1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do you read out a story to your kid

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by RamyaSridhar1978, Jan 31, 2012.

1. RamyaSridhar1978

RamyaSridhar1978 Gold IL'ite

hi ladies
    I wanted to know how do you read out stories to your kid.. Since the book is in English do you read out as is .. Then explain it in your mother tongue o. Or presume that he or she has understood. .. My kids are 3 mnths short to complete 2 yrs
    Thanks

2. navis

navis Gold IL'ite

hi,ramya

this is what i do
    i myself first read and prepare to tell him the story in our mother tongue with lots of actions and playway type which he really enjoys. while narrating the story i tend to ask lots of questions so that i can clearly understand if he has understood . the same storywill be repeated for 2 to 3 days till he start asking back questions regarding the story. once iconfirm he understood i start with reading the story in english .mainly he does it reading spellings and i help him in breaking and reading the words so he pronounce the word properly and explain him each word what it means. once we finish reading the story again and again, he himself narrates the story in his own words .

really that the fun time for ur family to hear his story in a different language. a mixture of english , and tamil.

3. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

You can also Read the story in English first...highlight the meanings of the words by pointing to pictures (understanding from context), point to the words as you read the sentences.

Second time, read each sentence, repeat in native lingo, finally the sentence in English again. It is called sandwiching...English, native tongue, English. When you explain in your native tongue-your entire sentence should be in the same language. This helps in learning vocabulary in both languages to the same degree of fluency.

The first is to hear fluent language and learn reading behaviors (looking at pictures, left to right directionality, etc). The second step is to work on comprehension.

Reread the story several times over the week...children get more and more with rereads.

4. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ramya,
    Even i do the same as mentioned in the earlier posts.let me share with you that i myself used to be very fond of stories,even up to i was in my high school...hahaha.so i still remember a lot of them,so at times i ask my baby that if she wants to hear a story and she is like" Mama,kawa ki,monkey ki,sheep ki" and it goes on n on.at times she even ask me to tell her "fan ki kahani".you can first try to make your baby understand in your native language and then in the English.but the trick is to repeat it again n again till your baby has understood it in both languages.

5. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

My professional advice on child raising is never teach your child your native language if they are exposed to too much english language ( ppl like me living in foreign land always child programs is in english only ) for 2 yrs .. as they will get confused abt the learning and cant learn one language properly .. but if you are in mother land feel free to read native stories and teach them second language english after 2 yrs they will pickup the words very easily and quickly .. ( the fact is from early learning dvd from sydney government )

6. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I started to read stories to my DD when she was 6 or 7 months old. I sat her up in my lap and read the stories
    by holding the finger on each word. Repeated reading will help to develop comprehension.I will not explain the story at that age. They will get the story by their own. Now she is 5.5 years old and she is a very good reader,
    comparing with the other kids in her class. If I ask her to read the story now she loves to grab the book and read. If I read the story, I will ask questions and explain.