1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kid having tough time in Daycare

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by klniha, Nov 28, 2012.

1. klniha

klniha Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

My son is 2yrs old and I put him in daycare recently actually few days back. He has been crying very badly, most importantly not eating anything. I put him for half days now so I could put him to full day in few weeks when I join work. I am unable to concentrate on anything. The teachers say its common for kids to take a while to adjust when they have never been away from mom. But till when is this going to continue. I drop him and come home and cry everyday. I dont know how to cope with this? If he continues to not eat like this then wouldnt he become weak by evening when I join him for full time? Can you pls share your experiences. I gave his fave toy which he holds in the class. I go visit him secretly and peek but not able to do anything about it. I want to call for help only when it is absolutely necessary after I am convinced no amount of time is able to get used to the place.

Pls share your experiences on how long it took for you kid to adjust etc and at what age you joined him/her

2. luvli

luvli Silver IL'ite

Hi,

It took almost 20 days for my baby to get adjusted. That 20 days were the most horrible for me as a mom.
    Even I used to cry as soon as I left her in day care.

But now, she is so happy in daycare. I took some videos hiding from another class. She is very happy, playing and interacting with other kids.

Before daycare, we used to feed her for at least an hour. It was same story for almost every meal.
    Now she eats on her own. When she is hungry, she clearly asks for food. Eats how much ever she wants.

I'm sure your kid will enjoy it soon. Few tips which might help...
    1) Be consistent with timings
    2) Try to explain that after work, you will pick him up.
    3) After daycare, ask him what he did in daycare... Talk all the positive things... like... wow... so many toys at your daycare... Did you have fun?

Hope this helps.

3 people like this.
  3. Sarah61212

Sarah61212 Silver IL'ite

I started sending my DS to daycare when he was 18 months old. For first one month I sent him from 9am to 12noon, he used to cry a lot and was very difficult for me to leave him like that and come home but I just encouraged myself saying this is just a passing cloud for few days and later everything will be fine
    for first one week i used to wait in the car outside for those 3 hrs but gradually he started adjusting and the crying spells reduced slowly ..
    for next month i put him from 9am to 3pm for 2 months and then now he goes from morning till evening ...

my advice is since you are not working yet so slowly increase his time in day care like from few hours initially for one month and then next month half day and when he is totally fine then put him full day ...
    it will be hard in the first month but later on they will enjoy daycare .... now my DS eats well at daycare rather than at home so just give some time for urself and also your kid ...
    dont be in a hurry that he should adjust fast , it will take few months may be at the most 3-4months to be completely ok with daycare but within one month you will see lot of change in your kid ..

2 people like this.
  4. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Ki Khiniha,

As others suggested it's very common but your kid will also get adjusted. Some kids take only few days and some few months. I know as a mother it's very difficult but trust me once these days will be passed you will enjoy. First time I sent my DD in daycare when she was 11 mnth old..she got adjusted in one week and was there for an year. Initially I was not going to drop her as I couldn't leave her while crying so asked husband to go ( until unless he has some meeting) whenever I was going to drop she was crying madly and I was also not able to concentrate on any thing. Now I was re-started my DDs (now 2 yr old) day care after 4 month gap and same scenario..She cry like a mad , do not eat any thing but seems she is getting adjusted now ( atleast not crying for full day). Few things which I followed/following -

1. I am not going to drop her as I might not be able to concentrate on my work if leave her crying.

2. Daily I give her a milk bottle, juice can (small Tropicana for kids) and some her favorite snacks and asked nanny to give juice and milk on her hand so atleast she can drink if feel hungry. First day she didn't drink even one ML but finished juice yesterday (her second day) and half of milk ( left her for 4-5 hours only). Though she didn't eat any thing but I am happy that she finished her juice.

3. I have asked her nanny to let her play with her kid and feed with her kid as kids eat/play what they watch for others ( last time she was going to a daycare..this time going to a Indian nanny)

4. I also gave her fvrt toys and books to nanny and explained her how I/husband play with her at home.

I followed these last time and following this time as well and expecting she will be settled soon.

5. klniha

klniha Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Thank you for your time.

@luvli How old was your daughter? Was she eating when she was crying, those 20days.

@Sarah So did your child take almost 2 months to get used to? Must be tough time. I will be working in 2 weeks.

@Priya4Oct Thank you. I also tried giving him juice, he had half of it, dint have milk. Not sure if it will get better.

6. luvli

luvli Silver IL'ite

My daughter was 16 months when we started her daycare. She was not eating much at daycare.
    For Breakfast and dinner, we used to try to feed her well. Sometimes she used to eat. Sometimes she would just fall asleep. I know its very hard. This is passing cloud.

Few tips which might help...

1) For breakfast - I used to feed her ragi malt at 5:00 AM or 6:00 AM with semi solid feeding bottle when she was still sleeping. Many gave me suggestions against this. I'm comfortable with this and I follow my instinct. I'm at peace that she at least had something and a healthy one too.
    If she has cold, I feed her green smoothie or some veg/fruit juice. After she wakes up, I used to give her normal breakfast like omelet/brown bread / dry cereal, while I'm getting ready. She won't eat this much as she is already filled with ragi malt. I just try.

2) Immediately after coming from day care, she usually is damn hungry. I give her some fruit while I prepare dinner. After she finishes fruit, I give her some boiled veggies.
    Snacks which she likes (yogurt, nuts, milk) would be last... after she finishes her dinner.

3) We bought dry ginger powder from whole foods. When she has cold or not eating well, I add pinch of this powder to her milk. She usually eats well after I do this.

Good Luck. I'm sure your kid gets adjusted to the day care setup soon...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  7. DivyaBharati

DivyaBharati Silver IL'ite

luvli where do you get this dry ginger powder, i mean which shop?

8. luvli

luvli Silver IL'ite

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  9. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

You can get dry ginger powder even in Indian stores. I bought in Indian stores. Try it.

10. klniha

klniha Bronze IL'ite

Thank you luvli. Thing is my son vomits when he cries to hard. So eventhough I give him milk or something, he vomits after going to daycare. Once he is adjusted and stops crying, I will try to feed him something and send him.

Even I give my son milk in a bottle when asleep. Y do you think people suggested its not a good idea. I dont mind it either.