1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speech therapy advised for 2.8 yr old...pl help

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by ridgemma, Jul 5, 2012.

1. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Dear Friends,

I am writing here after a long thoughtful day....By writing this post I never wanted to complain nor compare about my DD...she is such a beautiful, charming bubbly kutti...

She will turn 3 in August...she says rhymes, slokas, sings bhajans and very good in her playschool...she even bagged 2 awards of being attentive child and rhymer of the year...

But the problem, her day-to-day communication has not improved at all...she doesn't call us (like amma, appa, thatha,paaati)...she only follows one instruction at a time..she helps me at home by taking dry clothers and keeping then in place, when she su su accidently, she takes the mop and tries to mop...but so far, doesn't communicate su su and pee...she communicates after she is done.

She doesn't express her willingness..like I take her to garden everyday..but even one day if I don't she doesnt ask..she just plays at home with her toys..even in garden she loves to play alone and doesn't mingle..At home she asks a few things like thanni venuma, biscuita (see here also, she asks the way we question some one)...and she uses irrelevant terms..like we were returning from her grandpa's house and suddenly she calls "Sarvesh, Sarvesh" (Sarvesh is her cousin)...when I asked, kannama, where is sarvesh here and why are you calling him now, she just blinks...It is difficult to get an answer or response from her...

When I expressed these concerns, my Paed suggested for speech evaluation and we got her evaluated at Ramachandra (SRMC), Chennai. They told her speech is only that of 14-15 months old and shows no person markers...coined a term MRELD(Mixed receptive and expressive language disorder)...these children will have excellent audio visual ability , love routine, will be able to repeat and remember they see and hear over TV/rhymes etc...but talking on their own and forming sentences, expressing will be difficult...They also advised for speech therapy weekly twice...I am taking her..

Meanwhile, whenever I say or try to teach her to ask, she is so concentrated in the "want", rather than asking...like today, she wanted water in her red mug from water can..I asked her to hold and tried to teach to hold the mug just below the tap, but she got frustrated and started hitting against the wall...then I pacified her and gave her water...

How do I handle this now...pls need your advice and suggestions....is SRMC good for speech therapy...or do you advice any other centers...

In SRMC, they have just-out-of college or trainee therpaists giving training to my daughter, that too only for half-an-hour...is this enough..pls help

1 person likes this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
  3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

4. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Shanvy dear,

Yeah...it is long since I was active in IL....now you know what took my time :)
    Another opinion,hmmmmm....think i would get more confused.... I want to wait and see how this goes, 3 months is my time frame....the links are very informative and will definitely help me...

My mom and DH scolds me I am too aggressive for my child and imposing therapy on her...hope you would have read a recent article in Hindu on therapy and more for kids....

what are aids that would help in this process...I was also suggested to buy "It takes two to talk" by Hanen Learning centre...

5. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Thanks dear...

So far in SRMC they use lot of flash cards on expression and stimulating speech...but compared to other places cost is far less...i heard others charge minimum of 500 for an hour or so....

But my concern will half-an-hour be suffice...will be helpful if other moms throw some light on the duration speech therapy is given...

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

ridge,

i understood dear.. now go with your mother's instinct.. and take all articles with a pinch of salt..there is more to an article than it is seen from a readers point of view..

one day chocolate is called the devil and the next day it called the saviour...

now if you do not want to go for a second opinion, how about just calling some of the speech centre, and find out how long they do and how much it costs and just like that..fishing for details..make a tabular column.. write down all the questions, then the treatment SRMC is doing,

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/personal-services/12651-occupational-speech-therapy-centres.html

One of my friends talked about a therapist, someone in her friend's circle used at aminjikarai Dr.Saikrishna??
    and also
    MERF Welcome To MERF Institute of Speech & Hearing
    Lots of hugs to the little one and lots of patience vibes to you ridge..

1 person likes this.
  7. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi there,

Try to contact Sheeba Anand who works at the SRTC in K.K. Nagar. She is a speech therapist by training. I don't know if she takes private practice but she is a good resource for parents and has very good communication skills (at the end of the conversation you'll actually leave with a sense of confidence and clarity). She has been in this field for 20 years and as she is with the state rehab center has a good understanding of services offered in different organizations, especially in and around Chennai.

Typically a pull out session is only to introduce the skills. Adults in the child's life will have to be made aware of her needs and the manner in which to interact to reinforce the skills taught in speech therapy. That is the only way to help the child understand that theses skills work across different environments and not just in a room with the slp.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
    2 people like this.
  8. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Thanks dear,

I understand Sheeba takes if the child is in M.R category...She also comes to KKR ENT clinic,Anna nagar..I got her number googling...but guess a discussion will show more resources, pointers...

9. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    Sheeba sees children with other diagnoses as well...I see some of the kids with other complaints on her case load for different needs. In fact it is because her experience is so varied that I suggested her name. If she feels that there are other questions she will give you a heads up on what information you should be looking for, to guide you in your therapist search.

Yes, she goes to KKR but I think she has a small caseload because of the time constraints. Even if she can't take your daughter on, she will definitely talk to you and clarify your doubts. That is one of her strengths...just two weeks ago I heard a mom thanking her for clarifying her doubts "without getting angry or irritated, even if I ask the same thing over and over again". You can tell her I suggested that she talk to you (if you decide to contact her).

Rama

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  10. divya6

divya6 Bronze IL'ite

hi friend ,
    big hugs to you..i am also in the same situation as you are...my kid is 3.5yrs and he is taking speech therapy lessons.i don't think you really have to worry about the duration time of the speech therapy classes. Because my son attends classes weekly 3 days ,then they made it to 2 days.there are kids who are taking the classes 5 days also.eveything varies from child to child.obviously even we need to do our part..i am trying and trying i am sure that i'll succeed and so do you...same thing was happening to my child he will say what i say .then slowly i started telling his part too..and slowly he is saying that...i am not sure about SRMC, how it works .but lets pray to God...am sure you will succeed...:)

divya

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2012