1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

You Are What You Think - Valarppom Thannambikkai - 12

Discussion in 'Sundays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, May 20, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

You Are What You Think!

The marriage feast is just over. People are relaxing in the large room adjoining the dining hall. Some are dozing; some are chewing betel leaf relishing the taste of the onion sambar they had had a few minutes before.

A miscreant shouts at them:” Oh, My God, they just found a dead lizard in the sambar.”

Everyone panics. Some become really sick. Others rush to the nearest rest room. Soon they are all put in a large vehicle and taken to the nearest hospital. Invariably all of them manifest signs of food poisoning. They are given first aid and return safely after an hour.

The beauty of the incident is that there was no lizard in the sambar. It was a lie. But people believed it so intensely that it manifested as real food poisoning symptoms in the body. This proves the power of human mind. It can visualise both good and the bad and make it come true.

But there is a subtle difference here. When we visualise something good we are very vague and dream only in very broad terms. You tell a middle class fellow that he had won Rs. 1 crore in a lottery scheme.

Ask him to visualise that kind of a windfall. He would blurt out,”Oh I will first settle the milk-vendors accounts. Then pay the rent for the last two months. Who knows I will even pay off the 5000 Rs. Loan from my colleague.” How peevish! How vague!

But when people imagine about food poisoning caused by a dead lizard they are dead-precise. That is why they could manifest that symptoms in their body. Ultimately all our diseases are psychosomatic.

That is why experts strongly advise us that we need to have some kind of training in imagining something good.

I remember an exhibition cricket match played between a Madurai Team and a Chennai Team long back. Batsmen from <st1:City><st1:place>Madurai</st1:place></st1:City> were blasting the balls bowled by one Mohan, supposed to be an ace bowler of the Chennai Team. Chennai Team was in the verge of a stinging defeat.

They had a flash. During the lunch break, two Chennai players spotted a single <st1:City><st1:place>Madurai</st1:place></st1:City> player having lunch alone. They deliberately occupied the table adjacent to him and within his earshot were discussing about the sports career of Mohan.

One Chennai player said to the other, “Do you know that Mohan is already playing in the Ranjit Trophy? I have reliable information that he is likely to be a part of the Indian Team that is going to tour <st1:place>West Indies</st1:place> this September.”

The <st1:City><st1:place>Madurai</st1:place></st1:City> man who ‘overheard’ this conversation relayed it faithfully to his team members. The information was totally false. Yet it demotivated the <st1:City><st1:place>Madurai</st1:place></st1:City> team. Now they were afraid to face the balls of a prospective Indian Team player. They lost the match in no time.

That lie was like the imaginary lizard in the sambar; but the fear it created was very real.

What the Chennai people did was nothing short of psychological terrorism. We are not discussing the values here. What is relevant here is the seed of fear cleverly sown in the minds of the Madurai People which ultimately led to their downfall.

Don’t let anybody sow the seeds of fear in you. Train yourselves to think, to imagine, to visualise good things constantly. There is no surer road to success and happiness.

Varalotti Rengasamy

sindmani and bhuvisrini like this.

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

good counselling sridhar,
    mm wondering how this chapter came out in english, did u translate to fecilitate our members it looks like it.. hey and u remind me of thiruvilayadal, chokka saying modalle anda paalkaran kadaney theerkanum...nice and apt to its title...regards sunkan

3. varalotti

Dear Sundari,
    I did translate it for the benefit of the members. As IL has now become an international forum and as there were many requests for the English version, I did it.
    Thanks for the nice words,
    sridhar

4. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Jr. Sri,

Thanks for the translation in English. You made my job easier.

I find your series very motivating for both the adolescent growing to adult and kid turning into adolescent in my life.

5. kswati

kswati New IL'ite

:thankyou2: Let me thankyou for accepting the request and doing the transalation. Yes, so very true the thought is which many many people around us many a times do to satisfy their ego, or to get rid of their fears by putting it in someones mind, or even using it to pull the person climbing the ladder. The simili of Lizard given is really apt.
    Thanks again.

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

That was indeed a very stimulating write up. The art of "positive thinking" , very few can actually accomplish this. Our lives are governed by the fear factor. Our thinking alsways begins with " What if" in a negative way.
    Yes i definitely agree with you: " We are what we think".

Vandhana

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,

A very accurate summing up of how the human mind works when faced with fear and stress. I love the way you can analyze these psycho aspects of the human mind.
    I have tried very hard to separate myself from my fears. These days, I can sit back and rewind my thoughts and see how I react to a given situation today and how I reacted to it yesterday and the week before. So when the same fear crops up again, I tell myself that nothing is different, only the way I am looking at it is!
    The tricks our mind can play and the havoc it can cause with our emotions...oh my!

L, Kamla

8. varalotti

Thanks Sundari. I did translate it. For two reasons. One a few members who cant read Tamil expressed their desire to read these articles. And two, there were some etiquette issues of providing links to a newspaper site which does not provide reciprocal links to IL.
    Hence the translation. In fact I wrote that paal kanakku part inspired by Thiruvilaiyadal. That scene is acid-etched in my heart.
    thanks once again.
    sridhar

9. varalotti

Dear Chitra,
    Thanks.
    I am happy to know that my writings have been of help to young people. Thats the greatest reward for articles like these.
    regards,
    sridhar

1 person likes this.
  10. varalotti

Dear Swathi,
    You are most welcome. Many people around us put their fears in us, mostly unwittingly or even unconsciously. We should not let them do that.
    Swathi, I saw you reading my serail stories. Want to know wha do you think about them. You may pm me or post your views in the respective forum
    regards,
    sridhar