, the way I see it your child has more positives on his side than negatives. Learning will come - I tell you what when introduced at the right time either through pre school or KG, he will learn and may be he will learn even better and do better as well. Schools here are fairly laid back till about 2nd grade, so you will have plenty of time to teach. That said, it does not mean you should not continue making an effort to teach him just that stop paying as much attention to others' kids. Just make a mental note of what other kids are doing and continue to encourage your child to continue learning where he is interested. These are such precious years, just enjoy. You are doing awesome. Best wishes

3. kkmom

kkmom Silver IL'ite

I would suggest you to play the videos on you tube (abc songs, colors song, trains that teaches) whether he watches or not simply on and you sit and watch. Initially he might ignore, he will slowly start watching with you. All the best.