Kerala Temples

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by manjumnair, Aug 17, 2007.

1. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

I read some of the posts in this forum about Kerala Temples. I would like to post some of the temples I visited during my stay in Kerala.

1. Chottanikkara Bhagavathy Temple

This temple is located near Ernakulam, about 8 km from Tripunithura. The 'Prathishta' is Bhagavathy (Rajarajeswari) who is worshipped in three different forms - as Saraswathi in the morning (draped in white), Bhadrakali in the afternoon (draped in crimson Red) and as Durga in the evening (draped in Blue). The Idol is not fixed to the ground, but mounted on loose sand.

Adjacent to the Devi Idol is an idol of Lord Vishnu in a sanctum. Vishnu and Bhagawati together are referred to as Lakshminarayana. So the prayers here address the deity as Amme Narayana, Devi Narayana and Lakshmi Narayana. "MAKOM Thozhal" is the most important festival of the temple which is celebrated in the month of Kumbham (Feb / March).

Apart from the main deity, the temple complex consists of Kizhukkavu Bhagavathy temple, temples for Sastha, Siva, Ganapathi, Nagas and other Upa-Devas. There will be many mentally ill people here always . It is believed that people with mental illness will be cured here.

Chottanikkara Temple is worth visiting. My daughter's "Choroonu" was performed there. I really love going to this temple.

2. Sree Poornathrayeesa Temple, Tripunithura
    Sree Poornathrayeesa Temple, Tripunithura is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. This is the only place in South India where one can see an odd pose of Lord Vishnu, known as 'Poornathrayeesa' sitting under the shade of five royal hoods of the divine serpent, Ananthan. It is believed that Arjuna, the third Pandava, established this temple.

Important festival of this temple is "Vrishchikoltsawam". It is believed that a couple who worships Lord Vishnu truly is always blessed with children.

We bought 'Palpayasam' as Vazhipadu from the temple. We visited the temple during Vrishchikoltsawam festival time. There were about 15 Elephants, all decorated and the "Chenda Melam" was going on at that time. It was really good to hear the Melam.

Photos :
    ------
    1. Chottanikkara Temple
    2. Chottanikkara Bhagavathi
    3 & 4. Sree Poornathrayeesa Temple

Attached Files:

2. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

It is very auspicious to visit the three Siva temples Vaikom Mahadevar Temple , Kaduthuruthy Thaliyil Mahadeva Temple and Ettumanoor Mahadeva Temple, on the same day. It is believed that the 'Prathishta" in these three temples are done on the same day. So one has to start from Vaikom temple in the morning, then Kaduthuruthy temple and lastly Ettumanoor temple.

We have done a visit in the above manner when we were in Kochi. We started off with Vaikom temple.

Vaikom Mahadeva Temple :

Vaikom Mahadevar temple is one of the most celebrated Shiva temples in South India. Vaikom Mahadevar manifests himself as Dakshinamurthy in the panthiradi pooja in the morning,as Kiraata Murthy during Uchcha pooja and as Satchitananda in the evening. Siva here is known as 'Annadanaprabhu'. One can get food from the temple on all days.

Vaikom temple is located at a distance of 33km south of Ernakulam and 40 km north of Kottayam. The main festival of the temple is 'Vaikathu ashtami' celebrated in February-March and in November and December. A large number of devotees visit the temple on these days. One has to stand in long lines to go into the temple and see Mahadeva.
    Kaduthuruthy Mahadeva Temple :
    Kaduthuruthy Mahadeva Temple is situated midway between Vaikom and Kottayam at Kaduthuruthy. A ceremonial 10 day festival is conducted at the temple every year, but it is not so famous as the one at Vaikom or Ettumanoor.

The idols of Vaikathappan and Ettumanoor and Ettumanoorappan are also there in this temple. So one who is visiting this temple will get the benefit of visiting all the three temples.

Ettumanoor Mahadeva Temple :
    Ettumanoor is located 12 Kms north-east of Kottayam town. The mural paintings on the walls inside and outside the gopuram of the Ettumanoor temple are quite famous. One of the main attraction in this temple is the Ezharaponnana (7 and a 1/2 elephant made of gold). Ettumanoor Mahadeva Temple has a ten-day annual festival which falls in February / March and concludes on the day of Thiruvathira. 'Ezharaponnana Ezhunallathu' is a procession of the golden elephants on the 8th day of the festival.

This temple is a main pilgrim centre of the devotees who go to Sabarimala. 'Thulabharam' and 'Choroonu' of children are done here as an offering to Lord Shiva.

