1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to stop bedwetting?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by mickeymini, Jun 30, 2011.

1. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Hi friends can you please tell me when you have stopped diapers for your kids. My LO is 3 1/2 years now and i have stopped diapers during outing or when he goes to playschool. Iam planning to stop it even during nights. So i dont put him diapers when he goes to sleep during nights now. But the problem is he sometimes still wets the bed. I keep telling him that he is not on diapers and has to go to toilet and he will also say yes. But sometimes he wets the bed. I also take him to toilet once in 3 hrs ( I keep alarm and take him once at 2 am in the night and again at 5 am) but still this happens.

Is there anyway by which we can make him understand that he should avoid doing it? What do you people do to avoid this. Please pour in your suggestions and ideas regarding this.

2. shobna

shobna Bronze IL'ite

Hi Mickeymini,
    thanks for starting this thread. I too have the same problem with my 2.5 years old kid...
    I had him put on diapers till last month during night alone...but off late, he starts crying when we try putting him on diaper..he has started feeling uncomfortable and I stopped. But during the nights, we get up 1-2 times to take him to the bathroom, but sometimes he wets the bed much before the expected time... Dont know what to do... I hope to get some replies through this thread!

3. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Hi shobhana you do have the same problem is it? More than 60 views but i havent got any replies so far!!! I dont know why nobody has a solution for this???

4. shobna

shobna Bronze IL'ite

Yes mickeymini, everyday it worries me, because my kid sometimes doesn't even cry when he wets bed in his sleep. when i wake up to check, it is painful to see him sleeping with wet pants :( I tried changing the time intervals to take him to the bathroom, but it doesn't work always :(

5. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Ya even i feel very guilty when i see the LO fully wet, not only his pants sometimes even his shirts. He generally doesnt pass urine when he sleeps but it happens only when he just wakes up in the middle (i think) so now i have again started diapers during night :hide:.

6. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

If your kid is wetting the bed before 3hrs, then one reason might be due to intake of lot of water or liquids before going to bed. Try to reduce his water intake by a little.

Sometimes, kids wet the bed if they have a bad dream or are suddenly scared. If he is sleeping with you then cuddle him. If he is sleeping separately, then give him his favourite toy which he can hug and sleep.

If he can go to the toilet by himself and not going in the middle of the night, then try increasing the ambient lighting in the room so that he is not afraid to go to the toilet alone.

Make sure he goes to toilet before he sleeps. That will increase the interval.

7. shobna

shobna Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Orion...I'll try reducing water intake before bed time and see..
    He sleeps with me through night, and he is still not trained to use the toilet alone..
    thanks a lot for your suggestion!

8. prads

prads New IL'ite

I am not experienced on this matter to comment, but I have read in many books and forums that decreasing the liquid intake is not good. Try taking him to the toilet just before going to bed.

9. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Prads, in my post it is "before going to bed". Thats what even shobna posted.

Decreasing water intake thru the day is not good, either for kids or for adults.

10. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

It is my understanding that bladder control, especially in boys, can take a protacted time to develop and some worse than others. I believe it is nervous system development so you might have to just a while longer. He may not be getting that urge alarm properly yet so don't despair. Since he can control during the day, you know that he does not have some other problem.