1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

missed vaccinations

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by coolcat, Jul 25, 2010.

1. coolcat

coolcat New IL'ite

I recently came to know that I missed some vaccinations for my 3 year old son.

1. Prevnar

2. IPV. (I have given him oral polio vaccine ...but never IPV…is this vaccine essential now ...if yes then in how many doses it can be given now?)

3. Hib booster

Should I give him injections now?

any doctors in this forums ,please help me .

regards
    -Ira

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Ira, Prevnar is optional and is most effective only for children below the age of 2.
    OPV vs IPV OPV vs IPV This is something I read when our paed changed our son's polio vaccine from OPV to IPV. Your and your paed's call, basically.
    I am not sure about HiB boosters. Are you not done with 4 shots before the child turns 18 months (we had ours till almost the second year)? The booster between 18 months and 5 years seems to be a CDC recommendation meant specifically for the US. After being done with all his vaccs, our paed asked us to come back for vaccs only when he turns 5! Is the new booster dose an IAP recommendation too? TIA.

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

You dont need Prevnar or Hib at 3 years. IPV - let me look up IAP guidelines and get back.

Ok - this is what the IAP says:
    That means you need to give 3 doses of IPV at 0,2 and 6 months (0 being the start date at which you give dose 1).

V.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  4. coolcat

coolcat New IL'ite

Thanks a lot for replying tikka and aadhusmom :bowdown.

Aadhusmom’s I have a question to ask you. What do you mean when you say “You dont need Prevnar or Hib booster at 3 years” sorry I could not get you..
    You mean to say that these vaccines don’t have any effect now since my child has already crossed the age limit of vaccine administration.

Will these vaccines ( Prevnar or Hib booster )harm/side effects if I give them now ??

Can you please explain me? I will be highly grateful to you..:help
    I don’t want my child to miss any important vaccine.

Regards
    -Ira

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Both Pneumococci (which is what Prevnar protects you from) and H influenza B (which is what the HiB vaccine protects you from) are far more serious in children under 2 years of age. Also unimmunized children usually develop natural immunity to HiB and many strains of pneumococci by the time they are 2 and so both vaccines are not recommended for children over 3. It is not a question of safety but of giving vaccines which are unnecessary. Its always good policy to reduce vaccines to the ones children really need and not give every vaccine available simply because it is available. That last sentence is not official but my own persoanl philosophy :)

V.

6. coolcat

coolcat New IL'ite

thanks Aadhusmom for a detailed explanation ..it was really helpful ...:bowdown

i think i will give him IPV vaccine only ..

thanks again :)