1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

summer activity for 3 year old -- suggestion please

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by madhoo78, Apr 8, 2011.

1. madhoo78

madhoo78 Bronze IL'ite

my little one is three years old and goes to playhome.just a week before her school was closed for summer holidays and she is already bored. she says shes bored of playing with play dough ,building blocks soft toys and such. poor thing,we dont have kids of her age nearby and she is glueing her self to the cartoon channels the whole day which i dont think is healthy.
    In the evening i take her to the parks where she plays for sometimes with other kids.i dont want to put her in any summer camps but want to keep her involved in some kind of activity at home and want some ideas for that.

so , friends please suggest some ways......

and have one more doubt, can i start training her in elementary writing , is this the right age for it?

2. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

How about crafts? You know, like gluing things up, making up a story board, cards etc. You might have to supervise her though.

Also, for some reason, my li'l one was obsessed with bugs at that age, he had a play magnifying lens, and kept tracking all sorts of bugs and things in the garden and bringing them in. :crazy Boys will be boys...

3. puspita

puspita Silver IL'ite

Hi madhoo78

You can do the followings....I used to do for my kid when he was just 3 (now he is 3.10)

1.You can give her paper, pencils to draw anything she wants.
    2.Teach her different shapes like Circle, Rectangle, Square, diamonds, hearts....Draw those on a paper (big size) and tell her to fill colour in them.She will be happy...
    3.Also you can start teaching her with Sleeping lines, standing lines, slanting lines etc so that it will be easy for her to write the alphabets.

My kid was very fund of pen,pencil,crayons at the age of 3.So i thought to give u this idea...
    This may help....

4. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Dear Madoo...there are lot of things you could teach her

letme list a few apart from the suggestions given by our fellow ILites

(1)first of all ,yes you can start training her with alphabets....you can make boxes with chalkpieces and write numbers/alphabets on it and ask her to jump based on the corresponding box when you call out the number/alphabets...this would be fun
    puspita's idea of training with lines can also help
    Actually you can draw small pictures from numbers like from 1 you can draw a book,2 - a swan,3-cat,4-boat etc...this would be fun learning..
    (2)there are kid's scissors available in market...get her that and train her with paper craft
    (3)spray painting with tooth brush
    (4)Clay art
    (5)small crafts like making flowers from plastic bags,crape papers etc....there are many other small crafts that you could teach her...definetely she would enjoy and along with that she would get interested in crafts tooo...i dont have to name them...there are loads available in IL
    (6)get her plants(basically flowering/vegetables) from nursery and teach her gardening...ask her to keep a name for it and tell her that its her rsponsibilty to take care of them

These are the small ideas that i could think when i read your post....if i get any more,will get back :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  5. Swashika

Swashika Silver IL'ite

hello madhoo....

writing to start is too early i feel.... if u want to start first see that she is interested..

give her a pencil and paper and make her draw standing lines and sleeping lines first..

if she enjoys that then teach her letters like I , L, T,E, F, H .... these would be easy for her to write..

then introduce slanting lines and make her write A,N,K,M,N,V,W,Z .......

if she is not willing to write just forget it... might be she is not ready for it...

the other activities you can do some role play like teache student, doctor patient etc..

if she knows colors or shapes u can ask her to find that particular color /shape in the house...
    tell her find 3 black things in the house ... or find any 3 things which is a square...

play buyer seller game... give her coins(careful) and keep some nice things like clips, bangles, toys, watch etc., play this game and she will know counting and also understand tht
    we have to give money in shop to buy things... also later on she will start to learn the denominations...

tell her story and act the story... i usually do this with Dora story books.. so i talk like the backpack, map, dora , boots and tell them the story.. that will be interesting for them too...

put on some music and make her dance ... u too join the dance... :hide:

teach her some games in the laptop... there r many games... some websites are also listed in another thread...

i will update if i remember anything more....

6. madhoo78

madhoo78 Bronze IL'ite

bringing in bugs from garden:eek:mg:,yaah! boys are boys, interest of boys and girls differ a lot. thanks for the suggestion dear,i do some crafts but never let her near.now i will start doing some easy crafts along with her so that it motivates her.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  7. madhoo78

madhoo78 Bronze IL'ite

pushpita, thanks dear.she does know the shapes dear and they have already started out with colouring in their playhome. she does a little of colouring only when she is in a mood to.

i was doubtful about starting to teach writing at her age, but thanks dear for your suggestion, i will start her with the different kind of lines. thanks a lot dear, for taking time and giving the helpful suggestions

yaah ! they have a liking for pen and pencils because it is new to them at this age.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  8. madhoo78

madhoo78 Bronze IL'ite

swaran, thanks a lot dear for your ideas.

liked your first idea alot,drawing boxes and asking her to jump to those letter and numbers.i am sure,she will be interested in doing this and also drawing pictures for her from numbers, good idea

playing with clay, she already does and she creates different things like banana,apple, dog fish etc, she likes that very much.

i din't know about the kid scissors, i will try to buy that for her. i do alot of crafts and stitching works and i have always kept her away from the scissors even though she asks for them.

and gardening, shes well trained by me for watering the plants right from when she was 1 1/2yrs. and now she even helps me in mixing the veg peels , neem powder etc. to the mud in the pots.

thanks a ton swaran, for taking time and giving wonderful ideas , its going to help me a lot.

9. madhoo78

madhoo78 Bronze IL'ite

thank you very much swashi, liked all your ideas and suggestions a lot,
    they are very new to me and going to be very useful.

after reading your post, i have started doing things like asking her to bring things with particular colours and shapes and she's enjoying it.this one i can do even when i am in the kitchen.

i have also started with the buyer seller game, she showing a lot of interest in it.

telling stories and dancing to music along with her , i do this. but now after your post, i have started acting those stories for her she's really enjoying it a lot.

thanks my dear for those useful and wonderful ideas....

10. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

madoo dear,glad you likd my ideas...i am really so happy to know that you have already created that interest in her for gardening