1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Working moms, how do you manage to spend time with your LO?!

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by shobna, Jul 14, 2011.

1. shobna

shobna Bronze IL'ite

Hi ILites,

I am a mother of 2.5 year old kid and working too.. My MIL and FIL take care of my DS when am at work...Since I work in the IT field, sometimes, I get back home as late as 9..and once back home, I would yearn to spend time with him (he would also keep calling me to tell him stories and play with him), but once back home, I am left with kitchen work (it takes about 1-2 hours to set everything ok). After that, my kid becomes too sleepy, and I feel guilty for not having spent enough time with him. I do make it a point to spend quality time with him in the weekends, but still I feel guilty am not able to spend quality time with him everyday...working mothers, please let me know how you all manage this?! Are you able to give your LO time everyday, if yes, how do you do it? Pls. let me know.... :confused2:

2. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

When I was in India,I had a maid to do other work and my entire focus was on my son after I come back from office..

If it is not possible for you to have a cook may be you can have help to get everythign else done...Like cuttign veg, Cleaning,prep for next day..It will save a lot of your time and you will not feel guilty....

One more important thing,you are the only person who can set a limit to your work timings...If you keep giving time to your work, you manager will keep expecting it...Just keep telling everyone who asks for extra time that you have a small child at home and cannot stay late in office....If you are open to work late in the night , ask for a laptop..This is what I followed , Most days I would sit and work late at night after my son sleeps to finish my work....some time i would do only with 2 or 3 hrs sleep if the work was too important but would ensure that i am back in time to spend time with my son.

3. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

I agree with armummy. Offload all the stressful work (cooking, cleaning) to a maid. Also, ask other family members to pitch in. If you come back by 9, everyone should not be waiting for you to come back and start from scratch. Probably your MIL can chop veggies and keep them ready or knead the atta.

It will relieve you of the tension that work is pending and you can spend some good time with your son.

4. shobna

shobna Bronze IL'ite

Thank you armummy and Orion80 for your responses,
    Yes, I feel I too need to have some domestic help to help me spend more time with my kid.
    Sometimes I take help from my husband when I get back home late..but I guess I should have a good back up on days am late. Will think of getting a maid to help around....

5. CharanyaRam

CharanyaRam Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shobana,

Im mother of 2.8yrs old boy kid and I face the same situation like you. I work for an IT concern where i need to work in shifts. He goes to paly school in the morning bw 9-12, i will spend good time with him in the morning and get him prpared to school, if i have to go in the evening shift. Again it will be just 3-4 hrs o spend with him. So most often i take up night shifts or morning shift so that either he will be sleeping or in school while i work. I will finish all cooking and cleaning work just in a play way with him. He will be always behind me or i will just give him some coloring actvity while i cook. though i have maid, she is not very helpful.

Now im moving to a diffrent country and have to take up a diffrent job, really tensed. As mine is very much attached only to me and fuss to take food from his father even he tries out diffrenmt ways to feed him. Dont know how safe to leave the kids in the daycare from morning till evening in other countries.

Otherwise in india a good daycare with lots of activities will make the kids engaged in some small activities the whole day, which the kids will get used to and start catering their needs/ spend the time on their own in a useful way.