Photos :
    -------
    1. Vaikom Temple
    2. Vaikathappan Idol
    3. Ettumanoor Temple

Attached Files:

3. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Hi Manju,

This is interesting info on the temples. I would also like to mention the 'Sri Padmanabhaswamy' temple in Trivandrum. This temple is dedicated to Padmanabhswamy and is built in the typical kerala style of architechture with open courtyards. The image of Lord Padmanabha is in gold and is very beautiful. The temple itself is in the heart of Trivandrum city. Another famous temple in Kerela is the Sri Guruvayoor temple.

Mythraeyi

4. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Hi Manju,
    Nice post.Brings back old memories...We used to visit so many temples .Every year we start from pazhavangadi Ganapathy temple(Trivandrum) and try to cover almost all temples on our way to Guruvayur(our ultimate destination)With God's grace we were able to cover many temples...hope to visit the ones we missed in the coming years(only with God's grace)Keep posting...

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi manju,

I am an ardent devotee of chottanikkara bagawathi. This is thier official website. and u can see the deeparadhana in the evening everyday.
    --AMME NARAYANA DEVI NARAYANA Sri Chottanikara Amma

What about the vadakkunnatha temple.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  6. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Re: Kerala Temples - Vadkkumnathan Temple, Thrissur

Vadkkumnathan Temple, Thrissur

Vadkkumnathan Temple, Thrissur is one of the largest Shiva temples in Kerala. This temple is considered as one of the first Siva temples established by Saint Parasuraman. The temple is located in the heart of Thrissur. The city gets its name from the temple. Thrissur is also known as "Thrissivaperoor" which literally translates to "The city of the sacred Shiva".

In the shrine, Shiva Idol is not visible as it is covered under a mount of ghee, formed by the daily 'abhisheka' with ghee over the years. According to a belief, this is considered as the snow-clad Mount Kailas, the abode of Parvathy and Parameswara. There are shrines for Shiva - Parvati, Sri Rama, Lord Krishna, Lord Ganesh, Vrishabha, Parasurama, Simhodara, Dharmasastha and Adi Sankaracharya. There is no annual festival for Vadakkumnathan. An important ceremony in the temple is Shivarathri. The murals in the temple are known for its rarity.

The world famous "Thrissur Pooram" is conducted in the Thekkinkadu maidan, encircling the Vadkkumnathan Temple. Vadakkumnathan does not participate in this pooram. He lends his premises for pooram and stands as a spectator only. The main participants in the Pooram are Paramelkavu Devi and Thiruvambadi Krishnan. Thrissur Pooram is the most colourful temple festival of Kerala and it attracts large masses of devotees and spectators from all parts of the state.

Attached Files:

7. epics

epics Senior IL'ite

Hi Manju:
    I got your postings through my daily subscriptions to this thread. You won't believe this ! Today morning while I was reciting slogas, I was thinking that I don't have a big picture of chottanikkara amma (yes I have a small stamp size picture). Then I am viewing this thread today and your postings !
    amme mahamaye saranam..

amme narayana devi narayana
    lakshmi narayana bhandre narayana

I am blessed.. Could you post pictures of deities along with the pictures of temples here..

8. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Let me see if I can get the photos of deities along with the pictures of temples... If I get any, I will definitely post them here.

9. epics

epics Senior IL'ite

Thank you Manju. I appreciate all of your efforts. I understand it is easy for me sit here and request for pictures and getting them won't be that easy.

10. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Re: Kerala Temples - Panachikkad Saraswati Temple

Panachikkad Saraswati Temple

Panachikkadu Mookambika Temple is also known as Dakshina Mookambika. The temple is dedicated to Goddess Saraswati, the Goddess of letters and learning and is very famous for 'Vidyarambham'. This is one of the prominent Saraswathi Temples in Kerala. Panachikkadu is located about 11km away from Kottayam town. Panachikkadu can be reached from Chingavanam (4 km).

The main deity in the temple Lord Mahavishnu. Devotees worship Mahavishnu before worshipping Goddess Saraswathi in this temple. Ganapathy, Shiva, Sasthavu and Yakshi are worshipped as sub deities in Panachikkadu temple.

Devi Saraswathi does not have a temple structure here in this temple. The idol of the Goddess is beneath a Pond, completely covered over with a green creeper. The creeper never withers. The annual festival at panachikkadu Saraswathy temple is held during Navarathri and the last three days, Durgashtami, Mahanavami and Vijayadasami are considered to be the most sacred for worship. The ceremony of Vidyarambham (formal initiation into the letters of the alphabet) for the children is held on Vijayadashami (last day of Navaratri) day.

Photos :
    1. Panachikkadu Saraswati Photo
    2 & 3. Goddess Saraswati Photos

Attached Files: